New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  04:25:20  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Considering the scource, this could probably fit pretty well in humor.

quote:
THE SUN has brought the incredible X-ray eyes girl to Britain and seen her amazing powers at first hand.

Russian Natasha Demkina, 17, has stunned doctors in her home country with her ability to see medical conditions inside people.

We flew her 1,500 miles to London to demonstrate her extraordinary powers on Sun reporter Briony Warden, who suffered multiple injuries when she was knocked down by a car in October last year.

She is still recovering from the hit-and-run and uses crutches or a wheelchair to get around.

Before Natasha arrived at Briony's North London home, our reporter removed a leg brace and hid all clues to her injuries.

Then the petite blonde teenager, who looks years younger than her age, began her examination.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,5-2004040384,00.html

Cute kid though, and it seems she's already achieved some popularity amongst the easily impressed of her homeland. It is interesting to note that the test subject is another reporter on the Sun staff who, we are told, has suffered an unfortunate accident.

I am further reminded that Pravda, a major news organ in the young lady's homeland is filled with this sort of thing.

The site loads a little slow.

The quoted text was doubled-up, so I snipped the second copy - Dave W.

Edited by - Dave W. on 01/29/2004 12:25:40

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  09:20:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
filthy wrote:
quote:
Considering the scource, this could probably fit pretty well in humor.
Considering the subject matter, it could fit pretty well in Health, too.

Anyone who says, "Only my orthopaedic consultant could have known more" is probably wrong. After all, the Sun reporter probably discussed her injuries with her coworkers. Plus, shouldn't one expect wounds to heal? Doesn't that make "She even said the scars where the screws had been were covered over with new tissue" the no-brainer guess?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2004 :  11:09:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Bob Carroll's take on this story.
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  11:17:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Maybe it just feels this way, but Russia seems to be emerging as psychic central...

I took a look around the Internet, and could not find a list of the various claims coming out of Russia. Each claim was treated separately. Of course, there was the "Nova" show on Randi being a pain in the ass to Russian psychics.
quote:
Randi took "Nova" to Russia because during the Cold War, the
Soviet Union was rumored to be rife with psychics and other wild
talents. With the demise of communism, Russian belief in the
supernatural has flourished.
http://www.skepticfiles.org/skeptic2/randnov.htm

It might be interesting if someone would compile a list of recent psychic claims broken down by country. Perhaps this kind of study would shed some light on what kind of history, culture and environment gives rise to magical thinking in our modern world. It may be that there is little correlation between culture and psychic claims. But I doubt that. I can think of many reasons for the rise of New Age thinking here and claims of psychic abilities in Russia. The reasons differ and are speculative on my part. A study might help to dash or nail these musings down...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  11:28:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

It might be interesting if someone would compile a list of recent psychic claims broken down by country.

Very, very interesting, IMO.

Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life. --Falstaff
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.