Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Conspiracy Theories
 911 Pentagon attack -- Flight 77 or not? Help!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  08:48:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Valiant Dancer wrote:
quote:
I was basing the 5' figure on an estimation of the hole's size in relation to the structural figure showing damage. I saw that the hole was about the width of the space between two support columns. the report mentioned that the entry hole was about 40' wide destroying eight support columns. My guestimation could definately be wrong by a factor of 2.
Here's another photo of the hole.

There's at least one diagram in the report which clearly shows the column lines being ten feet apart. Eight columns "missing or broken" mean something 80 feet wide (at least) smacked into the building hard enough to push the whole outside wall in, but apparently, the part which actually penetrated is smaller. As already noted, the impact damage to the facade runs from North of column line 8, all the way to the gashes found at line 20, where it is presumed that the right wingtip hit.

Wow. Photos like this one are incredibly misleading, as they don't even show the whole first floor. You can't even see the wheels of the emergency vehicles. This makes all the "where is the plane?" questions amongst the comments really strange. I bet someone could have posted a photo of an undamaged East side of the building, and random Internet conspiracy theorists would still ask, "where's the plane?!?!?!!1!"

Note, however, that you can see facade damage on the second floor, south of the collapse.

This photo shows the facade damage on the north side of the collapse, along with shoring to replace missing columns. It also shows a large pile of debris to the left of the collapse, but I suppose it's hard to tell if any of it is melted aluminum.

I kept skimming that "physics" article. Yuck. Very sloppy, full of straw-man arguments. The main one appears to be that "they" claim that the plane exploded and vaporized itself. The author spends a lot of time arguing against such a ridiculous idea, which is a tremendous waste of effort.

And I laughed out loud on page three, where he wrote:
Lets apply some more critical thinking.
He should have been applying critical thinking all the time, and shouldn't have to point it out. But I suppose, because he avoids critical thinking elsewhere, it was a special case.

For example, he makes the argument that the hole to AE Drive could not have been made by an engine, as it would have had to travel through 18 feet of stone walls (he assumes - incorrectly - that each ring has 3-foot-thick stone walls) at an angle of 45 degrees, for 27 feet, total (let's just ignore the poor math - 18 times root 2 is 25.46). He claims an engine couldn't possibly do this, but that a missile could, based on the fact that a couple of bunker-busters can penetrate 10 or more feet reinforced concrete.

Physics? Mathematics? Missing in that article.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  15:39:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
"Hold your arms straight out from your body, and run through a narrow door, and you'll understand what I'm talking about"

Just make sure the door is open.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  17:48:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

"Hold your arms straight out from your body, and run through a narrow door, and you'll understand what I'm talking about"

Just make sure the door is open.

You just have to run really fast, otherwise you'll miss important factors when trying to replicate the crash.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.27 seconds.