Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Pseudoscience
 want to join an e-group on 'survival science'?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Marc_a_b
Skeptic Friend

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2001 :  12:51:18  Show Profile  Send Marc_a_b an AOL message Send Marc_a_b a Private Message
People in connection with that lawyer Zammit, (the guy who claims there is overwhelming evidence of an afterlife by citing just about every paranormal claim around) have started an e-group called SurvivalScience.

A couple of us skeptics have managed to sneak into the group. Pretty active but it's a bit daunting when you got about two skeptics among a number of people who will bring up even Geller and Scole references as proof.

Anyone care to put on a uniform and take a peek at the front lines?

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/survivalscience/messages

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2001 :  12:55:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:

I signed up to join, and removed all references to skepticism, atheism, and secular humanism from my profile at Yahoo! Groups. I'm waiting to be approved.

------------

Ma gavte la nata!
Go to Top of Page

Marc_a_b
Skeptic Friend

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2001 :  13:39:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Marc_a_b an AOL message Send Marc_a_b a Private Message
Welcome aboard!

My old buddy Pierre is the point man on there, with me taking an occasional shot.

Not sure if there are any other skeptics. See you inside.

Go to Top of Page

Tokyodreamer
SFN Regular

USA
1447 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2001 :  14:32:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tokyodreamer a Private Message
quote:

Welcome aboard!

My old buddy Pierre is the point man on there, with me taking an occasional shot.

Not sure if there are any other skeptics. See you inside.

Whew! The first message I got was a response from the Moderator to Pierre, complaining that his argument was nonsensical, and how he was going to delete future posts like his! Gonna be fun!

------------

Ma gavte la nata!
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2001 :  18:33:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

quote:

I signed up to join, and removed all references to skepticism, atheism, and secular humanism from my profile at Yahoo! Groups. I'm waiting to be approved.

LOL
Hey, I wouldn't mind taking a peek. But you know,... there is an after life. My idea of that is that when something dies, the particals of that body go into the ground, and return in the form of a leaf when the nutrients are taken up by the tree, or somesuch thing like that.
If you want to join my e-group here's the address:
FreeSpeechforFreethinkers@yahoogroups.com
And you can say anything you want on there.

VHEMT
Go to Top of Page

Snake
SFN Addict

USA
2511 Posts

Posted - 07/30/2001 :  20:46:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Snake's Homepage  Send Snake an ICQ Message  Send Snake a Yahoo! Message Send Snake a Private Message
quote:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/survivalscience/messages

I have to Thank You. Thank you.
I went over to another Screen Name on AOL to join that group. (I didn't want to change my profile on Yahoo) I'm, actually Woody, my dog is now registered on Yahoo too. Let's hope he gets accepted to that group.
But the happy news is, because I was on another Screen Name I didn't have this SFN address bookmarked and did a search to get it. Another group came up on the list. One that I used to belong to years and years ago but lost track of. Turns out they relocated their clubhouse just a couple of miles from me and I never knew. I'd been thinking about them and wanted to find out where they were but never got around to it. And then when I least expected, there they were. And I owe it all to your skepticism at SurvivalScience.
Thank you, thank you.

VHEMT
Go to Top of Page

Pyrrho

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2001 :  11:34:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Pyrrho a Private Message
I'm not in the Survival Science group itself, but I was put on an email list that gets comments from the Survival group from time to time. Lots of wrangling in the email lately about the value of anecdotes as evidence. One man's garbage is another man's treasure, I guess.

What intrigues me is the constant shift of meanings and outright attempts to rewrite commonly known definitions so that certain terms can be used to prove a point. Anecdotes are now called "case histories" or "testimony", as if that will make them credible. Skeptics are materialist cynics, believers are 'true skeptics', paranormal is normal, yes means no and no means yes and opinion equals proof and reality is imaginary anyway, so anything is valid evidence.

I suggest Dramamine to control the dizziness you will suffer from time to time. Good luck, and watch out for falling paradigms.

Go to Top of Page

Marc_a_b
Skeptic Friend

USA
142 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2001 :  13:24:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Marc_a_b an AOL message Send Marc_a_b a Private Message
Man goes on to prove black is white, white is black, and is killed at the next zebra crossing.

Those messages you get are pretty much it. There are a few links, documents, and book recomendations too, but the main thing is the mailing list.

Calling themselves "true skeptics" seems to be a trend among some paranormalists. Or similar redefinitions. One member of another board has redefined skeptic to one who witholds judgement until they are better informed. However if they don't believe then they are not skeptics, they are merely cynics. There are also the accusations of 'skeptics' using the same tired old erronous arguments, while at the same time they are makeing the same tired old erronous arguments like saying skeptics claim to "know everything".

Acceptance of all positive anecdotal evidence. Complete denial of an logic or evidence that goes against the belief, and now the threats to delete those 'causing trouble', saying we are not actualy discussing anything.

Yup, par for the course. I've been on a few message boards, read books by Sylvia Brown, Brian Weiss, and Gary Schwartz and survived, gave me a good tolerance to getting dizzy.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.