Save Password
Forgot your Password?
Home | Forums | Active Topics | Active Polls | Register | FAQ | Contact Us  
  Connect: Chat | SFN Messenger | Buddy List | Members
Personalize: Profile | My Page | Forum Bookmarks  
 All Forums
 Our Skeptic Forums
 Creation/Evolution
 Does Creationism explain Iridium-rich KT-strata?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2004 :  20:50:09  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Fundies(TM) always claim that "It's in the Bible, therefore it has to be true...".
If most, if not all strata comes from Noah's Flood, what Bible verse explains the presense of the Iridium-rich KT-strata?

It's rather evenly distributed over the whole world, but it's extremly localized as far as the strata goes. Geology and astronomy has a very good founded explanations for it being there, but what does the Bible say? Our knowledge of hydrodynamics and chemistry can't explain how it could be such a thin, yet global layer, if it was caused by a global flood.
Since such abundance of Iridium is only found in asteroids, where else would it come from?

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.

Woody D
Skeptic Friend

Thailand
285 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  00:39:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Woody D a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Since such abundance of Iridium is only found in asteroids, where else would it come from?

I don't know anything about that, sorry. But I'm glad you mentioned it. If I might just mention a problem I'm about to have? A good friend I've known for over 15 years and have a lot in common with, execpt religion, had suddenly decided to have a conversation with me about that very subject. I told her, I don't want to loose the friendship, she said she just wants to know more about what I think and we can learn from each other. But it's started already! We talked a short time during which I said science has proven things over the many years that once were thought to be something from the gods. She said........Oh, do you believe that man came from apes. Oy!
She said there is no other life in the universe, I said they don't know yet and are still looking. HELP!
I'll tell her what you've said here, but how do you talk to someone who 'has all the answers' because it's in the bible? I don't think she wants to really hear what I have to say, I think she wants to convince me that the bible is right. Help!

www.Carabao.net
As long as there's, you know, sex and drugs, I can do without the rock and roll.
Mick Shrimpton
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  01:56:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
In all honesty, I don't recall hearing nor reading any comments from YECs about the Iridium layer. I don't know what they have to say about it but now that you mention it, it would be a bit hard to explain away with a flood, methinks. And it's especally interesting as it represents a fortious, from a mammalian point of view, catastrophy of it's own, and one far more spectacular, not to mention; possible, than a little high water.

Snake, I fear you're about to lose a friend. I have a feeling that you're about to get seriously witnessed at, which, sooner or later, devout Christians will do. The Bible sez they gotta. The thing I would do, if I valued this person's aquaintence as you seem to do, is simply refuse to discuss either science or religion with her. If she is a friend and reasonably intelligent, she'll respect that. Otherwise, be prepared to fend off hours of mythology that we've all heard before, and invitations to church.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2004 :  12:42:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Woody D
I don't know anything about that, sorry. But I'm glad you mentioned it. If I might just mention a problem I'm about to have? A good friend I've known for over 15 years and have a lot in common with, execpt religion, had suddenly decided to have a conversation with me about that very subject. I told her, I don't want to loose the friendship, she said she just wants to know more about what I think and we can learn from each other. But it's started already! We talked a short time during which I said science has proven things over the many years that once were thought to be something from the gods. She said........Oh, do you believe that man came from apes. Oy!
She said there is no other life in the universe, I said they don't know yet and are still looking. HELP!
I'll tell her what you've said here, but how do you talk to someone who 'has all the answers' because it's in the bible? I don't think she wants to really hear what I have to say, I think she wants to convince me that the bible is right. Help!

One of my best friends is a christian and a creationist. I must say that we discussed creationism and christianity quite a lot, and yes, I've been invited to church. I also went to church a couple of times. The discussions have given us both a better understanding of each other and at some point we just ended up in a 'draw', were we just couldn't convince the other and most arguments had been sufficiently explored. Every now and then we still have a discussion about it, but always in a fun and relaxed way, having a nice beer in a nice pub, accepting each other positions.
I wouldn't say it's a problem, as long as you both can accept that you probably won't convince the other in the end (and that goes for both of you). Yes, she'll want to convince you in the beginning, but it will pretty soon become clear that she won't be able to. You don't have to loose a friend over this IMO, especially if you have a lot in common except religion.

edited to add more text, just because

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Edited by - tomk80 on 05/04/2004 12:45:42
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  09:56:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Woody D

quote:

I've had similar troubles in the past. I once dated a Jehovah's Witness. She wasn't exactly practicing at the time because her mother was caught committing adultry and the whole family was kicked out of the church as punishment. Anyway, I was trying to talk sense to her about science and what not for a few months and I actually thought I was getting through to her. Then one day she brings me a copy of their 'Awake!' magazine and shows me an article about how all this scientific research is faked in order for scientists to get rich with funding for bogus projects and notoriety from publishing in scientific journals. That's when I knew it was a lost cause.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  10:01:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:

Fundies(TM) always claim that "It's in the Bible, therefore it has to be true...".
If most, if not all strata comes from Noah's Flood, what Bible verse explains the presense of the Iridium-rich KT-strata?

It's rather evenly distributed over the whole world, but it's extremly localized as far as the strata goes. Geology and astronomy has a very good founded explanations for it being there, but what does the Bible say? Our knowledge of hydrodynamics and chemistry can't explain how it could be such a thin, yet global layer, if it was caused by a global flood.

Dr. Mabuse, the solution to this problem is obvious. Like dinosaur bones, God put this 'layer' in the strata to test our faith. God told us everything was in the bible and as a part of Faith, expects us to accept that. But Satan has filled the world with tests and traps to try and shake our Faith so we will wander away from God. Such a simple trap is a terrible way to lose your soul. Satan has far more difficult ones in store for you.

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  11:49:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
As Terry Pratchett writes in 'Good Omens', the earth is really around 6000 years old. The fossil record is just one of God's little jokes which archeologists haven't figured out yet

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  12:58:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
chaloobi wrote
quote:
Dr. Mabuse, the solution to this problem is obvious. Like dinosaur bones, God put this 'layer' in the strata to test our faith. God told us everything was in the bible and as a part of Faith, expects us to accept that. But Satan has filled the world with tests and traps to try and shake our Faith so we will wander away from God. Such a simple trap is a terrible way to lose your soul. Satan has far more difficult ones in store for you.

Actually, Ra authored the bible to test your faith in him. Since you believe in the bible and not Ra you will lose your soul.

PS If the almighty God is trying to trick me, what chance have I got. Besides maybe God made the Bible is the 'trick' and the dinsosaur bones are real. How about all of those competing Christian religions. Each one says the other are going to Hell. Now that is testing your faith. If you have true faith you will pick the right form of Christainity.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

chaloobi
SFN Regular

1620 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2004 :  16:38:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send chaloobi a Yahoo! Message Send chaloobi a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by furshur

chaloobi wrote
quote:

Actually, Ra authored the bible to test your faith in him. Since you believe in the bible and not Ra you will lose your soul.

PS If the almighty God is trying to trick me, what chance have I got. Besides maybe God made the Bible is the 'trick' and the dinsosaur bones are real. How about all of those competing Christian religions. Each one says the other are going to Hell. Now that is testing your faith. If you have true faith you will pick the right form of Christainity.

LMAO! Excellant!

-Chaloobi

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.