Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

TG
Skeptic Friend

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  10:50:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send TG a Private Message
Heh, heh
quote:
NAZCAR
Good one Slater.
Which, of course, means He does nothing more than go around in circles.
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  11:11:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
Of course in the logical-system of Emperor C. having concocted the gospels to proclaim his "godhood", then they/it would be "Good News" indeed.
You seem to be misunderstanding, I mustn't be making myself clear. Constaintine never proclaimed himself a God. However the genre "gospel" had been around for hundreds of years before the Xians wrote their gospels. They date back to the Emperor Augustus and originally had nothing to do with anything outside of Hellenism. Gospels are a type of Roman book not specific books.

Sorry I sound a little cynical about the power-grubbing of organized religion: I am. I am not, however, cynical about "spirituality" as a most-excellent philosophical concept.
The power-grubbing is the whole point of religion. If there wasn't great power and wealth to be gained from the god-con-game it would have died out long ago. Spirituality is a nonsense term for the dopey mood playing at religion puts you in.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  11:28:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Computer Org

quote:
Originally posted by Slater
<snip>
The "good news" of the Xian gospels is that we are saved. . . .
<snip>

I have to disagree with you on this one, Slater. You seem to have only read the (4) gospels to find the bad news. There is a lot of good news in the 4 gospels; not the least of which is the extermination of all of the (seemingly interminable) Old-testament laws----to include most-all of the "Ten Commandents".

Remember: The Jews were in slavery under the Egytians. (I admit that there are those who deny the historical existence of "The Jews" and say that there is no evidence whatsoever that there ever was such a People in slavery under the Egyptians. I pretty much disagree with their views and see Exodus as being accurate. ) When in slavery, you are told every tiny thing that you can do and can't do: worse than in any prison in the U.S.!

Moses dragged the Jews (kicking and screaming: Slavery grows on you! ) out of slavery and into the desert. They wandered and wandered and wandered. BUT they lost all of the innumerable rules/laws that they had to follow under slavery. In the desert there is only one rule: "Don't get lost from your group." (The Jews, if you recall, were given all they wanted to eat: Manna.)

Then Moses at the end of their journey, when the Jews had forgotten that every tiny aspect of their lives was ordered by the slavers, went to get the "New Rules" for the Jewish society: That which we call the "Ten Commandents".

The Jews, as you might recall, however, FAILED. As a result, they lost the simplicity of the "Ten Commandments" and instead were given a vast body of harsh laws.

The "good news" that Jesus brought was to 'close' the book on the extensive, harsh laws of the Old Testament and replace it all with just two rules. Now that is what qualifies as "good news" to my mind.

Oh, oh. It looks as if it's back to the DJRE series for me (--I'm still plodding through Book II).

I had thought that the Emperor C. had the Gospels fictionalized to have himself identified as the "Son of God" in the mode of the Ahora Mazda (--or someone).

My apologies. Let me re-read DJRE and try this one again.

Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life. --Falstaff
Go to Top of Page

Slater
SFN Regular

USA
1668 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  12:09:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Slater a Private Message
Oh sure, all gospels are fiction. The Emperor Augustus didn't really become a God, there is no such thing as a God. But what every Pagan and every Christian "Good News" has that makes it "Good News" is that a man has become a God. There was a Gospel of Caligula. He didn't forgive sins or change laws. He became a God and published a Gospel to say so. That's what makes a Gospel a Gospel...the name Gospel is pre-Christian.
Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  12:26:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
I had thought that I had your take on religous history clear back in DJRE ii. Plainly I have gotten utterly confused---mostly, I suspect, by subconscious accumulation of some of Mr. Darwin Alagos' postings.

When you wrote above "...there is no such thing as a God.", it reminded me of something I found in one of your many refenences in, I think, DJRE ii and of a response I owe to a question addressed to me by Lars_H about one of the earlier gods you referenced. I shall try to go there (--as I have been for several months now--) and (ACH!!) resurect DJRE in one avatar or another.

Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life. --Falstaff
Go to Top of Page

Jelly Fish

46 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2003 :  12:44:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Jelly Fish an AOL message Send Jelly Fish a Private Message
Gentlemen (and ladies?)

This is easy. I really really really did think God was Bush snr, and therefore Bush Junior, as the Son of God , was Jesus.

So some of you Yankies must know what car Mr George drives?

Jelly Fish
Jut floatin'

Glendower..“I can call spirits from the vasty deep.”
Hotspur..“Why, so can I, or so can any man; But will they come when you do call for them?”
Jelly.."Not a hope in hell"
adapted from Henry 1V part 1 by Mr W. Shakespeare
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.