Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 02/19/2003 :  19:10:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
Phaedrus:
quote:
Also, DA seems to have forgotten that the ad hominem argument is about as valid as dubya's political philosophy.
Because Darwin, as an individual, may have been a racist; or because Stalin, as an individual, may have been
enamoured with his own reading of Darwin's theory, does not vitiate evolutionary theory as such. The same, of course,
holds true of religious folk and their excesses.
Not at all, I've said it before on other threads that "what some followers do doesn't affect the truth-claims of any particular religious,philosophic, or scientific theory."
quote:
No wars
have been fought over the correct interpretation of E=mc2. Why does DA think that is?
I wasn't aware that I had made such a claim? Perhaps you could provide a quote demonstrating where I did?

To deny logic you must use it.To deny Jesus Existed you must throw away all your knowledge of the ancient world. To deny ID
you must refute all analogical reasoning. So the question is why deny?
Edited by - darwin alogos on 02/19/2003 19:11:29
Go to Top of Page

Antie
Skeptic Friend

USA
101 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  02:19:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Antie's Homepage  Send Antie an ICQ Message Send Antie a Private Message
> I wasn't aware that I had made such a claim? Perhaps you could
> provide a quote demonstrating where I did?

You misinterpreted the person's statement. The person didn't say that specifically you said that people fought over the correct interpretation of E=mc2. He or she gave an example of the "Religious/mystic thinking is inherantly dangerous to open, democratic societies" idea and wondered how you would explain the truth of the example.

Antie. DIES GAUDII.

Facies Fabulosarum Feminarum

If you can name all six of the females in the picture above without looking up their names, and you can read the Latin phrase, pat yourself on the back. You're smart.
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  12:24:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
Antie:
quote:
You misinterpreted the person's statement.
How I quoted it and said
quote:
I wasn't aware that I had made such a claim? Perhaps you could provide a quote demonstrating where I did?
How on earth can I have "misinterpreted" their statement when all I said was give me a reference where I said it???
quote:
He or she gave an example of the "Religious/mystic thinking is inherantly dangerous to open, democratic societies" idea and wondered how you would explain the truth of the example.
So ancient the Greek democraices had no "Religious/mystic thinking" and of course our founding fathers were all materialist right???

To deny logic you must use it.To deny Jesus Existed you must throw away all your knowledge of the ancient world. To deny ID
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  12:58:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
So ancient the Greek democraices had no "Religious/mystic thinking"
That's correct, Greek Democracy was not based on the wills of any gods but on strictly human concerns. The ancient Greek Theocracies and their Tyrants were based completely on religious and mystical thinking.

and of course our founding fathers were all materialist right???
Not all, but most. And certainly the most important ones were. That is exactly what you would expect in "The Age of Reason." The Continental churches were supporters of the divine right of kings and were generally opposed to Pagan Democracy and fought the establishment of it tooth and nail. Particularly the separation of church and state since they had had so much power up to this point.

Today churches like to claim that they invented Democracy even though they continually try to under mine it. They even deny that they supported slavery and condemned Lincoln as an Atheist (which he was) for the Emancipation Proclamation. Lying bastards.
Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2003 :  14:03:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by darwin alogos

How on earth can I have "misinterpreted" their statement when all I said was give me a reference where I said it???

Cripes man...

quote:
No wars have been fought over the correct interpretation of E=mc2. Why does DA think that is?

He's stating that no wars have been fought over interpretations of scientific ideas and theories. The question is, what is your opinion as to why this is the case?

He's not claiming you think wars have been fought over E=mc2.
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2003 :  02:21:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
TD:
quote:

He's not claiming you think wars have been fought over E=mc2.
Your right,my bad

Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2003 :  02:26:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
TD:
quote:
He's stating that no wars have been fought over interpretations of scientific ideas and theories. The question is, what is
your opinion as to why this is the case?
While it is true that "no wars have been fought over interpretations of scientific ideas..." They sure have made "wars" a lot more deadly,ie E=Mc2 leads to The Manhattan Project.

Go to Top of Page

walt fristoe
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2003 :  16:11:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send walt fristoe a Private Message
quote:

TD:
quote:
He's stating that no wars have been fought over interpretations of scientific ideas and theories. The question is, what is
your opinion as to why this is the case?
While it is true that "no wars have been fought over interpretations of scientific ideas..." They sure have made "wars" a lot more deadly,ie E=Mc2 leads to The Manhattan Project.

War is no more deadly now than it ever was. Dead is dead! When the Europeans came to the New World and killed 150 million indigenous people, that was perhaps the most deadly war in the history of our murderous specie.

Here's a reference for that number.

"If God chose George Bus of all the people in the world, how good could God be?"
Bill Maher
Edited by - walt fristoe on 02/23/2003 16:20:11
Go to Top of Page

Orpheus
Skeptic Friend

92 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  04:23:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Orpheus a Private Message
quote:

Darwin Alogos has yet to answer the question posed by Phaedrus. I've seen so many of the above-type "answers" to that question. DA may very well be confusing technology with science. Science is more of a methodology to discover certain things about the universe, as well as an attitude to what consitutes truth.

DA should also note that most scientists who worked on the Manhattan project opposed the use of the atom bomb. Non-scientists, such as generals and politicians eventually gave the green light for its use.

DA's confusion aside, here's my answer to Phaedrus's question:

Religion, unlike science, introduces the idea that certain ideas are sacred and not open to modification. Scientific theories operate with opposite assumptions. When people challenge ideas which are sacred and not open to modification, those who believe in the "sacredness" of them, tend to get quite upset. Upset enough, say, to create things like the Spanish Inquisition..

Find your own damned answers!
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  17:27:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
walt fristoe:
quote:
War is no more deadly now than it ever was. Dead is dead!
You are kidding right? While "Dead is dead" is true,you can't be serious that warfare is "is no more deadly now than it ever was"?

Go to Top of Page

walt fristoe
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  18:53:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send walt fristoe a Private Message
quote:

walt fristoe:
quote:
War is no more deadly now than it ever was. Dead is dead!
You are kidding right? While "Dead is dead" is true,you can't be serious that warfare is "is no more deadly now than it ever was"?

I suppose it depends on your definition of deadly. With modern technology, warfare can kill people more quickly, but, again, they're just as dead whether they were killed by a nuclear warhead or a massive attempt to christianize them, with fire and sword if they're unwilling to convert. It just took a few centuries longer in the case of the invasion of the new world. So if killing people more quickly means deadlier, then I'm willing to concede that modern warfare is deadlier.

However, I don't see what that has to do with the point in issue, which is : why have no wars been fought over the interpretation of scientific theories? Perhaps you could enlighten me further?

"If God chose George Bus of all the people in the world, how good could God be?"
Bill Maher
Edited by - walt fristoe on 02/24/2003 18:57:31
Go to Top of Page

darwin alogos
SFN Regular

USA
532 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2003 :  20:38:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send darwin alogos a Private Message
walt fristoe:
quote:

However, I don't see what that has to do with the point in issue, which is : why have no wars been fought over the
interpretation of scientific theories? Perhaps you could enlighten me further?

I already coceeded that point walt: [DA] While it is true that "no wars have been fought over interpretations of scientific ideas..." As to why I think Orpheus is pretty close to the mark:Scientific theories
operate with opposite assumptions. When people challenge ideas which are sacred and not open to modification, those who
believe in the "sacredness" of them, tend to get quite upset.
Now does that mean I agree that if you follow the NT your bound to lead to the horrible atrocities that have been mentioned? Not at all 2 of the churches condemened by Jesus in the book of Revelation are the ones that follow the "Doctrines of the Nicolaitans"(greek Nico= to rule; Laity=the people) and the lukewarm health wealth and prosperity Laodiceans.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.38 seconds.