Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Randy
SFN Regular

USA
1990 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  21:31:27  Show Profile Send Randy a Private Message
http://www.airamericaradio.com/

Caught a blurb on the evening news just now about Franken's new daily liberal radio talk show. Video snip shows Franken at the mike opening with, "We're broadcasting from our bunker 3500 feet below Dick Chaney's bunker".
Sounds like it's going to be a fun ride.

Here's a bit from the website. Note that the daily show is repeated at 11 at night.

About The O'Franken Factor

Drug-Free Radio
Liars beware: Al Franken, co-host Katherine Lanpher and Team O'Franken invite you to spend three hours a day in the Zero Spin Zone.
Weekdays noon-3pm
Repeat: 11pm-2am

After debunking right-wing propaganda in his bestselling books Lies, and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them and Rush Limbaugh is a Big Fat Idiot, Al Franken is taking the fight to America's airwaves--and he's doing it drug-free. With his co-host, veteran radio personality Katherine Lanpher, Franken will deliver three hours a day of fearlessly irreverent commentary, comedy, and interviews. Franken and Lanpher have a mean streak a smile wide. The O'Franken Factor will energize fans, infuriate liars, and deliver the truth--in what Al Franken likes to call the Zero Spin Zone.

Host: Al Franken
Co-host: Katherine Lanpher
Executive Producer: Billy Kimball

"We are all connected; to each other biologically, to the earth chemically, to the rest of the universe atomically."

"So you're made of detritus [from exploded stars]. Get over it. Or better yet, celebrate it. After all, what nobler thought can one cherish than that the universe lives within us all?"
-Neil DeGrasse Tyson

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2004 :  22:32:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
Have been listening on-line. Ahhhhh - the air* is suddenly fresh!

*As in airwaves that is.
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  06:20:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
I wish a Seattle station would pick this up!

It's no coincidence that the FCC, under Reagan, repealed the Fairness Doctrine, which once upon a time required stations to give airtime to both sides. And soon after that, America saw the rise of right-wing talk radio--and with it, the demonization of the left and the beginning of the slow decline of civilized, thoughtful, balanced discourse (if it ever existed in America!)

No matter which side of the political aisle you're on, hearing multiple views on an issue is GOOD and it's crucial to a functioning democracy.

Edited to clarify what the Fairness Doctrine actually required: that both sides be aired, not necessarily equal time to both sides.
Edited by - Renae on 04/01/2004 06:47:05
Go to Top of Page

NubiWan
Skeptic Friend

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  12:03:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send NubiWan a Private Message
quote:

No matter which side of the political aisle you're on, hearing multiple views on an issue is GOOD and it's crucial to a functioning democracy.

Here here!

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  14:55:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Randy

http://www.airamericaradio.com/

I have listened to this station for the last 2 hours and apparently there is no truth coming out of liberal radio either. There are just as many half truths as on national conservative radio except that this station likes personal attacks. I have found that if you are conservative you believe the Republicans, if you are liberal, you believe the Democrats. Neither side puts the whole truth out there. Is there anybody on this site that can say one good thing about President Bush? I have not liked everything he has done, but he has done some good things as well.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  16:51:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Robb wrote:
quote:
Is there anybody on this site that can say one good thing about President Bush?
I like the idea of tax cuts...

...I just happen to think the last one was implemented at a monumentally stupid point in time.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  18:30:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Robb wrote:
quote:
Is there anybody on this site that can say one good thing about President Bush?
I like the idea of tax cuts...

...I just happen to think the last one was implemented at a monumentally stupid point in time.

Dave W.'s answer is, no.

Government is not reason; it is not eloquent; it is force. Like fire, it is a dangerous servant and a fearful master. - George Washington
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  18:52:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
Robb, I despise our president and 95% of his policies.

The only good thing I can think of about Bush is that I agreed with the Don't Call list that keeps telemarketers from pestering me.

What "half truths" are you hearing on liberal radio? Maybe you're just hearing THE OTHER HALF of what the mainstream media and the right-wing nuts have been presenting as "truth" for years.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  18:59:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Robb wrote:
quote:
Dave W.'s answer is, no.
No, I don't have any particular qualms with the first tax cut. Unless I'm missing something about it.

And then Renae brought up the "Do Not Call" registry, which is a fine idea. I didn't know Bush was the major player behind it.

On a different note, I find it funny that conservative pundits have been screaming about the "liberal-run media" for a while now, while on that same media.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  19:03:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renae

Robb, I despise our president and 95% of his policies.

The only good thing I can think of about Bush is that I agreed with the Don't Call list that keeps telemarketers from pestering me.

Thanks Renae, I agree.

quote:
What "half truths" are you hearing on liberal radio? Maybe you're just hearing THE OTHER HALF of what the mainstream media and the right-wing nuts have been presenting as "truth" for years.

I said in my post that both conservative and liberal radio programs only present their side or only the facts that support their position. I also find it funny that both liberals and conservatives agree on one thing, that the main stream media is biased! They do not agree on which way though. I guess it's a start.

Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  19:03:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
quote:

I wouldn't give Bush credit for this. He just signed it into law because of public pressure.

Should we give him credit for the Can-Spam Act of 2003?

I can't argue against the No Call list but I can't see giving Bush credit for it.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  19:09:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
Entire books have been written about how we DON'T have a liberal media. (See Eric Alterman, "What Liberal Media?")

Eric and others have suggested that right-wingers promoted the mostly false idea of a 'liberal media' in order to achieve their own political goals. Some journalists then bend over backwards THE OTHER direction--ie, to the right--to prove that darn it, they're NOT liberal. Get what I mean?

The media used to be liberal, IMO, only in the sense that they questioned authority. Good journalists (remember Edward R. Murrow, Walter Cronkite, et al) were fair, if not objective, but they INVESTIGATED. They questioned our leaders. The Bush administration has all but shut down investigative reporting with their secretiveness--and the media have self-censored (see Christiane Amanpour of CNN's comments on the Iraq war) and aided the administration's efforts.

I'm beyond thrilled about liberal radio. I hope it can start to undo years of conservative brainwashing and bullshit.
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  19:42:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:

Entire books have been written about how we DON'T have a liberal media. (See Eric Alterman, "What Liberal Media?")

This is what I mean. There are also books on how the media IS liberal. So what. People will never agree.
quote:
The Bush administration has all but shut down investigative reporting with their secretiveness.

Is it investigative reporting if the Bush administration just gives all the information to the media?

Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2004 :  20:19:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
The point isn't whether or not people will agree. The point is that people should read/hear both sides--AND that one side may be more well-supported with logic, facts, research, compassion, etc. I have a degree in a related area, I have read extensively about the media, and I don't believe there is a liberal bias in the media.

The Bush administration has created unprecedented roadblocks to journalists getting information. Reagan behaved in similar ways--Reagan,in fact, re-classified information that had been previously DECLASSIFIED. Bush is so incapable of impromptu, unscripted speech that his handlers don't let him give many interviews or press conferences.
Go to Top of Page

TaterBlade

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  11:16:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit TaterBlade's Homepage Send TaterBlade a Private Message
I don't know what your "related" degree is in Renae, or what you have read about the media, but the liberal media bias is real. It is well known that virtually all the mainstream newspapers and the major TV Networks & their news divisions have been run by democrats and left-wingers for years. The radio, on the other hand has been controlled more recently by the right-wing.

Cable news, while initially left-wing (CNN - The Clinton News Network) has also tended to be more conservative, although the opinions about Fox News being a mouthpiece for the current administration are somewhat dubios - It depends on which show.

As for Al O'Franken, I think he is funny, and a bit of a jerk. I have heard some very valid points, so far, and some real vitriol. I will continue to listen, for a while. Personally I'm glad he is on in the same time slot as Rush. (I thought he was funny too, but his vitriol grew old for me a long time ago).

"Black holes are where God divided by zero"
Steven Wright
Edited by - TaterBlade on 04/02/2004 11:35:28
Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2004 :  11:30:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:

I have a degree in a related area, I have read extensively about the media, and I don't believe there is a liberal bias in the media.

http://www.rightgrrl.com/99grrls/February/Lisa_P/hillary.shtml

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.