Social Issues
 Wow...sucks to be gay in the U.S.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cold in here

Canada
48 Posts

Posted - 12/22/2003 :  00:25:43  Show Profile Send Cold in here a Private Message
All I can say at the current moment is that I seriously thank God I'm not a gay american. Seems to me the buckle of the bible-belt is tighter than it ever has been. Or, perhaps the tightness has never been noted as such so clearly before; either way, I'm bloody glad i'm not a queer in the US.

Happy Christmas All!!
Hopefully one day God and Queers will get along

Toronto is the capital of Canada, and I live in a giant igloo. Blubber anyone?

ljbrs
SFN Regular

USA
842 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2003 :  15:29:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ljbrs a Private Message
I am not gay. I have been heterosexual female for as long as I can remember. I believe that sexual preference is something which is natural to the person. I think we are born with such a preference or develop it at a very early age. I never had any doubts about my preference for males.

I think that gays and lesbians probably were born that way, too. In any event, I feel that they suffer enough at the hands of anti-gay/lesbian idiots to need laws to protect them from such male and female bullies.

Then again, males and females were considered to be equal in my nuclear family, and we were expected to excell at whatever we attempted.

I was very careful about selection of a husband. I had a great marriage and have been a widow for years. Christmas (as a non-religious holiday) was my late husband's favorite time of the year, so today (Christmas Day) has its fond memories for me of a perfectly wonderful (and extremely intelligent and knowledgeable) guy.

ljbrs

"Innumerable suns exist; innumerable earths revolve about these suns in a manner similar to the way the seven planets revolve around our sun. Living beings inhabit these worlds."
Giordano Bruno
(Burned at the stake by the Roman Catholic Church Inquisition in 1600)
Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 12/25/2003 :  21:50:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Cold in here

All I can say at the current moment is that I seriously thank God I'm not a gay american. Seems to me the buckle of the bible-belt is tighter than it ever has been. Or, perhaps the tightness has never been noted as such so clearly before; either way, I'm bloody glad i'm not a queer in the US.

Happy Christmas All!!
Hopefully one day God and Queers will get along

There are other groups, anyone who's not 'average' or 'normal' it seems, that have negitive attitudes against them.
I don't know the stitistics but I might guess that atheists could even be worse off should they choose to be outspoken (in certain places) in their opinions.

www.Carabao.net
As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 12/26/2003 :  01:54:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Posted by Cold in here
quote:
All I can say at the current moment is that I seriously thank God I'm not a gay american.
I understand the sentiment, but I don't know that I'd be thanking gods for that little twist of fate.

Anyway, it may look bleak from the outside, or the inside, but I really believe that queer folk have made many more advances in the last few years than they have suffered setbacks. The blathering voices of the intolerant are loud and insistent, while the courts have been quietly leaning toward common sense decisions. The more the dogmatists lose, the more they scream for the blood of the heretics.

I can add through personal observations and experiences that socially 'outed' people from all of the so-called alternative lifestyles, (I despise that expression, but don't know an adequate alternative), are more common today than they were just a few years ago. So, where some polls may infer a recent rise in anti-gay attitudes, we have become socially accustomed to the presence of those that are not perfectly straight, nor perfectly monogamous.

But, then again, maybe I'm just trying too hard to be optimistic.

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.