Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  00:38:35  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I missed this on CNN. Rhea county commissioners, in Tennessee, voted unanimously to ban gays from the county. When told that such a ban was unconstitutional, they met again two days later, and unanimously overturned their previous decision.

Here's a snippet from PlanetOut:
quote:
The indignation [towards the first decision] was palpable in a letter to the editor published Wednesday in a local newspaper, The Chattanoogan.

"What an embarrassment to watch on CNN the twang-talking, tobacco-spitting, Bible-desecrating, hate crime offenders prance their medieval age beliefs, leaving the rest of the world confirmed on previous assumptions of what an often backwoods, cow-tipping, discriminating state Tennessee is said to be," wrote Lucy Bach of Chattanooga.
The fact that this went down in the county in which the Scopes trial occured should not be overlooked.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2004 :  07:45:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
What were the Rhea county commissioners thinking? That they could just up and BAN people they don't like? They needed someone to TELL THEM their vote was unconstitutional?

I love Lucy Bach's quote and hereby invitate her to join us on SFN. Lucy, if you're reading....
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  08:34:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
What do they mean by a gay ban.
Is that like the group Queen or something? Or is 'gay ban' like 'Ben Gay'?
Oh wait, this is about not letting Gay people live in the county...
I have to problems with that:
1. How do you know who is gay.
2. Where are they going to find interior decorators to fix up their trailers.

These people really have way too much time on their hands.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2004 :  08:39:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
I love this quote from the article:
quote:
"What an embarrassment to watch on CNN the twang-talking, tobacco-spitting, Bible-desecrating, hate crime offenders prance their medieval age beliefs, leaving the rest of the world confirmed on previous assumptions of what an often backwoods, cow-tipping, discriminating state Tennessee is said to be," wrote Lucy Bach of Chattanooga.

Tobacco-spitting Cow-tippers, what hoot!

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  21:18:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
"Oh wait, this is about not letting Gay people live in the county...
I have to problems with that:
1. How do you know who is gay.
2. Where are they going to find interior decorators to fix up their trailers."

I seriously hope you have more problems than that...

Really, come on, what would they do for priests who molest childern? Surely no straight priest would do that.

Wow, that was a really low blow. Maybe I shouldn't post this...

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2004 :  22:46:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
I'm just curious. Did their law also state anything about importing music in the state from say... Elton John for example?

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  06:19:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Well, this Albuquerque Tribune columnist had this to say:
Come on! If you're gonna be ignorant, go all the way.

I say, let them ban gays and lesbians from their county. I say take it beyond that. I say ban everything that even suggests gayness. And there's only one way to be sure, and that's to strip Rhea County of all things fabulous and/or sparkly.

Of course, certain subversive CDs and/or albums that make you feel like dancing, thinking, connecting emotionally or being happy, i.e. gay, in any way - Cher, Judy Garland, John Lennon, Johnny Mathis, Melissa Etheridge, U2, Prince, Bruce Springsteen, Donny Osmond - gotta go. (Marie Osmond is OK, 'cause she's a little bit country. But Donny, well, he's a little bit rock 'n' roll.)
No mention of Bennie and the Jets, specifically.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  14:36:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Well, this Albuquerque Tribune columnist had this to say:[bq][i]Come on! If you're gonna be ignorant, go all the way.

I say, let them ban gays and lesbians from their county. I say take it beyond that. I say ban everything that even suggests gayness. And there's only one way to be sure, and that's to strip Rhea County of all things fabulous and/or sparkly.

I've always had a fear of visiting the South. Don't know if there's a name for that or not.
And people keep telling me it's ok, I shouldn't worry.
Hum!
But I refuse to throw away my sparkly capes and buy overalls just to keep from getting arrested.
Did we miss something, when did Tennessee get elected to overturn the Constitution?

www.Carabao.net
As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  15:20:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
"I've always had a fear of visiting the South. Don't know if there's a name for that or not."

Normal?

Haha, but seriously, not all people in the South are homophobic/racist, probably just a higher percentage. Don't judge 'em before you get to know 'em.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  16:14:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
On behalf of tobacco-chewers everywhere, I must protest! We gave up 'cow-tipping' a long time ago.

I seem to recall reading that, after all the outcry and general hilarity, the commissioners back down. Sorry, no reference.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  17:42:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
filthy wrote:
quote:
I seem to recall reading that, after all the outcry and general hilarity, the commissioners back down. Sorry, no reference.
Um, just re-read the first post, above.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  18:07:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Aha, I see!

What happened is that I have a lot of difficulty reading small fonts, and as I'd already read it eleswhere, I shined it on.

Ah well. It ain't the first time I've looked dumb.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

byhisgrace88
Formerly "creation88"

USA
166 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  18:35:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send byhisgrace88 an AOL message Send byhisgrace88 a Private Message
I regret to say that I live in the northeast, where being gay is accepted as normal. I as a chrstian hate gays as so many people think we do. But I dis-agree with them on almost every topic spiritualy and sociely. Therefore there not generally the people I hang out with. Nor do I tend to hang out with people who have careless sex. Or a husband who is not faithful to his wife. I believe in the eyes of God, that no matter how Bible-banging typical christian it sounds, these are just as sinnful in God's eyes as being gay. So instead of saying I live in a region that is to accepting of gay's. I should say I live in a country that to accepting of sinnful sexual behavior.

Indeed, if we consider the unblushing promises of reward and the staggering nature of the rewards promised in the Gospels, it would seem that Our Lord finds our desire, not too strong, but too weak. We are half-hearted creatures, fooling about with drink and sex and ambition when infinite joy is offered us, like an ignorant child who wants to go on making mud pies in a slum because he cannot imagine what is meant by the offer of a holiday at the sea. We are far too easily pleased.-- C.S. Lewis
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  18:47:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Creation88, I've just gotta ask how you know these things? Do you ask people, "hey, have you ever been unfaithful to your wife?" A guy who cheats on his wife and lies about it to her is even more likely to lie about it to you. Same goes for "careless sex" (whatever you mean by that). How do you know that the people around you aren't gay?

And where, exactly, is homosexuality declared to be a sin, anyway? Where is "careless sex" declared to be a sin?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  19:14:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
I as a chrstian hate gays as so many people think we do.

I'm just going to assume very hard that this is a typo. Also for the rest of your post, please check your grammar and spelling. I really had a hard time reading your post.

I talked to quite a few biblical literalists in the Netherlands. Funny thing is they don't seem to agree at all with your position. According to them, nowhere in the bible is it stated that being gay is a sin. However, they do state that having sex with a person of the same gender as yourself is a sin. That is a big difference (whether you agree with either side or not).

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2004 :  19:16:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
"And where, exactly, is homosexuality declared to be a sin, anyway? Where is "careless sex" declared to be a sin?"

Come on Dave, you should have this down by heart. What do Creationists say whenever a skeptic makes any kind of argument? Its in the Bible.

"I as a chrstian hate gays as so many people think we do."

Hmmmm, I seem to remember some things from the Bible that say something like we are all god's children and love everyone, just as Jesus did. Maybe you should try reading it one day.

"So instead of saying I live in a region that is to accepting of gay's. I should say I live in a country that to accepting of sinnful sexual behavior."

The Bible says that you should stone everyone who is gay. Well, you better start gathering rocks, thats going to take a long time. You know what else the Bible says? It says you should stone anyone who does not keep the sabbath holy. Have you ever worked on a Sunday (or Saturday if you prefer the Old Testament)? Maybe you should stone yourself, its what the Bible says to do.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.