Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  19:08:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
LI:
quote:

Though I don't believe in predetermination by any stretch of the imagination, perhaps it is conceivable that it would be
much like any problem you might try to solve during your typical day at work or school or any thing like that. There are
multiple ways that you could go about solving the problem that will all lead to the same conclusion. So I suppose it is
conceivable that if things were predetermined, then free will could also exist at the same time. There would be multiple
courses of action that would all, inevitably, lead to the same predetermined event.

Not bad from someone who claims he's Legalee Insane.

To deny logic you must use it.To deny Jesus Existed you must throw away all your knowledge of the ancient world. To deny ID
you must refute all analogical reasoning. So the question is why deny?
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  20:05:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by darwin alogos

If you have a source which can clarify your position of personality that isn't related to a person,by all means please share.

Well, there's a gentleman who frequents this board who might give us some insight. He's got some fascinating stories of primate behavior. Slater, are you out there?

I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery.
-Agent Smith
Go to Top of Page

Infamous
Skeptic Friend

85 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  20:40:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Legallee Insane

There is a line in a song I once heard; "The road that leads to all, leads to one."

Though I don't believe in predetermination by any stretch of the imagination, perhaps it is conceivable that it would be much like any problem you might try to solve during your typical day at work or school or any thing like that. There are multiple ways that you could go about solving the problem that will all lead to the same conclusion. So I suppose it is conceivable that if things were predetermined, then free will could also exist at the same time. There would be multiple courses of action that would all, inevitably, lead to the same predetermined event.

"The road that leads to all leads to one"..."Inner Vision" by System of a Down..."IEAIAIO" is better though...

Anyways, wouldn't your choice from one of these multiple courses of action also be known by an omniscient being?

It feels as if part of this concept of free will and predetermination goes against causality somehow. Normally, you would witness an event and know how it turns out. With foreknowledge, you would know how the event turns out, and then see it happen. Unless your knowlege of the event affects how the event turns out, there would be a violation of causality.
Edited by - Infamous on 01/21/2003 20:43:51
Go to Top of Page

Legallee Insane
Skeptic Friend

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  21:12:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Legallee Insane a Private Message
quote:
Infamous:
"The road that leads to all leads to one"..."Inner Vision" by System of a Down..."IEAIAIO" is better though...

Actually my favorite song from that album is probably "Ego Brain"
quote:
Infamous:
Anyways, wouldn't your choice from one of these multiple courses of action also be
known by an omniscient being?

It feels as if part of this concept of free will and predetermination goes against
causality somehow. Normally, you would witness an event and know how it turns out.
With foreknowledge, you would know how the event turns out, and then see it
happen. Unless your knowlege of the event affects how the event turns out, there
would be a violation of causality.

That reminds me of every movie or TV show I have ever watched (you know, the ones like "Final Destination", which was a horrible movie BTW) that asks the question we all wonder from time to time. If you could see future events before they happened, could you change them?

--"Only the fool says in his heart: There is no god -- The wise says it to the world"
--"I darn you to HECK!" - Catbert
--"Don't worry, we're not laughing at you, we're laughing near you."
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2003 :  23:17:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
Phd:
quote:
That's it? That's your refutation of my assertion that "personality" exists on an obvious continuum? Not only does your
dichotomy get falser and falser,
Actually the refutation to your assertion is what is called self-evident .Its like my little statement in order to deny logic you have to use it.By the same token in order to raise the question of "personhood" you must be one.

To deny logic you must use it.To deny Jesus Existed you must throw away all your knowledge of the ancient world. To deny ID
Edited by - darwin alogos on 01/21/2003 23:18:18
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  07:07:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
quote:

Actually the refutation to your assertion is what is called self-evident .Its like my little statement in order to deny logic you have to use it.By the same token in order to raise the question of "personhood" you must be one.

The scientific community thanks you, but alas, your definitions are not quite ready for prime time. You might want to try sticking some meaning in that circle you've got going. Ye gods.

I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery.
-Agent Smith
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  17:45:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
Phd:The scientific community thanks you, but alas, your definitions are not quite ready for prime time. You might want to try
sticking some meaning in that circle you've got going. Ye gods.
Perhaps you should try and come up with some definitions from anyone would like to go on the record as supporting your nonsensical view of non-personal personalitys

Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  19:31:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
LI:Though I don't believe in predetermination by any stretch of the imagination, perhaps it is conceivable that it would be
much like any problem you might try to solve during your typical day at work or school or any thing like that. There are
multiple ways that you could go about solving the problem that will all lead to the same conclusion. So I suppose it is
conceivable that if things were predetermined, then free will could also exist at the same time. There would be multiple
courses of action that would all, inevitably, lead to the same predetermined event.
There is a little book written by a mathematican named Abbot titledFlatland which sheds much light on this subject.

Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2003 :  21:01:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
quote:

Perhaps you should try and come up with some definitions from anyone would like to go on the record as supporting your nonsensical view of [b]non-personal personalitys

Hmm. I always considered it self evident that, with a wide range of brain configurations and sizes and a wide range of behaviors, the continuum of consciousness should be apparent. Did you know that the one behavior many psychologists consider uniquely human is the belief in a higher power/cosmic purpose?

-Agent Smith
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2003 :  07:48:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
Phd:
quote:
Hmm. I always considered it self evident that, with a wide range of brain configurations and sizes and a wide range of behaviors, the continuum of consciousness should be apparent
Really??? Did youpersonally think about this or was this just a secretion of to many 24oz beverages?

Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2003 :  08:55:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
quote:

Really??? Did youpersonally think about this or was this just a secretion of to many 24oz beverages?

No, I just got my BS in cognitive psychology. I haven't secreted 24oz beverages for some time now. I notice you ignored my comment about humans and higher power/cosmic purpose. Your apologetics books don't cover that?

-Agent Smith
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2003 :  09:38:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by PhDreamer

I haven't secreted 24oz beverages for some time now.

Wow! Personally, I've never secreted anything from my body that I'd want to drink...

Go to Top of Page

Stargirl
Skeptic Friend

USA
94 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2003 :  12:41:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Stargirl a Private Message
quote:
Did you know that the one behavior many psychologists consider uniquely human is the belief in a higher power/cosmic purpose?

PhDreamer, sorry to interrupt your trouncing of DA's spurious arguments for the existence of a God. But as a skeptic I can't let that statement pass. Am I unaware of some groundbreaking research in communicating with other species? If you have a source for this assertion I'd like to see it. Has the question of belief in a high power ever been put forth to Cocoa, (spell?) the guerilla with a negative response, or with any response for that matter?

Hey, talk about coincidence I've got the movie Juggernaut playing in the background and Richard Harris just told this joke, Two goldfish are talking and one says to the other, “There must be a God, otherwise who changes the water.”

Bad joke I know but it's just as valid as any claim I've seen DA put fourth.

If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him - Voltaire
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2003 :  14:51:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
Stargirl I work with Koko the gorilla, on an on going bases. In fact I'm getting ready for a business trip to Maui to help fund raise for her.
The only time, that I am aware of, that anyone has asked her if there was a god was during an internet chat that had been set up with her a few years back.
She said that god was a female gorilla who wore lots of red lipstick.
Go to Top of Page

PhDreamer
SFN Regular

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2003 :  15:06:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit PhDreamer's Homepage Send PhDreamer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Stargirl

PhDreamer, sorry to interrupt your trouncing of DA's spurious arguments for the existence of a God. But as a skeptic I can't let that statement pass. Am I unaware of some groundbreaking research in communicating with other species?

Nope. Just my experience talking to my professors and other behavioral psychologists.
quote:
If you have a source for this assertion I'd like to see it. Has the question of belief in a high power ever been put forth to Cocoa, (spell?) the guerilla with a negative response, or with any response for that matter?

Well, the things behaviorists look for are behaviors. Human religiosity often manifests in things we can observe, like rituals and idolatry that serve no apparent survival purpose, stuff we don't observe in animal behavior. I probably should have been clearer.

-Agent Smith
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds.