60 Minutes - Christian Evangelicals & Politics
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dimossi
Skeptic Friend

USA
141 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  17:44:01  Show Profile  Visit dimossi's Homepage  Send dimossi an AOL message Send dimossi a Private Message
CBS show "60 Minutes" examines the impact Christian evangelicals are having on politics. Sunday, Feb. 8, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/02/05/60minutes/main598218.shtml

quote:

(CBS) Evangelicals - Christians who place a personal relationship with Jesus Christ above all else - have become a major factor in American politics and culture, says a prominent Christian theologian.

They now number an estimated 70 million, have several prominent American leaders, including President Bush, among their ranks and their beliefs are echoed in an emerging conservative movement.

Correspondent Morley Safer reports on evangelicals on 60 Minutes, Sunday, Feb. 8, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away." [Philip K. Dick, science-fiction author]

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  19:48:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
Great.

How's life in Guam these days?

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

Paladin
Skeptic Friend

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2004 :  20:47:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Paladin a Private Message
"...an emerging conservative movement...?" I believe they were done "emerging" when they took over the White House.

The religious right is no longer just an "emerging" movement. They're a full-blown threat to democracy.

Paladin
Go to Top of Page

Terryt88
Skeptic Friend

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2004 :  15:22:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Terryt88 a Yahoo! Message Send Terryt88 a Private Message
quote:
Paladin
They're a full-blown threat to democracy

And apparantly flight safety.

http://us.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/02/08/airline.christianity/

So instead of religeous zealots taking over planes after taking off, they are apparantly taxi-ing to the runway as well...

[Edited to fix link. -TT88]
Edited by - Terryt88 on 02/10/2004 15:24:31
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  02:31:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Terryt88

quote:
Paladin
They're a full-blown threat to democracy

And apparantly flight safety.

http://us.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/02/08/airline.christianity/

So instead of religeous zealots taking over planes after taking off, they are apparantly taxi-ing to the runway as well...

[Edited to fix link. -TT88]

Made me laugh, it did, and brought back a memory.

Some 20 years or so back, I was in the VA chop shop for major frame work and one of the doctors was double-dipped in deep water. I could expect a little witnessing every time he appeared. He was appaled at the idea that I was an atheist (he asked, I told him), so his evangelical reflex kicked in as soon as came in the room. I heard (unconfirmed) that he'd been scolded for passing out tracts in the past. A hell of a nice guy though and fun to talk to, as well as being an excellent orthopedic surgeon. On the other hand, the VA has always been so understaffed that he didn't have a lot of time for preaching, so he never really had time to wear out his welcome.

This pilot, on the other hand, seems to be one of those obnoxious clowns who can't leave the heathen alone. Hopefully, he'll mellow out before he gets fired for foolishness. Good (assuming he's at least compentant) pilots are as hard to find as good bone sawyers and poor ones kill a lot more people.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  12:28:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
They're cropping up everywhere. Worked a job for about 2 weeks, selling Fords. (thought you might get a laugh out of that filthy) The sales manager asked, in our daily meeting, how many of us went to church, no one raised their hand. (Surprised me, but not much.) Then admonished us all that we need to start going to church. About walked out then and there - unfortunately, I was in the position of needing the job.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."
No Sense of Obligation by Matt Young

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"
Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, Jr.

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
LtGen Thomas Holcomb, USMC
Commandant of the Marine Corps, 1943
Go to Top of Page

Paladin
Skeptic Friend

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  18:19:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Paladin a Private Message
As strange as this may sound coming from an atheist, I really don't have that much of a problem with people trying to share their religion with others. If they're pushy about it, then I get riled. But if they're simply trying to introduce someone to what they consider an extremely good thing, then I can actually respect that, even though I personally disagree.

What I have a problem with isn't believers or even religious fundamentalists. My problem is when belief manifests itself as a political movement - the 'religious right' - in the form of legislating morality or manipulation of public school curriculums, for example. When religious expression moves from simple persuasion to outright coercion, that's when we all have to draw a line and take a stand.

Paladin
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  11:37:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
quote:
What I have a problem with isn't believers or even religious fundamentalists. My problem is when belief manifests itself as a political movement - the 'religious right' - in the form of legislating morality or manipulation of public school curriculums, for example. When religious expression moves from simple persuasion to outright coercion, that's when we all have to draw a line and take a stand.

Agreed. But religious preaching should not come from a supervisor during a general meeting. People can believe what they choose, I don't care, just don't force it on me or anyone else. Live and let live. This was done in such fashion as to guilt you into going to church. It's not necessary and definitely does not belong in the work place. This leads to crap like a friend heard at work, a cop told a woman who wanted to report her paroled husband for beating her and putting her in the hospital that she should consumate her wifely duties and obey her husband.

Screaming and ranting on my part won't change this individual, but he damn sure has no right to step outside the law and tell anyone this crap. It's his job to go arrest and return to prison the idiot that beat his wife. Not blame the victim.

Perhaps this is an extremem case (really), but the line isn't that thick either. Religion does not belong in the workplace, especially from a person in a management position to an employee, or from a person in a position of authority. That's when it becomes threatening.

...no one has ever found a 4.5 billion year old stone artifact (at the right geological stratum) with the words "Made by God."

"Say what you will about the sweet miracle of unquestioning faith. I consider the capacity for it terrifying and vile!"

They (Women Marines) don't have a nickname, and they don't need one. They get their basic training in a Marine atmosphere, at a Marine Post. They inherit the traditions of the Marines. They are Marines.
Go to Top of Page

Paladin
Skeptic Friend

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2004 :  16:24:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Paladin a Private Message
I agree that your policeman example is disturbing. But then, he wasn't merely 'sharing' his belief with others. He was actually trying to coerce someone to follow its dictates, and I hope he was prosecuted for his abuse of authority.

Unfortunately, such scenarios probably happen much more frequently than most people think, although much more subtly.

Paladin
Go to Top of Page

Trish
SFN Addict

USA
2102 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  11:05:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Trish a Private Message
Don't what if anything came of the police issue. Hopefully, we'll find out something soon.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.