Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2004 :  23:49:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Ricky wrote:
quote:
And one might get the idea that the Easter Bunny is real, but that doesn't make him so. If the companies are doing this and you can show that they are, then the claim is valid. Otherwise....
In all fairness, Woody wrote that "one might get the idea that" the drug companies want to keep people sick.

Thanks Dave. I had no idea what he was trying to convey with that statement. Apparently he didn't know what I was saying.

As far as Ricky saying "Heart attacks are more frequent during the day when the body is active, thus higher blood pressure." when I said they happen more at certain times of the day. I suggest anyone interested should look up the Framingham Heart Study.
Thank you.

www.Carabao.net
As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2004 :  00:04:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
My emphasis on 'might', although it's been obvious to me that many people have precisely that idea. Especially amongst the sufferers of diseases for which there is no cure, in which case the idea is that the drug companies sell crap they know doesn't work, in order to keep people coming back (and/or that they know of a cure, but are suppressing it for profitability).

Actually that is the opposit of what I was saying. Not that your points aren't appreciated. But to try to make my thoughts clear, I was saying that there are so many side effects that, in some cases are the same as the problems one is trying to cure (ie, headache), I'm wondering why take the pill in the 1st place. Thus the comment, the drug companies are keeping us sick.

www.Carabao.net
As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2004 :  06:03:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
Woody, I'm like you: I read the PDR on any medication I'm prescribed. The downside is I tend to get unreasonably anxious about taking medication; the upside is that I know the risk I'm taking.

I worked for a biotech company and am highly doubtful of any conspiracy to keep cures from the public. For one thing, a cure would be highly profitable. For another thing, the ethics of the scientists I work for showed no evidence of being selfish or corrupt. I didn't have X-Ray vision into the scientists' heads, nor do I have experience with every biotech scientist on the planet, of course.

Any drug can kill you. Every drug has a side effect profile. Not all drugs are equally risky and not all side effects occur with the same frequency in clinical trials. Further, not all side effects are worth stopping a drug for. To make blanket statements about what drug should be taken for what makes no sense; each person is different and those decisions are between two people: the patient and her doctor.

Maybe because I worked in medical admin for so long and was engaged to a male nurse, I don't understand the public's mistrust and paranoia about doctors and biotech companies. It just doesn't jibe with my experience. I have tremendous respect for doctors, nurses, and researchers and the work they do. On the clinical side, especially, it ain't easy work.

Dave, thanks for being a voice of reason on those boards. How's the champagne on your yacht?
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2004 :  09:29:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Woody wrote:
quote:
Actually that is the opposit of what I was saying.
Well, the first part wasn't. The phrase which starts, "in which case the idea..." is actually introducing a new thought, which I expound upon at length. The first part of what you quoted was me agreeing with you, I've seen it a lot.

Renae wrote:
quote:
Dave, thanks for being a voice of reason on those boards.
Thanks, but my voice only went so far, and was shouted down by folks who refused to even make an attempt at understanding what I said. Five years was enough.
quote:
How's the champagne on your yacht?
One of the first rules on the yacht is that since everyone's tastes are different, it is BYOB.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2004 :  23:51:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renae

Woody, I'm like you: I read the PDR on any medication I'm prescribed. The downside is I tend to get unreasonably anxious about taking medication; the upside is that I know the risk I'm taking.

I don't know about your anxious part but I agree that we should know the risks and not depend on doctors to make those discissions for us.
quote:

Any drug can kill you. Every drug has a side effect profile. Not all drugs are equally risky and not all side effects occur with the same frequency in clinical trials. Further, not all side effects are worth stopping a drug for. To make blanket statements about what drug should be taken for what makes no sense; each person is different and those decisions are between two people: the patient and her doctor.

Absolutely, no question. I can see you do know what you are talking about. And I completely agree.

quote:

It just doesn't jibe with my experience. I have tremendous respect for doctors, nurses, and researchers and the work they do. On the clinical side, especially, it ain't easy work.

[/quote]
Well you got at least one thing right...it ain't easy. Can't speak for all doctors but nurses do get the fuzzy end of the lollipop. Over worked and under paid. And I'm not one for saying people should earn too much money like unions would like. I don't think there should be a minimun wage but there some jobs that don't get the full recognition they deserve.
Doctors do need, IMO, more training in certain areas. Many of the younger generation are missing something when it comes diagnosing or treating people. Perhaps it's the presure of the medical groups but I do see how there is mistrust and have heard too many stories of things gone wrong.

www.Carabao.net
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2004 :  23:54:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:

Woody wrote:
quote:
Actually that is the opposit of what I was saying.
Well, the first part wasn't. The phrase which starts, "in which case the idea..." is actually introducing a new thought, which I expound upon at length. The first part of what you quoted was me agreeing with you, I've seen it a lot.

Ok, whatever. It's too far back to remember who said what.
And....what have you seen a lot?

www.Carabao.net
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.