Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2003 :  00:31:52  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
Let us take a look the arguments pro and con .

To deny logic you must use it.To deny Jesus Existed you must throw away all your knowledge of the ancient world. To deny ID
you must refute all analogical reasoning. So the question is why deny?

Edited by - darwin alogos on 01/30/2003 00:32:41

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2003 :  03:42:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
It's easy enough to recognize fictional characters in fantasies. There are certain sets of attributes and restrictions that only these fantasy characters posses. Take for instance god and Harry Potter. They both live in imaginary lands that, of course, people cannot visit. Harry lives at a wizards school that no human has ever seen and god lives in the "spirit realm" on the other side of the sky with mansions and streets of gold. Both have superpowers. They can both create things by magic, and both can fly.
No one in reality can do these things.

Then they both share the same set of limitations that only the fictional suffer from. They both only exist in a series of books. Neither can be seen or heard or felt or touched or smelt. There is no evidence of Harry's or god's existence, despite the fact that both have adoring fans. No one in reality has such limitations.

If it walks like a fictional duck, and it quacks like a fictional duck...
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2003 :  05:02:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Define God...

Otherwise,
http://www.skepticfriends.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=330
* Of course, I live with a cat
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2003 :  18:49:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by darwin alogos

Let us take a look the arguments pro and con .

Exits, where? One must ask.
He, or should I say it, exits in the minds of those who think there is one.
It's like asking does love exist. I don't belive there is such a thing as love but there are so many ways different people think of it, how do you describe what it is for you?
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2003 :  19:08:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
DA, for you to bring up logic in such an instance takes real balls. You have demonstrated that you have no idea how logic works and here you have just claimed the logical high ground without actually making any argument which is your MO. Not terribly impressive me laddo.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  08:19:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
Atomic:
quote:
DA, for you to bring up logic in such an instance takes real balls. You have demonstrated that you have no idea how logic works and here you have just claimed the logical high ground without actually making any argument
Well there you go again Atomic, I really don't think you've given much thought as to the source of LOGIC have you??? Or do you now believe there is a REASON for reason, or is rational thought just a lucky happenstance of irrational impersonal forces? Do me a favor and at least think about it before you spout off the party line.(edited for word change see p.2)

To deny logic you must use it.To deny Jesus Existed you must throw away all your knowledge of the ancient world. To deny ID
Edited by - darwin alogos on 02/01/2003 00:30:21
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  10:02:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
Sure there is a reason for reason. It's called natural selection.
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  13:31:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
quote:
Hyper Dictionary
Dictionary Results
About this site
News
Linkers
Top Searches
SearchBox
Webstats

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dictionary

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thesaurus

Look up this word in the thesaurus: irrational

irrational
2 entries found.

From Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary (1913) [web1913]

Irrational \Ir*ra"tion*al\, a. [L. irrationalis: cf. F.
irrationnel. See {In-} not, and {Rational}.]
1. Not rational; void of reason or understanding; as, brutes
are irrational animals.

2. Not according to reason; absurd; foolish.

Slater:
quote:
Sure there is a reason for reason. It's called natural selection.
Would you mind explaining how from mindless matter somehow mind just emerged and on what evidence are you basing such remarkable declaration? Are you suggesting that natural selection has a mind?

Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  14:17:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by darwin alogos
Would you mind explaining how from mindless matter somehow mind just emerged

How else would it have?
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  14:20:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
Are we to take it that you are a high school drop out? Have you never taken a basic biology class? Have you never visited a natural history museum or watched a science show on TV? Can you possibly be so ignorant of the natural world as you pretend to be?
Do you really think that Neolithic superstitions are based on fact? That claiming that "mind" came about by magic words and magic breath is not absurd and foolish?
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  16:14:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Do I need to post a definition of the word "Troll"?

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  17:27:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by @tomic

@tomic

I was thinking "Tireless Rebutter" fit better...
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  20:48:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
TD:
quote:
How else would it have?
If our thoughts are merely a product of chemical reactions in our brains and logic is evolving then how can we decide between good logic and bad logic? Your view reduces our ability to REASON to pure nonrational chemical reactions.Your dissagreement with me is nothing but bad chilie last night.

Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  20:55:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
Slater:
quote:
Can you possibly be so ignorant of the natural world as...claiming that "mind" came about by magic
It is you who has BLIND FAITH in magic that SOMEHOW (and you can't say how!) that RATIONAL THINKING BEINGS came from mindless matter. Utter credulity!

Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  21:00:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
Atomic:
quote:

@tomic
I'm sorry Atomic I promise never to ask you to question your faith again.
quote:

Well there you go again Atomic, I really don't think you've given much thought as to the origin of LOGIC have you??? Or do
you now believe there is a REASON for reason, or is rational thought just a lucky happenstance of irrational impersonal
forces? Do me a favor and at least think about it before you spout off the party line.

Go to Top of Page

a65phalcon

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2003 :  21:10:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit a65phalcon's Homepage  Send a65phalcon a Yahoo! Message Send a65phalcon a Private Message
DA here is a little food for thought. I noticed that you have a numerous amount of postings on here but you have not yet come to the understanding that these "skeptics" are not "skeptics". They are in fact a group of individual whose thought processes are rooted in the many years of hopelessness they have felt. Putting aside the arguement of the exsistance of God, there is an abundant amount of information supporting the exsistance of Jesus Christ(the man, not as the Son of God). YOu can argue all day long with the majority of people on this board and it will not do a damn bit of good. I appluad the fact you have tried to sway the masses, but they will not be swayed. They won't even come to the realization of evidence let alone have a conversation with you, I say let them huddle together. Let them find comfort in their realities. To each his own.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.33 seconds.