Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Health
 Glycemic index, Atkins, and weight loss?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2004 :  07:27:34  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
Interesting article from my friends at the Center for Science in the Public Interest, a nutrition advocacy group, on the new low-carb diet craze and its variants:

http://www.cspinet.org/nah/01_04/cover.pdf

I remain baffled by the low-carb craze, which now seems to be EVERYWHERE. I see low-carb chocolate, low-carb beer, and even low-carb pasta at the grocery store, and I scratch my head.

According to this website, they're just beginning to understand foods' glycemic indexes and their affects on fat storage, weight gain, and appetitie.

I'm a lifelong low-fat, high-carb eater and I've never had anything resembling a weight problem. Gimme my warm chocolate chip cookies and sourdough garlic bread...or give me death!

Computer Org
Skeptic Friend

392 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  07:42:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Computer Org a Private Message
Have to admit that I've been trying a version for the past month or so. Lots of cheese (high protein, high fat) and 4% milk; no vegies or fruit; very few carbs. Whether or not there is a connection, for the first time ever (I'm 61+) the blood-pressure machine in the grocery put me in the red (hypertension level 1) in both catagories.

I think that it's back to chicken and lean beef for me; and maybe I'll shelve the cheese.

Do thou amend thy face, and I'll amend my life. --Falstaff
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2004 :  09:38:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
No fruits or veggies? Please explain how this diet could remotely be construed as healthful?

You are aware, aren't you, of the studies that link a diet high in fruits and vegetables to lower cancer rates? And of studies that show high-protein, high-fat diets are linked to calcium, heart disease, and kidney strain?

Do you know what keytones are?
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2004 :  08:12:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Nope, very small amounts of fruits and veggies. http://www.healthatoz.com/healthatoz/Atoz/ency/atkins_diet.html One of the reasons for the popularity of Atkins is a study out showing that your rate of weightloss is nearly twice that of the ADA diets in the first year, remaining higher until about the second year when the weight loss evens out between Atkins and the ADA diets.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.