Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

LordofEntropy
Skeptic Friend

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2002 :  00:22:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit LordofEntropy's Homepage Send LordofEntropy a Private Message
Nessie is the Loch Ness monster.

Entropy just isn't what it used to be.
Go to Top of Page

NottyImp
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
143 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2002 :  05:24:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send NottyImp a Private Message
quote:
But if you were to draw parallels bewteen some of the information could it not be said that several theories could possibly fit into biblical doctrine.

How? And if they do, so what?

"My body is a temple - I desecrate it daily."
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2002 :  08:17:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
I am pretty sure you forgot the Loch Ness monster. Very popular! Lets try not to leave him/her out of the picture next time.

I am interested in the BB and its possible parallels with an infinite creator. Is it not plausible for such a thing to happen.
Here is my point, the bible is a book written and re-written for thousands of years so obviously you cannot take it word for word. But if you were to draw parallels bewteen some of the information could it not be said that several theories could possibly fit into biblical doctrine.

What must be remembered is that while the various composers and adbridgers of the Bible were certainly as intellegent as outselves, they had a lot less to work with. The scientific studies of the Cosmos have rocketed (hehe) fordward in only the last, few decades due to ever improving tools of observation. They will continue to do so.

It must be further remembered that the ancients also had all of out failings -- superstition, gullibility, advarice, impulsivness, and so forth. The difference is that now, it can be comfirmed. Mostly, anyway. Stay tuned for more!

Could a supernatural entity have caused the BB? Sure. It's a hypothisis, anyway. But to give it any creadence, we must first establish the existance of the supernatural. This is yet to be done.

f

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Legallee Insane
Skeptic Friend

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2002 :  09:00:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Legallee Insane a Private Message
Point well taken filthy. Your exactly right. It is nothing more than a mere hypothesis, and not even a good one really, that I threw out on the table for discussion.

--"Only the fool says in his heart: There is no god -- The wise says it to the world"
--"I darn you to HECK!" - Catbert
--"Don't worry, we're not laughing at you, we're laughing near you."
Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2002 :  14:07:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by a65phalcon

quote:
The class of absurdities which cannot be disproven is unbounded. It includes Aliens, Baal, Ghosts, Jesus, Kali, Leprchauns, Mithra, Nessie, Past Life Regression, Reincarnation, Unicorns, Vishnu, Yeti, YHWH, etc. What methodology would you suggest as a means of preferentially accepting some subset of this class? On what basis would you feel justified in rejecting the rest?
I am pretty sure you forgot the Loch Ness monster. Very popular! Lets try not to leave him/her out of the picture next time.
You're wrong. Please keep that in mind as you share the other areas in which you are "pretty sure". Now, please answer the questions.

quote:
Originally posted by a65phalcon

I am interested in the BB and its possible parallels with an infinite creator. Is it not plausible for such a thing to happen.
What is your criteria for declaring something plausible?

For the philosophical naturalist, the rejection of supernaturalism is a case of "death by a thousand cuts." -- Barbara Forrest, Ph.D.
Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2002 :  14:21:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Legallee Insane

It is nothing more than a mere hypothesis, and not even a good one really, that I threw out on the table for discussion.
Perhaps if it is 'not even a good mere hypothesis' it's not an hypothesis at all. See, for example, What is an Hypothesis.

If the term is to refer to anything more substantive than idle conjecture, it must refer to something that is both testable and falsifiable. Otherwise, every faerie tale can claim the status of 'hypothesis'.

For the philosophical naturalist, the rejection of supernaturalism is a case of "death by a thousand cuts." -- Barbara Forrest, Ph.D.
Edited by - ConsequentAtheist on 12/03/2002 14:22:30
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.