Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  21:04:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
I have one woo woo story.
I was about 15 and on a canoe trip into Quetico park Canada, which is north of Ely Min. I was fishing with a friend on a lake called Conmee (probably spelled wrong). We were drifting along the shore and I happened to look up at a beaver lodge and standing on the lodge was a 'little man'. This 'little man' was about 2 feet tall. The moment I saw this I heard my friend (Bob) gasp; he to was looking at the beaver lodge. I recall feeling sheer terror and the hair on my neck sticking up. Bob shouted something to the effect of "let's get out of here!". As Bob was trying to paddle away I was backstroking because I couldn't leave without some kind of an answer. Anyway we drifted sideways a bit and I realized I just looking at a log sticking up out of the beaver lodge at an odd angle. I told Bob it was just a log. He looked back and begain to laugh, as did I. With the typical bravado of 15 year olds we paddled over to the lodge, climbed up on it and kicked the log into submission. We stood there a few minutes and until we started to get creeped out and we left.
I remember looking into the eye of the 'little man' and feeling like he was looking right through me, he was just as clear as day. But there is no way I could discribed what he looked like today. I do not know if my memory has amplified this incident over time. I do know that the day before we had portaged over the infamous Pooh-Ba portage, 3 miles of downed trees and swamps. It took us about 6 hours to go those 3 miles and I was more physically exhausted than I had ever been before. I assume that this had something to do with my hallucination.
I assumed that the play of light on the log is what made it look like a little man. The funny thing about this incident is about 20 years later I met up with Bob at a reunion of sorts and I said, "remember Conmee lake?". Bob nodded and shrugged his shoulders. I said "that little man was weird". His eyes got real wide and he said, "Thats not what I saw"! We looked at each other trying to get a handle on the moment and the just kind of drifted into conversation with other people.

Strange story and of course it doesn't really mean anything, but it is a great story to tell around the camp fire.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  21:35:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur
The funny thing about this incident is about 20 years later I met up with Bob at a reunion of sorts and I said, "remember Conmee lake?". Bob nodded and shrugged his shoulders. I said "that little man was weird". His eyes got real wide and he said, "Thats not what I saw"!
Well, originally I was going to comment about how strange it was that you both saw the tiny figure simultaneously. But it makes more sense that you didn't, you just both assumed the other saw they same thing as you did. Of course it raises the question of what Bob did see. Hey, call Bob, I want to know!

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 11/23/2004 21:36:54
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  23:39:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
I do wonder what Bob saw, but I think not knowing makes it a better story. If I do see him again I will not be able to resist the temptation to ask.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.