Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2004 :  15:36:04  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Alright, I was randomly thinking about the moon and its orbit. Now it is pretty well known in the scientific community that the moon came out of Earth when it was in its early stage and a meteroid hit it, right? Well, if this is so, what caused the moon to get the orbit it did? I mean, when the meteroid hit the Earth, the chunk of magma must have came out at 180 degrees to where that meteroid hit. So then it would be traveling in a straight line away from Earth. Now with the Earth's gravity, it would either fall back or escape from it, but it wouldn't start moving in a direction parralle to the Earth right? Where am I going wrong?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2004 :  16:13:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
You can't prove that I mooned anybody, so stop saying that.... Oh... Wait...

I'd think that it all would depend upon the angle the metorite approached the earth. The chunk of magma would not necessaraly have gone out at 180 degrees.

Perhaps someone better informed about this sort of thing can enlighten us both.

Edited to re-spell 'both'. :rolleyes:

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 05/11/2004 16:15:44
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2004 :  19:29:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
Check out this site, it has a rather good explanation.
http://www.psi.edu/projects/moon/moon.html

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2004 :  22:06:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I'd think that it all would depend upon the angle the metorite approached the earth. The chunk of magma would not necessaraly have gone out at 180 degrees.

Perhaps someone better informed about this sort of thing can enlighten us both.

It's the protoplanet's trajectory offset from Earth's center that is important. We'd like to call it protoplanet, because, the size is estimated to have been something like, or perhaps a vee bit smaller than Mars. Which is quite a bit larger than the average asteroid...
I found a nice pic the could be useful. Note that we're talking about a grazing blow.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2004 :  17:48:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Ahhh, lol, I guess I assumed that it had to be a direct hit. Whoops.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/13/2004 :  15:13:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Ahhh, lol, I guess I assumed that it had to be a direct hit. Whoops.

The scenario you're suggesting seems more like the Mercury-impact. That hit was dead on, and the splash sent much of the mantle scattering in many dircections. That's why the core/mantle ratio is different (much more core, less mantle) compared to the other inner planets.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

thecor

Italy
27 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  02:39:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send thecor a Private Message
Does anyone think it strange that the moon just fits the disk of the sun during a solar eclipse so that (as observed in the only total eclipse I have personall seen) only the corona is visible? Makes it rather convienent for study.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  03:07:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hi thecor and welcome!

Y'know, I never gave that any thought. It's not really in my field of interest, but it's kinda neat, isn't it?

Have the IDers picked up on it yet?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

thecor

Italy
27 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  03:19:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send thecor a Private Message
What is an IDer?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  04:52:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by thecor

What is an IDer?

A proponent of Intelligent Design, the latest attempt subvert scientific education in public schools.

Thinking about it, I'm a little suprised not to have heard of this moon/sun relationship from them. It seems like a natural.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

thecor

Italy
27 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  05:07:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send thecor a Private Message
Other than the creationist, I am not aware of other intelligent designer theories. If there sites available for further research, I would appreciate them being posted. I would not be surprised to learn that the moon is an artifical satelite placed in orbit to block much of the light from the sun, to protect a particular species from the intense solar radiation(ala the Annunaki of Sitchin fame). It appears that we humans are not particullary well suited to live under this bombardment either.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  06:58:50   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I think I can come up with something.

Now lesse, where did I leave that? Hmmm..,...damn... aha! Here we are!

quote:
Introduction

If we understand our own times, we will know that we should affirm the reality of God by challenging the domination of materialism and naturalism in the world of the mind. With the assistance of many friends I have developed a strategy for doing this,...We call our strategy the "wedge." --Phillip E. Johnson [1]

http://search.searchenhancement.com/nph-enhanced.cgi?affid=sesm&sstring=Introduction

This should pass along a pretty good idea of what's happening with these turkeys.

The current big blather with them is something about "fairness in the classroom." Teachers should be fair and present both sides even if one of them has no empirical evidence to support it and the other groans under the weight of that evidence. Are science classes supposed to be a democracy?

Heh. Ask my brother that one and just watch how fast he becomes apoplectic!

Ask me and I'll just sneer, but he's a professor of biology, and I am not.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

thecor

Italy
27 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  09:55:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send thecor a Private Message
http://search.searchenhancement.com/nph-enhanced.cgi?affid=sesm&sstring=Introduction did not work for me, but thanks for trying.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  11:26:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

http://search.searchenhancement.com/nph-enhanced.cgi?affid=sesm&sstring=Introduction did not work for me, but thanks for trying.

'K, try running a google on Bill Dembski. He's one of the major proponents and has much to say on it.

He also is a silent partner in a Barbeque joint in TX. If I get out that way, I might stop by and see if his barbeque is any better supported than his writings. Or even better than the 'Q I make.

Also, Talk Origins has some info on ID and Dembski along with a lot of other, heavily referenced articles and papers on the ToE. Here's the link to the home page:

http://www.talkorigins.org/

Enjoy the read!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 05/23/2004 :  12:08:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:

Does anyone think it strange that the moon just fits the disk of the sun during a solar eclipse so that (as observed in the only total eclipse I have personall seen) only the corona is visible? Makes it rather convienent for study.

I think it's very neat!
And I don't think it's strange either. It's just very convenient that the distance is just about right at this point in time. A few million years ago, the moon was a bit closer, in a few million years more there will never be a total again. I don't have the numbers ready, it could be much less than that.

Remember, Earth's orbit around the sun is elliptic, and the Moon's orbit around Earth is also elliptic. The variation in distance will affect the totality.
In August -99 in Europe the totality lasted for two minutes in Munich where I flew to observe it. The eclipse in Central America next spring will, if I recall correctly (I've lost the links I had to the prediction), not be a totality, because the aparent diameter of the moon will be less than the sun.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2004 :  08:06:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Carl Sagan, in his book Broca's Brain, had a chapter on a guy whose name I can't remember now (my copy of the book is packed away at the moment), who claimed to be a "messenger of God." He pointed out the size similarity this way (paraphrasing from memory):
The Sun and Moon both take up half a degree of sky. There are 720 half-degrees in a full circle, and 720=6x5x4x3x2x1. Therefore, God exists.
Numerology, astronomy and religion all wrapped up together - how could he be wrong?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds.