Placebo Power!
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  09:42:58  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
I want to be Ben Goldacre when I grow up:
It's placebo, but that doesn't mean it's useless. If you wanted to maximise everyone's health, then doctors would confidently lie to their patients about effectiveness of treatments, the way they did before we began championing choice and informed consent over efficacy; and people like me would stop debunking placebo alternative therapies.
That would make life a lot easier, wouldn't it? Heck, I've got some medicines I'd like to patent...

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  10:17:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Perhaps it's time for the medical establishment take back control of placebo market. Then, at least it would be a qualified physician who would be making that call. And guess what? I'm not kidding!

I asked my doctor and he said there is no such thing as a placebo requiring a prescription. Pity. On the other hand, he may have been just telling me that as he prescribed yet another placebo for me to take...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  10:23:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
One of my pharmacology professors once told us that probably around 70% of the medical treatments was not proven to be really effective. One of my epidemiology professors told me in addition that the medicins prescribed by doctors for high blood pressure probably don't work, while antidiurethics are probably a very good treatment for high blood pressure.
I haven't gotten round to researching their claims yet, but it sets you thinking. Probably Ben Goldacre's solution is already widely spread

Placebo treatments are shown to be very effective (in clinical trials researching this, the placebo effect can be responsible for around 70% of the medicin's effect). The only problem about prescribing them as a doctor, is that nobody is going to trust you anymore, since you're prescribing sugar anyway. It would indeed make life a lot easier, only problem is you have to con everybody and that is quite unethical (aside from the fact that it wouldn't work). So unfortunately we'll be doomed to keep on developing real medicins

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2004 :  10:32:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Probably Ben Goldacre's solution is already widely spread

Upon rereading the article, I saw I made an error. Goldacre is not proclaiming to see this as a solution, he's merely pointing out that it works, and would come in handy if we could use it.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
Go to Top of Page

dominic_dice
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
53 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  08:25:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send dominic_dice a Private Message
A problem is that for us Skeptics, would that mean that treatments were less effective? And what about doctors, if they found out that AIDs (unlikly I know but for the sake of argument) could be cured with a placebo would that mean that doctors wouldn't be able to be treated?

"Are you THE dominic_dice"
"No, a dominic_dice. I come in six packs now"
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2004 :  08:42:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
A problem is that for us Skeptics, would that mean that treatments were less effective? And what about doctors, if they found out that AIDs (unlikly I know but for the sake of argument) could be cured with a placebo would that mean that doctors wouldn't be able to be treated?

As far as is known up to now, it all depends on how much trust you put in the medicin. If you trust the medicin to work, than it will probably work better. Come to think of it, if you are positive about the outcome, a treatment also has a better chance of succeeding. So, everybody, think happy thoughts (happy thoughts, happy thoughts, happy thoughts ).

Tom

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.