Astronomy
 Mirror Matter: A Nobel Prize in the Waiting
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2002 :  13:59:43  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
As the basic reference for Mirror Matter, I offer this article from Science News: The notion seems to be roughly the same as "handedness" that one finds in many biomolecules. The genesis seems to (at least partly) come from a article published in 1956 by Lee and Yang--awarded the Nobel Prize in Physics for the article just one year later. It concerned the loss of the generally universally accepted concept of symmetry. Science News says, for example
quote:
"Many physicists were upset by the asymmetry," recalled Robert Adair of Yale University in the February 1988 Scientific American. "I remember feeling that I no longer could hold anything I knew as being certain."
As to the origins of Mirror Matter, Science News writes
quote:
In their 1956 journal article, Lee and Yang noted that the symmetry could be restored if a parallel universe existed in which neutrinos rotated in the opposite sense clockwise to that in our world. Considered together, the two worlds would restore the symmetry that appears to be lacking in each. (Emphasis added)
Mirror Matter is invisible and therein lies the rub. ScienceNews writes:
quote:
Similarly, a chunk of mirror matter, such as a mirror asteroid, could have a dramatic impact if it collides with Earth. Because it's made of mirror particles, the asteroid wouldn't burn up in Earth's atmosphere. It still could wreak havoc when it struck Earth's surface, however, if mirror photons transform into ordinary ones. In that case, the collision would generate a huge release of energy with nary a trace of a crater. (Emphasis added)
R.Foot's Univ of Melborne web page on Mirror Matter is here: http://www.ph.unimelb.edu.au/~foot/

(Edited to delete link to Space.com.)

Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life. --Falstaff

Edited by - Computer Org on 10/16/2003 09:13:05

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  06:44:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
Intergalactic collisions? Hmmmmm.

Astroidal impactors on Earth? I think that this subject is one of the seven most-serious problems currently facing us. We are doing next-to-nothing about this problem.

Go to Top of Page

welshdean
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2003 :  15:36:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send welshdean a Private Message
Mmmmm, haven't heard this stuff mentioned for a while, I thought it had been 'put to bed'.
I prefer to lean toward the 'Brane' theory that was suggested by Paul Townsend (Dept of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, Cambridge). Put briefly a Brane is described thus:
"an object, which appears to be a fundamental ingredient of M-theory, that can have a variety of spatial dimensions. In general, a p-brane is a string, a 2-brane is a surface or membrane etc." For the interested parties out there the above quote is from "The Universe in a Nutshell" Stephen Hawking (Bantam Press - ISBN 0-593-04815-6)

"Frazier is so ugly he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life."

"I am America. I am the part you won't recognize, but get used to me. Black, confident, cocky. My name, not yours. My religion, not yours. My goals, my own. Get used to me."

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."

---- Muhammad Ali

Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2003 :  07:15:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by welshdean

Mmmmm, haven't heard this stuff mentioned for a while, I thought it had been 'put to bed'.
I prefer to lean toward the 'Brane' theory that was suggested by Paul Townsend (Dept of Applied Mathematics and Theoretical Physics, Cambridge).
<snip>
Ahh. I, too, favor the "Brane" theory (--isn't that [roughly] "Inflation Theory"? Out of Princeton Univ. in New Jersey??).

However, I didn't think that the Aussie (Melbourne) view of Mirror Matter was in any conflict with branes, strings, etc.

Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2003 :  09:03:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
By the way:

There may be absolutely nothing in this thought but the "Mirror Matter" as described by Dr. Foot (--for example, astroidal impacts which leave no detectable debris--) may be the perfect place to find the hypothesized "Dark Matter".

I, at least, (admittedly a very-non-physicist) don't see any conflict between the two concepts.

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  01:00:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Computer Org

By the way:

There may be absolutely nothing in this thought but the "Mirror Matter" as described by Dr. Foot (--for example, astroidal impacts which leave no detectable debris--) may be the perfect place to find the hypothesized "Dark Matter".

I, at least, (admittedly a very-non-physicist) don't see any conflict between the two concepts.

The "Dark Matter" problem is bigger than that... Even if we had mirror matter, it would still only be a fraction of the Dark Matter/Energy needed to explain observed phenomenon.
And where would the mirror matter be? Would it occupy the same space as ordinary matter, or would it be "evenly" distributed in space.
How would mirror matter interact with gravity? If so, and if there was any larger concentration of mirror matter in the vicinity of Earth, we would have detected it by now, I guess.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  07:00:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
Dr. Mabuse:

As the Science News article puts it, "In their 1956 journal article, Lee and Yang noted that the symmetry could be restored if a parallel universe existed...."

From this I assume that such a parallel universe wouldn't exist in our space-time; although as Dr. Foot says, it would/does have effects in our space-time---and, I suppose, we have effects on theirs.

Although it's been many months since I visited there, Dr. Foot's web-site is well worth reading. It's fairly clear (--he's a theoretical physicist--) and lucid----pictures and everything.

R. Foot's Univ. of Melborne web page on Mirror Matter can be found at this link: http://www.ph.unimelb.edu.au/~foot/

All in all, a very interesting proposal.

Edited to add this link giving some late (26 Aug 2003) research tied to your last post, Dr. Mabuse. (Title: "Stongest specific evidence (yet) for mirror matter-type dark matter)

Also: While it may or may not apply, Dr. Foot gives this link to a Softcom story which he calls The biggest 'meteorite' explosion since the 1908 Tunguska event hits siberia again!.

(The Softcom headline reads: "Giant meteorite wrecked huge area of Siberian forest in 2002")

Edited by - Computer Org on 10/16/2003 09:01:15
Go to Top of Page

walt fristoe
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2003 :  10:23:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send walt fristoe a Private Message
I read somewhere recently that the matter in this theoretical parallel universe could have gravitational consequences for our own universe, possibly affecting the expansion parameters. My own view is that the accelerated expansion is due, not to the amount of matter/energy in the universe (or lack thereof), but instead to the topological/geometrical shape of space/time. Whether the universe is ultimately toroidal or a "dimpled rubber sheet", the shape would affect the expansion.

"If God chose George Bus of all the people in the world, how good could God be?"
Bill Maher
Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2003 :  06:26:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by walt fristoe

I read somewhere recently that the matter in this theoretical parallel universe could have gravitational consequences for our own universe, possibly affecting the expansion parameters.
As I understand Dr. Foot's paper, one of the driving real-world factors is meteor-impact sites which don't leave any "normal universe" matter behind. He seems to be saying that the impactors were mirror-matter from the 'parallel universe' and that while the impactor can't be detected directly, the impact itself was due to the "gravitational consequences".

It's all pretty much over my head, though.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.