SFN Genesis
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/01/2003 :  23:10:56  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Is there an article hiding around here someplace which recounts the creation and evolutionary history of the Skeptic Friends Network?

If not, there ought to be.

I'm interested in the who, what, where, when, why and how behind the initial people involed, whose efforts have led to this site which I've come to enjoy so much.

After all, part of being a skeptic is being inquisitive, and I wouldn't be that if I let such a mystery go unquestioned.

Also, I think there should also be a smaller "mission statement" kind of thing, mostly just the 'why' behind this site, for those to whom it isn't fairly obvious (given the name).

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

walt fristoe
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  15:59:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send walt fristoe a Private Message
I'll second the motion!

"If God chose George Bus of all the people in the world, how good could God be?"
Bill Maher
Go to Top of Page

Boron10
Religion Moderator

USA
1266 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2003 :  18:34:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Boron10 a Private Message
Kil. I say, "do it!"
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  20:20:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
I'll do it next weekend...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2003 :  22:32:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
quote:
Is there an article hiding around here someplace which recounts the creation and evolutionary history of the Skeptic Friends Network?

What's the point? C88, Hippy4Christ and On Fire for Christ will just argue that God did it.

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Al Franken
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2003 :  18:16:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Aren't there already some topics in here about that.

By the way, I do have all the pages for the old Truth site.

Also...go to www.archive.org and add SFN's url and you can see our design changes over the years. It's an amazingly cool website and interesting to look at various websites and their developments.

@tomic

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

walt fristoe
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2003 :  11:19:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send walt fristoe a Private Message
Wow! That's just like having a time machine(well, almost)!

"If God chose George Bus of all the people in the world, how good could God be?"
Bill Maher
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  12:07:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
I can't believe any of you are still paying for an AOL account.

I did find the history fascinating as far as "before there was a WWW". I'm anxious to see the actual dates. The member list shows Kil and @tomic joining on 04/12/01. How is it possible I've been here longer than Dave W. and Dr Mab? That's mind boggling.

Gee Kil, if you found a girlfriend via the net, there may yet be hope for me finding a boyfriend. Did you two live in close proximity?

Go to Top of Page

Wendy
SFN Regular

USA
614 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  12:23:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Wendy a Yahoo! Message Send Wendy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

Gee Kil, if you found a girlfriend via the net, there may yet be hope for me finding a boyfriend. Did you two live in close proximity?

Be careful what you wish for, beskeptigal! You may find a husband instead. I've been married 2-1/2 years to a man I met on the internet. He also had an AOL account, but I set about changing him immediately.

[/hijack]

Millions long for immortality who don't know what to do on a rainy afternoon.
-- Susan Ertz
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  14:40:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
quote:
beskeptigal:
I can't believe any of you are still paying for an AOL account.

I keep my account for my mother and Zachary who lives half time with his mother. Their screen names are both on my account even though they access AOL from different locations.
quote:
beskeptigal:
I did find the history fascinating as far as "before there was a WWW". I'm anxious to see the actual dates. The member list shows Kil and @tomic joining on 04/12/01. How is it possible I've been here longer than Dave W. and Dr Mab? That's mind boggling.

The 04/12/01 date is the server we are on now. Obviously @ and I have been members for much longer than that. As for how long you have been a member, that does seem odd. But maybe it's so.
quote:
beskeptigal:

When I first started chatting with Michelle in our old chat room she was living in the bay area. When she moved down here we decided to meet. Thing is, I wasn't looking for a girlfriend and I don't think she was looking for a boyfriend. I was married at the time I met Michelle. We started out as friends. My marriage was crumbling at the time and Michelle was very supportive of my situation. Anyhow, we did become what we are now. The thing is, in our old “atheists” room it was not considered cool to ask the sex or the age of any of our members. That room was not a dating service…

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2006 :  18:44:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by beskeptigal

How is it possible I've been here longer than Dave W. and Dr Mab? That's mind boggling.
Well, you registered before I did, but I know I was lurking here before you registered.

Actually, doing some poking around in the archives, I find your earliest posts to be on August 7, 2004. So according to our records, you registered nearly two years before you posted.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.