New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rift
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2001 :  19:33:09  Show Profile Send Rift a Private Message
Did anybody else catch the segment on remote viewing on Shermer's "Exploring the Unknown" last night?

Shermer had two 'viewers' with their parapsychologist 'interpreter' try to view a photo he had put in a sealed envelope.

They threw out about 30 or 40 guesses of what it might be after an hour of 'viewing'. Even with those odds they didn't even come close. But after Shermer revealed what it was, the parapsychologist went back through their notes and forced a match and called the experiment a success. Watching Shermer's credulous reaction was hilarious. He also tried to say that Shermer's skepticism had 'dampened' their abilities and the fact he picked such a strange photo (a hubble telescope photo of deep field galaxies). What's the point if you have to pick a 'normal' photo? lol

And even Shermer seem to make a big deal that one gal's "I see a cylinder moving within another cylinder" was sort of a description of the Hubble. First of all, it wasn't a picture of the hubble, and second of all, that doesn't sound much like the Hubble to me... And thirdly, she tossed out 20 or so guess of what it 'might' be...

BTW I was looking for some information on archaeology a couple days ago, and was horrified when I saw that Yahoo had a category "Remote Viewing" under Archaeology. My curiosity getting the better of me, I clicked on the couple of sites they listed and was absolutely delighted when I found out the sites were about REAL remote viewing... using Radar and Sonar to help archaeologists, lol.

Lisa
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2001 :  13:56:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Lisa a Private Message
He mentioned this in his latest book. He chose the galaxy for a reason. These remote viewers make a claim that they can see into deep space.
Lisa

Chaos...Confusion...Destruction...My Work Here Is Done
Go to Top of Page

Mespo_man
Skeptic Friend

USA
312 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2001 :  15:02:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Mespo_man a Private Message
Aw, shucks...

I thought "remote viewing" was the ability to find the TV remote in a dark room. .

(:raig
Go to Top of Page

Dog_Ed
Skeptic Friend

USA
126 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2001 :  15:28:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dog_Ed's Homepage Send Dog_Ed a Private Message
"Remote viewing" as practiced by Ed Dames, Courtney Brown, and similar loonies has got to take some sort of prize for deceiving the credulous. After all, if Dames could see the future (as he claims) then he could save thousands of lives by (accurately) predicting earthquakes and epidemics in time for emergency aid to be put into action; he could make millions of dollars by locating strategic minerals; he could view secret locations where nuclear and biological weapons are being manufactured and alert the UN. But no, he makes a living flogging videotapes, just like all the rest of the superhuman "remote viewers." I know I'm preaching to the choir here, but why oh why do so many people believe in a lie that is so transparent? What flaw in the human mind allows such blatantly unrealistic claims to gain credibility? Anyone?

"Even Einstein put his foot in it sometimes"
Go to Top of Page

Rift
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2001 :  20:42:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Rift a Private Message
quote:

He mentioned this in his latest book. He chose the galaxy for a reason. These remote viewers make a claim that they can see into deep space.

Yeah, he mentioned that in the show. The guy claims on his web site they can see into distant galaxy. (Then how come they don't tell SETI where to point their telescopes?) I thought it was funny that the lead loony thought it was somehow an unfair picture to pick, lol. One guy drew a picture of something circular moving, and the lead loony tried to say that was a galaxy, but it was a picture of MANY galaxies, not all of them sprial and rotating. Nope sorry, no cigar.

BTW I meant to say that watching Shermer's INcredulous reaction was hilarious... not credulous, sheesh... You could see him just shaking his head at these quacks.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.