Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2004 :  03:47:59  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
SOME 3.7 million people claim to have been abducted by aliens. Only 11 per cent of Americans believe in evolution. Type "Flat Earth Society" into the Google search engine on the internet and you will have a choice of 466,000 sites. How did we get this stupid?

http://news.scotsman.com/opinion.cfm?id=160812004

On the other hand, everybody is free to believe any damphool thing they find that suits them. And on the gripping hand, where would we skeptics be without them?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Terryt88
Skeptic Friend

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  07:51:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Terryt88 a Yahoo! Message Send Terryt88 a Private Message
quote:
from article
If that's what you want, fine. Just remember, while you are sitting under your pyramid reordering your charkas and rebalancing your energy flow, not to get cancer. And be careful not to venture too close to the edge of the world. You wouldn't want to fall off now, would you?

Annnd how.

PS- Is the percentage of Americans believing evolution really at 11%?! (I didn't see any references.) I really hope it's not that bad.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2004 :  08:57:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Terryt88

quote:
from article
If that's what you want, fine. Just remember, while you are sitting under your pyramid reordering your charkas and rebalancing your energy flow, not to get cancer. And be careful not to venture too close to the edge of the world. You wouldn't want to fall off now, would you?

Annnd how.

PS- Is the percentage of Americans believing evolution really at 11%?! (I didn't see any references.) I really hope it's not that bad.

I don't think it is, but it's bad enough. I seem to recall reading a poll that showed only some 40% accepted evolution. Don't have a reference, sorry.

This is a sad commentary on the state of general education in the US. I think it bodes ill for the country.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.1 seconds.