Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

De_Bunk

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  19:24:20  Show Profile Send De_Bunk a Private Message
Then, four days ago i quit...

Finding it a bit hard i decided to go to the "How to stop smoking" advice /forum and one particular post caught my eye.

This post claimed that "If you ask God to come into your life...he will take away all the cravings and guarantee you will stop"

Well...after 4 days of not smoking...thats the last f***ing thing i need to see...

I replied in my usual,thoughtful manner..asking..

"How is a supposedly invisible being in the sky, thats never proven itself to exist, gonna help me quit...because the only thing i got faith in, is the Nicotine Replacement patches i got stuck on my ass..those patches are more helpful than relying on a magical being that "Moves in mysterious ways"...I believe in whats proven to exsist...and i didnt come here for a f***kin' sermon..I didnt see no banner proclaiming "Christians..Kick the habit with Gods help"...If you use god as your aid to quit, you'll be back on it within a week and no doubt you'll lay the blame on Satan...keep puffing, christian...You'll soon find that Nicotine means more to you than god himself.."

And an hour later found myself obviously banned and unable to log-in and my post modified...

Oh dear...Its offshore, multiple proxy server time again...

De_4 days and getting irritable_Bunk

De_Bunk..."Scourge of the Believer....(Ex-JREF Kid)

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  19:35:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Good luck. I quit 15 years ago and haven't had one since. Now I'm dealing with weight. Some good ideas at

http://www.rational.org/
http://www.rational.org/Structure.html
http://www.rational.org/Taming.FB.html

mostly about drinking, but also about weight loss, and I think that all can be applied to smoking.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Legallee Insane
Skeptic Friend

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 11/27/2002 :  23:17:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Legallee Insane a Private Message
I just have to point out, good for you for having quit for the past 15 years, but weight problems are caused by eating too much, not smoking too little.

--"Only the fool says in his heart: There is no god -- The wise says it to the world"
--"I darn you to HECK!" - Catbert
--"Don't worry, we're not laughing at you, we're laughing near you."
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  04:39:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Didn't mean to say that they were related, except that they are similar problems having to do with making decisions and acting on those decisions.

Certainly, no deity is going to have a thing to do with either, which was the original point. AA is a fraud.

quote:
Originally posted by Legallee Insane

I just have to point out, good for you for having quit for the past 15 years, but weight problems are caused by eating too much, not smoking too little.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  05:11:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
As a tobacco chewer (yeah, yeah, I know. Freakin' redneck!) I've not had a smoke problem (a cigar now and then). Sometimes I wonder about quitting, though.

Maybe someday.....

Wishing luck De, and more important: fortitude.

f

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Kilted_Warrior
Skeptic Friend

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  10:38:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Kilted_Warrior a Private Message
Though it has been proven that people quitting smoking do gain weight becase they have to do something to occupy them, and most of the time it is eating
Go to Top of Page

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  12:58:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
De_Bunk: you're just now getting irratible? What on earth were you calling it before?
Go to Top of Page

De_Bunk

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  13:49:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send De_Bunk a Private Message
Lisa...

I hope nobody is getting the idea that im a total obnoxious, skeptical b*st*rd...who bought a Mercedes that's using up all his money, who's given up smoking, drinking and began dieting...

All at the same time.

Feelin' the strain...Nah...not me...

Im just waiting for the Jehovahs Witnesses to come a knockin'...

Im just sitting....silently....facing the door...taping cocktail sticks to my fingers...with 666 written in lipstick on my forehead...hoping to see their happy, smug smiling faces...

Oh yeh...

I'm happy and normal today....

De_Bunk..."Scourge of the Believer....(Ex-JREF Kid)
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2002 :  17:37:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Go for it, De!

f

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Fireballn
Skeptic Friend

Canada
179 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2002 :  16:40:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fireballn a Private Message
Hey filthy, I'm a proud chewer myself. I've noticed that nobody ever messes with a chewer. They ban smokers from almost every public place you can imagine, but they won't say a thing to a chewer. I guess they figure that if we can put that rancid smelling crud in our mouths, and like it, there's really nothing we won't do. And about the 'redneck' thing don't sweat it we have a saying: "You either chew tobacca or ya suck c*ck."

If i were the supreme being, I wouldn't have messed around with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers 8 o'clock day one!
-Time Bandits-
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2002 :  18:40:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I hear ya!

Once I was on jury duty for 2 days. All the smokers were quietly whacking out whilst I sucked happily on a lip-full of Copenhagen through the whole thing. Oh, by the way, we aquitted.

For a chew, I like Black Maria plug. Red Man or Mail Pouch'll do in a pinch.

Are the rest of y'all disgusted yet?

f

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 11/29/2002 :  18:51:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
Nope. Not disgusted yet... kinda reminds me of the Chris LeDoux (sp?) song, Copenhagen. Pretty funny.
Go to Top of Page

Wurrwakh the Ass Monkey

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  01:32:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Wurrwakh the Ass Monkey a Private Message
I read the stuff about quitting at mayoclinic.com, just for some pointers, and have decided that my next vacation week (in early January) will be my quitting week. To keep my hands busy, I'm going to clean out my junk room. To fend off weight gain, I've been changing my eating habits over the past couple of months so when I do start munching, it will be carrots instead of Cheetos. I say this as I light another cigarette. :)

--Wurrwakh, A.M.
Go to Top of Page

welshdean
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  03:10:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send welshdean a Private Message
try my method of quitting;
use 2 nicotine patches instead of the normal singular method. DO NOT adhere them to your butt or arms etc, put one patch OVER EACH EYE, it won't stop the cravings but it'll stop you finding your cigarettes!!!!!!!

"Frazier is so ugly he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life."

"I am America. I am the part you won't recognize, but get used to me. Black, confident, cocky. My name, not yours. My religion, not yours. My goals, my own. Get used to me."

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."

---- Muhammad Ali

Go to Top of Page

Wurrwakh the Ass Monkey

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 12/16/2002 :  03:39:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Wurrwakh the Ass Monkey a Private Message
I'm actually very good at torturing myself, so I think I'll be able to do this. I'll just do something bad, or pretend I did something bad, so I feel as though I deserve to have to quit.

--Wurrwakh, A.M.
Go to Top of Page

Dr Shari
Skeptic Friend

135 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2002 :  02:36:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dr Shari a Private Message
Quitting Smoking is good staying off is better. To filthy you run an even bigger chance of cancer then a smoker. When you have to have your jaw removed along with your throat from years of stuffing tobacco in your cheek you'll be just as bad off as a smoker. Tobacco kills not just smoking. It still increases heart disease also. If you chew filthy is a good name for you. Not just medically I find the thing that killed my grandfather just as disgusting as lighting up. How does you woman stand to kiss you? No personal attack here just a hatred for tabacco. It is one of the most suicidal substances out there, YUCK!!

Death: The High Cost of Living
It is easier to get forgiveness then to get permission!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.