Computer Stupidities
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2004 :  21:18:59  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I know some of these are urban legends, and others are probably outright lies, but if you've got some time to waste, and like computer humor, check out Rinkworks' Computer Stupidities pages.

A sample:
quote:
Customer: "I had been waiting on the phone for you guys for three days! So I finally decided to heck with it and did what the instructions said."
Another:
quote:
Fact: Boston Computer Museum sells chocolate bars shaped like floppy disks.

Fact: Three year old kids see daddy boot his computer using a floppy to play games.

Fact: Computers are warm inside...even some quite expensive computers.

I don't want to talk about it.
Last one:
quote:
  • Customer: "Hi. I have a Macintosh. I had a disk that I wanted to put in the computer, but it wouldn't go, so I pushed harder, and it wouldn't go, so I pushed REALLY hard, and now it's making funny noises. I think there was a disk in there already."
  • Tech Support: "Unplug the computer, now."
  • Customer: "I don't want to lose my paper!"
  • Tech Support: "Unplug the computer right now. Your paper is lost. Your floppy drive is lost. If you're lucky the Mac will be OK. Unplug it now."
  • Customer: "But I don't want to lose my paper!"
After a few more repetitions of this, I heard someone, presumably the client's roommate, scream. Then I heard the dorm fire alarm go off in the background. Those things are awful loud, but she didn't seem interested in unplugging the computer, fleeing the fire in her room, or anything else other than arguing with me. Figuring I was doing her a favor, I hung up.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  17:48:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Another classic urban legend is the woman who calls the support to complain that the mug-holder was broken.

(support)- Mug-holder?
(woman) - Yes, the mug-holder.
(support)- I'm not sure what you mean... was you computer delivered with a mug-holder? It sounds weird, because I never heard of any of our computers being sold with such appliances.
(woman) - well mine was...
(support)- It has to be some kind of makrketing stuff. Is there any kind of label on it? Maybe I can trace the manufacturer..
(woman) - It says 4x on the front...

(yes, it is a golden oldie)

Edit: Ooops, just found that story in the link that Dave provided. It really is an oldie though. I heard it in the beginning of -95.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 02/24/2004 17:52:52
Go to Top of Page

razor

6 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  21:17:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send razor a Private Message
Thanks Dave.

Did you look at this link from the same site. Also very humorous.

http://www.rinkworks.com/said/

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds.