Doctors carry out first tongue transplant
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  16:40:56  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
From http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/07/22/1058853077286.html

A question for any medicos out there. Would you inherit the donors taste or would you still have your own???

Be a real bummer if you loved crayfish, but the donor despised seafood. Any ideas on this?

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Al Franken

Edited by - gezzam on 07/22/2003 16:42:48

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  17:06:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
My guess is you would inherit the donors taste only if your brain was in your tounge.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 07/22/2003 :  19:37:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Since "super tasters" (people with strong reactions to tastes) can often be detected by the layout of taste buds on their tongues, it has to be at least a bit of both. After all, no matter how much you like sweet stuff, if you get a tongue with no sweet-sensing taste buds, you'll be disappointed by your food afterwards.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  03:09:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Posted by Gezzam
quote:
Be a real bummer if you loved crayfish, but the donor despised seafood. Any ideas on this?
Qui sa dit? Mais, child...Who you know eat dem crayfish? What dat be? Down here in Loosianna we got no such ting as dem crayfish. Dat sound like dat yankee talk--No? I do tell you strait, doe, we got us plenty o' dem crawfish, and dey be the best eatin' mud bugs in whole entire world!
Crayfish...Mais, sa c'est bete!

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2003 :  03:53:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Were I to get a transplanted tongue, it might be in for a big, fat suprise. I likes lots o' chilis in my chili.

An egg without Tabasco is just another dead chicken.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.