Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2004 :  09:18:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Update: Last night, while walking the dog, I spotted a dead (somewhat squished) Magicicada on the sidwalk. A neighbor later told me that she'd collected some "bug husks" off some trees (the remains of the last moltings), although she also found a green-eyed cicada, which are not of the Magicicada genus, and thus not part of the truly amazing emergence which is about to happen.

During lunch just a few minutes ago, I was outside and started listening to the bird calls and whatnot off in the woods nearby, and I could have sworn I heard a cicada call or two.

I'm betting the cicadas will be in full-swing within a few days or so. I can't wait!

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2004 :  09:29:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Oh yeah!

Haven't found nor heard any yet, but it can't be too far off. The pretty, greedy little Copperheads salivate with anticipation.

Edited to clean up some odd grammer and to add that I am old enough that this might be the last Great Hatch that I will experience. I as well as the Coppers intend to enjoy every raucous moment of it!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/11/2004 09:45:21
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  06:39:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
This morning, while walking the dog (again), I saw a female cicada fresh out of her last molting (it was next to her), clinging to a cement lamppost. Except for her eyes and a diamond-shaped patch on her head, she was all white, and waiting patiently to harden up. Unfortunately for her, most of her broodmates are still underground, and so she will, most likely, become bird food before the day is out. Natural selection in action.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  07:40:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Some people gots all the luck! Still nothing here that I have seen.

Perhaps your little bug might make it yet. I wish her the best of fortune.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  12:46:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Where are you located, anyway?

I was under the impression that the emergences typically go south-to-north, as the south tends to become warmer earlier in the year. Yet, I've heard that the emergence is well under way in Maryland already, but here in Virginia, I'm only seeing these onesie-twosie Magicicadas. Apparently, the more southern climes are cooler this year.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  13:42:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
North Carolina.

I probably just haven't looked in the right places yet. And it's still a tad early.

Have you heard any singing?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Zandermann
Skeptic Friend

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  16:21:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Zandermann an AOL message Send Zandermann a Private Message
Dave & filthy:

Here in SW Ohio, I'm seeing lots of open burrows but haven't heard a buzz yet. Ground temperature is above 65F, and we're supposed to get a drenching rain tonight, which should speed up the emergence.

I remember the '87 and '70 episodes well...really looking forward to the beady-eyed little devils again.

And the local pizza parlor has started airing their radio commercial advertising "cicada toppings".

"If in the last few years you haven't discarded a major opinion or acquired a new one, check your pulse. You may be dead."
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  06:30:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
filthy wrote:
quote:
North Carolina.

I probably just haven't looked in the right places yet. And it's still a tad early.
Well, according to this:
In North Carolina, the cicadas will be most prevalent in pockets in the central and western counties, he said. They are territorial and do not occur in large numbers in the Triangle. Development that disturbed the soil has reduced their numbers.
I found a county-by-county cicada map for VA and WV, but couldn't come up with anything for NC. And yeah, I thought I heard one calling the other day, but it could have been my imagination.

Zandermann: how'd the rain do?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Zandermann
Skeptic Friend

USA
431 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  17:27:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Zandermann an AOL message Send Zandermann a Private Message
quote:
Zandermann: how'd the rain do?

Rain last night was a no-show...but we're supposed to get dumped on most of the weekend, so it's only a matter of time.

Some of the kids at school are beginning to get panicky (they've only heard horror stories), but I'm looking forward to it.

"If in the last few years you haven't discarded a major opinion or acquired a new one, check your pulse. You may be dead."
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  19:52:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Yeah, I know bout the pocket populations of cicadas. I'm in one -- '87 was great.

Found a shed on a tree in my front yard this afternoon. Lookin' good. Hope to collect a couple in the next day or so for the yonger grands -- the older girls have reached the stage where they are much too cool to be messing with snakes and bugs and the like. But they'll grow out of it.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  20:08:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Okay, this morning, I saw no fewer than eight cicadas sunning themselves, trying to harden up. Three of them inches from one another on a single lamppost.

Minutes ago, near 11 PM, I watched two nymphs crawl up a tree until they were lost in shadows (we've got some 1,000-watt security lights hitting the trees near my balcony). I think tomorrow is going to be very buggy, but I've been wrong before.

And damn if this isn't turning into the cicada-watch thread. Where are Trish's supermassive black holes when you need 'em?

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/14/2004 :  22:28:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
A further note: in the last two hours and twenty minutes (or so), I've seen at least five more nymphs crawl up that one tree, seen two adult cicadas on my neighbor's balcony, and seen two adults crawling up the bricks of my own balcony. The really exciting part is that right now, I've got an adult breaking out of its last molting on my balcony. Those things are pale when they come out, except for the eyes. Wow.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2004 :  02:37:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I've found three mors sheds in my yard, which is pretty much wooded.

Real soon, now.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2004 :  16:51:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Today we had no fewer than eight adult cicadas hanging around on our balcony. They all appeared to be female. Pointy butts and no noise, even when handled. Today wasn't nearly as buggy as I thought it'd be, even with at least two dozen sheds on the tree nearby. I didn't hear any calls at all.

Evidently, I rock!
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/15/2004 :  18:16:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I just discovered why I'm not finding any cicadas to speak of around my humble digs: My wretched, thrice-cursed, house ‘possum is eating them! I caught the scoundrel in the very act about an hour ago. Damn!!

I should 'a realized it.

He's been acting a little odd for the last couple of weeks, coming out from behind the desk where he sleeps, grabbing a snack from his dish and a quick drink, then going outside through the cat hole. He'll drag himself back in, in the middle of the morning, looking like he's been pulled through a knothole. Another drink and a taste of cat food, and he's off to his funky lair behind the desk (that I need to clean out).

The other day, he looked so disheveled that I was wishing he'd invite me to the party.

The little greedyguts been scrambling through the brush all night scarfing cicadas as fast as he can find them. Hunting them the yard tonight, I caught him munching a fat nymph. Damn again!!

And there's nothing I can do about it as he's not a pet. I've never caged him nor tried to tame him. He was a juvenile when came in through the cat hole some six years or so back and like a fool, I fed him. Guess I'll have to take my cicada hunting elsewhere.

I do not understand the fear this hatch is inspiring in so many people. I think it should be a time of celebration. What could signify the renewal of life better than the songs of a big hatch?

Incidentally, I think a cicada watch is entirely appropriate and on topic for this thread.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.22 seconds.