New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  14:57:30  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
You'd better give this one a look-see....

http://www.wiredvideo.com/clips/av3/tonycar.wmv

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  15:43:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Oh dear. Oh deary me!

Where were these rocket scientisis going, I wonder? A MENSA convention?

Again, I fear for the future of my species.

Can anyone pick out what the really obvious and idiotic mistake was? Y'all Yankees ought to be able to glim it right away.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/24/2004 15:44:54
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  17:26:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
filthy wrote:
quote:
Can anyone pick out what the really obvious and idiotic mistake was? Y'all Yankees ought to be able to glim it right away.
Reversing into the snow bank in the first place?

I would have aimed for the street.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  17:37:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Again, I fear for the future of my species.
No shit Sherlock...
They can't be experiencing snow very often. Can anyone figure out where it was recorded? I'm not familiar with the license-plate.

quote:
Since I'm not a yank, so please give me a clue. The most obvious I see is they failed to keep the drive way clear of snow. The second fatal mistake was not trying to drive forward a little to line up the car. The third was attaching the towing line to the bumper, instead of the chassis.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  20:53:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
The main culprit in this carnival of idiots is the tow strap being attached to the whimpy bumper. If it had been hooked to the frame, then we wouldn't have had the chance to see this symphony of dumbasses - the car could had been pulled free from the drift without the rear end damage.

What added to the scene as it unfolds is the angle of the tow vehicle to the stuck car. Instead of pulling in the direction of the street, they should had pulled the stuck car more towards the opposite side of the street - being the shortest route away from the snow drift. As it happened, the truck only pulled the car further into the drift, compounding the problem with the weak tow strap attachment point.

I'd like to see the hit counter for that movie.

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Go to Top of Page

tw101356
Skeptic Friend

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2004 :  22:28:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tw101356 a Private Message
License plate appears to be Maryland. Not a state that experiences much snow in a normal year.

- TW

- TW
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2004 :  01:30:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
As the stuck car lacked a trailer hitch, they should have attached the strap to the spring shackle on the right side of the car. That way, the pull pressure would have moved the car out toward the road instead deeper into the snow (which demonstrated a certain lack of cognitive thought that they got into it in the first place ). Of course, that might have involved a little extra effort, which obviously put it out of the question.

And it's true; you don't hook to bumpers in this day and age. At one time you could, but no longer, alas.

Of course, the moral is that if your are dumb enough to get into such a situation, don't solicit help from people even dumber.

Thanks for the chuckle, Randy.

Edited to add: when all else was failing, Big Dummy(s) should have remembered that modern vehicles are built of tinfoil and plastic, and that trying to snatch it out by the bumper was a bad idea.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 02/25/2004 01:43:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.