Religion
 Paleography v Radiocarbon Dating
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2002 :  08:14:46  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
Permit me to begin with a quote:
quote:
Libby and his team intially tested the radiocarbon method on samples from prehistoric Egypt. They chose samples whose age could be independently determined. A sample of acacia wood from the tomb of the pharoah Zoser (or Djoser; 3rd Dynasty, ca. 2700-2600 BC) was obtained and dated. Libby reasoned that since the half-life of C14 was 5568 years, they should obtain a C14 concentration of about 50% that which was found in living wood (see Libby, 1949 for further details). The results they obtained indicated this was the case. Other analyses were conducted on samples of known age wood dendrochronologically aged). Again, the fit was within the value predicted at ±10%. The tests suggested that the half-life they had measured was accurate, and, quite reasonably, suggested further that atmospheric radiocarbon concentration had remained constant throughout the recent past.

In 1949, Arnold and Libby (1949) published their paper "Age determinations by radiocarbon content: Checks with samples of known age" in the journal Science. In this paper they presented the first results of the C14 method, including the "Curve of Knowns" in which radiocarbon dates were compared with the known age historical dates (see figure 1). All of the points fitted within statistical range.

- see Curve of Knowns

Whether the topic be The Synoptic Problem or Historicity we are confronted with dates based entirely on paleographic estimates, yet there seems to be no Curve of Knowns validating, much less calibrating, paleographic results.

I just today came across 14C Dating of Scrolls and Linen Fragments from the Judean Desert. I have yet to study it, but it clearly seems worthy of review.

For the philosophical naturalist, the rejection of supernaturalism is a case of "death by a thousand cuts." -- Barbara Forrest, Ph.D.

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  09:43:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
Slater, I would be interested in knowing whether or not the data cited above leads you to be any more accepting of paleographic dating as a viable methodology for dating early manuscripts.

For the philosophical naturalist, the rejection of supernaturalism is a case of "death by a thousand cuts." -- Barbara Forrest, Ph.D.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  10:28:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ReasonableDoubt

Slater, I would be interested in knowing whether or not the data cited above leads you to be any more accepting of paleographic dating as a viable methodology for dating early manuscripts.

Although I am not Slater, but merely me, I didn't see any mention of dating for the "Gospel of Mary".

As I read through the text, I wondered why no comment, one way or the other, was made about dating (--whether C-14 or some other method--) of the scroll.

Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life. --Falstaff
Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2002 :  11:45:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
Computer Org, did you have anything to say that was on topic?

Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2002 :  12:25:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
quote:

Computer Org, did you have anything to say that was on topic?

Yes, I thought so.
  1. Your comment to Slater;
  2. Paleographic methods of dating;
  3. Radiocarbon methods of dating;
  4. Slater's interest in Gnostic stuff;
  5. The Gnostic's interest in the "Gospel of Mary".
Sorry to have offended your sensibilities, my delicious ReasonableDoubt.

Go to Top of Page

ConsequentAtheist
SFN Regular

641 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2002 :  12:54:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ConsequentAtheist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Computer Org

I'm sure that the offense was no more than was intended, but I still do not understand the relevancy of your comment. Did you have something that you wanted to say about the 14C dating as cross-referenced to paleographic estimates?

Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2002 :  13:21:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Computer Org

I'm sure that the offense was no more than was intended, but I still do not understand the relevancy of your comment. Did you have something that you wanted to say about the 14C dating as cross-referenced to paleographic estimates?

No.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.