Community Forums
 General Discussion
 THE WORLD THAT WASN'T
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paulskeptic

1 Post

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  19:17:04  Show Profile Send paulskeptic a Private Message
In the 70's the workweek actually went down to 36 hours for some people and there was talk about the 30 hour workweek being just around the corner! What would people do with all that free time in the future? Self-realization, anybody remember that Universal health care was assumed. Space travel was a given.
Religion was on the ropes and your dysfunctional family was just people you had to put-up with until you were old enough to choose whom you lived with.

These are just a few examples of the “world that never was” anybody like to add to these? Could be fun.

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 12/28/2002 :  21:20:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
I have designed a bracket that will attach a PC to the inside of the stall door at the rest room in your office. That way YOU WILL NEVER BE ABLE TO STOP WORKING

-------
I learned something ... I learned that Jehovah's Witnesses do not celebrate Halloween. I guess they don't like strangers going up to their door and annoying them.
-Bruce Clark
There's No Toilet Paper...on the Road Less Traveled
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 12/29/2002 :  06:21:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
quote:
In the 70's the workweek actually went down to 36 hours for some people and there was talk about the 30 hour workweek being just around the corner!
Damn! I wish someone would remind your friendly neighborhood oil field service and construction companies about that! I still work between fifty and ninety hours per week. Holidays? There oughttta' be a law!

Sorry, just venting some petroleum based steam products...I hope everyone is enjoying their holiday season, and welcome paulskeptic.

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

Legallee Insane
Skeptic Friend

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  14:47:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Legallee Insane a Private Message

Whatever happened to "the building and cars of tomorrow"?

You know, those buildings that were all supposed to be big domes and bubbles on tiny foundations, everything was curved and had no straight edges. And the rocket powered jet cars that hovered above the ground and could get you from city to city in five minutes.

--"Only the fool says in his heart: There is no god -- The wise says it to the world"
--"I darn you to HECK!" - Catbert
--"Don't worry, we're not laughing at you, we're laughing near you."
Go to Top of Page

ntech

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  16:24:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit ntech's Homepage Send ntech a Private Message
The show about the future shown at the Worlds Fair (I believe it was 1963)is funny when they show it today. Some things were far fetched and others they hadn't even dreamed of.

In 1963 they had no idea that a unit in the home would communicate through audio, video, text and more to millions throughout the world. They did not see the Internet coming. There are great technologies but they are just starting to be available to most households.
Take a look at:
http://www.skypadtech.com/index.html

http://www.newtechnologyhome.com/

Faith is to the human what sand is to the ostrich. - Anonymous
Edited by - ntech on 01/01/2003 16:27:22
Go to Top of Page

Kilted_Warrior
Skeptic Friend

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2003 :  19:17:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Kilted_Warrior a Private Message
Technology is a screwy thing. Some things that they thought would be common in homes (i.e. Robots) turned out to be too expensive to use personally, while they did become very usefull in the auto and manufacturing industries. Computers, on the other hand, turned out to be easy to mass produce, and their speed has been increasing exponentially since the late '70s.(remember the clicking computer on Star Trek, that would say "working...working"). I don't even want to try to imagine what will happen in the next ten years, let alone 50.
Go to Top of Page

TEDPOX

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  14:02:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send TEDPOX a Private Message
Actually, much of the technological forecasting from years ago has come true. Look at Star Trek. We have communicators(walkie talkies, cell phones) voice activated computers, Voice recognition typing programs and cell phones, robotic manufacturing and household robots too.(your coffee machine, VCR/DVD, TV remote timer) these are all advanced forms of robots without manipulator arms. Your vehicles are computer and "fly by wire" controlled as is your climate control in all new homes. We buy things we don't really need while online and they're at your front door the next day.
There will be, I believe, sub orbital flights for the public by airlines in a decade and some forms of affordable, personal air-transportaion for the everyday person. Not rocket cars, either.
Nanomachines are already being used in chip manufacturing and are almost ready for medical use and lasers have been used for years in many applications from surgery to recreation and military applications.
No matter how long we wait the future never quite seems to arrive. That's because it's already right in front of us just not in the romantic sense you may have thought it was going to be.

I've had about enough of me.
Go to Top of Page

Kilted_Warrior
Skeptic Friend

Canada
118 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2003 :  15:16:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Kilted_Warrior a Private Message
the problem is (and was and will be) is that cars will take a long time to advance, because you cant just have petrol one day and hydrogen power the next. The gas burning car will stay for the next 40 years at least, because most people won't be able to afford clean, efficient cars, and many others will stick to thier classic gas guzzlers. Combine that with that the oil companies are probably pretty friendly with the car manufactures, and legeslation will take a long time to pass for enviromental rebates and so on.
Here in Canada, the Kyoto Accord was just passed, which may speed things along a bit, but it won't be for a long time till Hydro cars will be a common sight.

another long post from the kilted one...
Edited by - Kilted_Warrior on 01/02/2003 15:17:10
Go to Top of Page

riptor
Skeptic Friend

Germany
70 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2003 :  03:03:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit riptor's Homepage Send riptor a Private Message
TEDPOX, another one of your points already became real. In Europe, Germanwings is offering flights between Frankfurt, Istanbul, London, Paris, Pisa and some other major cities for 39 €. They only have a limited number of places for that price, but still it is great, I think.

On the other hand: Voice recognition software? You're not saying that they work better in english than in german, do they? Man, what a worthless crap (in the current state of development). The computer-controlled ticket-ordering-hotline of German Railways always makes my german cities french. :(

Hail the Big bearded Jellyfish up in heaven above.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.