Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

LordofEntropy
Skeptic Friend

USA
85 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  11:49:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit LordofEntropy's Homepage Send LordofEntropy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by creation88

I'm not trying to be a jurk, but being gay is a choice. You are not born that way. I'm not gonna go on but its your choice. Not just chance.

I'm not trying to be a jerk, but being ignorant and intolerant is a choice. You are not born that way. I'm not gonna go on, but it's your choice. Not just chance.

Entropy just isn't what it used to be.
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  12:10:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
Sorry, but I have to...

Joey: Hey Ross, I got a question about science.
Ross: Yeah, about what?
Joey: If Homo Sapiens actually were Homo Sapiens... is that why they're extinct?
Ross: Joey... Homo Sapiens are people!
Joey: Hey, I'm not judging!

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

Jimmy_Reynolds

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2003 :  16:58:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Jimmy_Reynolds's Homepage  Send Jimmy_Reynolds a Yahoo! Message Send Jimmy_Reynolds a Private Message
The far-right website Free Republic has a very acrimonious thread about yesterday's Supreme Court ruling on the Texas sodomy law. The religious right fundies have the numerical advantage but libertarians seem to have most of the IQ points, so it's largely a draw so far. One of the libertarian stalwarts, Paul C. Jesup, has scored a bullseye with this observation:
quote:
I am getting tried of this. Don't you fools realize that with the Supreme Court ruling that a person has a Constitutional right to privacy in their home, that this ruling lays the foundation to gut both the IRS and anti-drug laws of a lot of the power they have over us all.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2003 :  08:49:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by creation88

I'm not trying to be a jurk, but being gay is a choice. You are not born that way. I'm not gonna go on but its your choice. Not just chance.

After seeing that you have completely failed to support your assumption and failed to respond to refutation of your post, I'll have to conclude that you are either a troll or an insignificant, small dicked, lobotomized fundie asshole.

Let's review the evidence against your claim.

1) Every person of the homosexual lifestyle I have spoken to have never not known what they are. So much for choice. Seems to be a definate natural aspect of it. Therefore, they are born that way. You just don't want to admit to a God that allows such conduct.

2) Contrary to other arguements I have seen concerning homosexual conduct being unique to humans, there are at least 90 different species with documented homosexual conduct including goats and giraffes.

3) The Biblical verses that denounces homosexual conduct is in the Old Testament. A part of the document which is held to be superceded by the "new covenant". Also, homosexuality is used by a wrathful God to punish heterosexuals. The idea of this form of punishment is extremely disturbing to heterosexuals, to the level of the idea of homosexuals being punished with heterosexuality.

4) You have completely failed to provide any proof for your statement. Then you expect for people on a site called Skeptic Friends network to just accept what you have said at face value. The multiple responses preceding mine in effect calling what you say bullshit is evidence of that.

The only real thing you can honestly say about homosexuality is that it engages in conduct which has no chance of producing offspring. That is at least accurate. It makes no moral judgement of the individuals, though. Which I suspect defeats your purpose.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Penyprity
Skeptic Friend

64 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  18:46:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Penyprity a Private Message
quote:
The only real thing you can honestly say about homosexuality is that it engages in conduct which has no chance of producing offspring. That is at least accurate. It makes no moral judgement of the individuals, though. Which I suspect defeats your purpose.

My brother is gay. He has a 9 year old son. He is not adopted, he is a true biological offspring. So, I guess that reproduction is a choice...unlike being gay. I wish some heterosexual couples would think about the choices they make while creating an offspring. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. But I don't want to be a jerk about this.

Make your vote count. Become a supreme court justice......Peny
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  06:49:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Penyprity

quote:

My brother is gay. He has a 9 year old son. He is not adopted, he is a true biological offspring. So, I guess that reproduction is a choice...unlike being gay. I wish some heterosexual couples would think about the choices they make while creating an offspring. Just because you can, doesn't mean you should. But I don't want to be a jerk about this.

The statement was "engages in conduct which has no chance of producing offspring". Are you suggesting that the child was produced by homosexual conduct? If so, call up every book of records and the scientific community.

Let's face it, your brother engaged in heterosexual conduct at one time and produced a child. It is biologically impossible to produce a child naturally through homosexual conduct. It is important to note the difference between homosexual, heterosexual, and bisexual. Homosexual means a partner of the same sex. Heterosexual means a partner of the opposite sex. And bisexual means using both homosexual and heterosexual conduct.

Reproduction is a biological process. While more thought should be put into planning children, oftentimes it is not. Some people have suggested that certian politicians of both parties parents maybe should not have reproduced. :)

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  13:19:10   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message

<<I'm not trying to be a jurk, but being gay is a choice.>>

Speaking of choices, C88, could you perhaps choose to read the scientific research on homosexuality before you post?

Or, could you choose to be tolerant and accepting rather than bigoted?
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  15:35:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer
It is important to note the difference between homosexual, heterosexual, and bisexual.

I kinda don't fit into any of those categories depending on whose eyes you are looking through. And no, I'm not being funny now.

Why can't people just be people? Each individuals preferance (choice or what ever the hell anyone wants to call it) is his own and no one elses business.
Go to Top of Page

Fireballn
Skeptic Friend

Canada
179 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  15:47:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fireballn a Private Message
I couldn't care less about the whole homosexual debate....hey whatever floats your boat, but what is with the parade? You come back from war, you have a parade. You win the superbowl, you have a parade. You have sex......well ya gotta have a parade! What is it? Is it to be seen? To show the 'straights' that gay people are as much a part of society as they are? For there own amusment.....I dunno but stop blocking the streets, I have places to go.

If i were the supreme being, I wouldn't have messed around with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers 8 o'clock day one!
-Time Bandits-
Go to Top of Page

Penyprity
Skeptic Friend

64 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  16:37:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Penyprity a Private Message
quote:
The statement was "engages in conduct which has no chance of producing offspring". Are you suggesting that the child was produced by homosexual conduct? If so, call up every book of records and the scientific community.

"engages in conduct" is a broad statement. Obviously, he did engage in conduct that produced offspring and I know for a fact he didn't have sex with a woman. He is not bi-sexual in the least. Being gay does not negate the possibility of offspring. Perhaps what you wanted to say was that engaging in same gender sex does not produce offspring. I believe that would be more correct.

So, I guess I am suggesting that a child was produced by homosexual conduct. But in this case that homosexual conduct was more scientific than sexual.

quote:
It is important to note the difference between homosexual, heterosexual, and bisexual. Homosexual means a partner of the same sex. Heterosexual means a partner of the opposite sex. And bisexual means using both homosexual and heterosexual conduct.

Thanks for the lesson, but I already knew all that.

Make your vote count. Become a supreme court justice......Peny
Edited by - Penyprity on 07/23/2003 16:46:31
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  18:19:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fireballn

but what is with the parade? You come back from war, you have a parade. You win the superbowl, you have a parade. You have sex......well ya gotta have a parade!

Hey, You! I could say the same thing about the superbowl. Now, don't get me wrong, I used to play football with my brother in the park with his friends when I was younger, it was fun. But pro sports is a load of crap. Designed to part morons from their money, as far as I'm concerned. Who in the hell cares who won what game. It's all dumb. Basketball is about the stupidest of all the games. Tall skinny guys running back and forth chasing a large ball tossing it in a net, time after time. How dumb is that? And how dumb are the people who buy tickets....pay the million dollar salaries of those 'athletes' who in most cases are too stupid to do anything else AND some of which are gay, BTW.
So THERE!
At lesast watching a parade where guys are imaginative to come up with some wonderful and colorful costumes is fun.

quote:
I dunno but stop blocking the streets, I have places to go.

I have better things to watch on TV then a ball game. So stop preempting Jeopardy.
Edited by - Snake on 07/23/2003 18:23:43
Go to Top of Page

Fireballn
Skeptic Friend

Canada
179 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  20:13:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Fireballn a Private Message
lol......snake what's with the hate on for sports? Did a group of jocks steal your chess board in high school?

If i were the supreme being, I wouldn't have messed around with butterflies and daffodils. I would have started with lasers 8 o'clock day one!
-Time Bandits-
Go to Top of Page

Darwin Storm
Skeptic Friend

87 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  20:38:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Darwin Storm a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Penyprity
Obviously, he did engage in conduct that produced offspring and I know for a fact he didn't have sex with a woman.

Well, his swimmers didn't get there by magic. Obviously some sort of sexual contact was made. It takes a woman, an egg, and some sperm to do the job. Maybe its just me, but anything involving sperm and the egg usually has something to do with sex.
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  21:16:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Fireballn

lol......snake what's with the hate on for sports? Did a group of jocks steal your chess board in high school?

How do you read into my post that I hate sports. I was trying to point out that a parade for the super bowl was as dumb as you think is a gay parade.
And another thing, since you brought it up again.....how many times have you heard that a city was burned and run lawless during a gay parade? I seem to remember cars being overturned because sports fans don't respect other peoples property.
So if anyone thinks being gay is wrong, I say gays are more right than some others in society.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  21:18:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
"In vitro fertilization" (for just one example, could have been "turkey baster" for all I know) is much more "technical" or "mechanical" than it is "sexual," given the common meanings of the word "sexual." Certainly, no contact whatsoever between penis and vagina is necessary, only contact between sperm and egg. And given the context of the post, reading the term "sexual" in its strictly biological sense is both unnecessary and unreasonable, especially if you're going to call sperm "swimmers," since, strictly speaking, sperm don't swim.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.28 seconds.