welshdean
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2004 :  18:56:42  Show Profile Send welshdean a Private Message
Has any body read this book!
I've found a shocking quote in the synopsis:
quote:
He brings the book to a close by discussing the nature of science - that it progresses through paradigms which explain some of the facts, but where anomalous ones are suppressed - which is why there is reluctance to give due weight to the many problems with the theory of evolution.

It made me think when I found his credentials, is he qualified, has he published a paper?
quote:
David Swift graduated in Natural Sciences from St John's College, Cambridge in 1974 and subsequently obtained an MSc in Water Resources Technology from the University of Birmingham. His research has encompassed many aspects of the hydrological cycle, and he lectures on a range of environmental concerns.

I should reserve judgement 'til I've read it. But it does sound a little 'woo woo'.

Edited to add: I found the link at the bottom of these pages!!! If it is 'woo woo' will it be dropped or will we condone it?

"Frazier is so ugly he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life."

"I am America. I am the part you won't recognize, but get used to me. Black, confident, cocky. My name, not yours. My religion, not yours. My goals, my own. Get used to me."

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."

---- Muhammad Ali

Edited by - welshdean on 06/22/2004 18:59:38

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  02:34:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally quoted by welshdean
which is why there is reluctance to give due weight to the many problems with the theory of evolution.

I find it funny that though there are many problems with evolution,
these kooks fearless champions of the truth are never able to specify even a single one.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  03:17:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Apparently it's more ID stuff, albeit a bit better written than most. A quich Google came up with this:

quote:
Lastly the author considers why scientists are so reluctant to reject evolution in view of the overwhelming evidence against it. Naturally this brings him to a discussion of paradigms and methodological naturalism. Not surprisingly, the widespread prejudice in science against anything smacking of the supernatural has not escaped his notice. In the end he turns his attention to the argument to design, and the criteria for recognizing suitable phenomena. Interestingly he declares that Paley was, in fact, right: "We now know that all living organisms and, indeed, many of their parts considered independently, are unequivocal examples of design without a viable natural explanation" (p. 403). On this amazing note, the author finds himself prepared to contemplate the supernatural. It is a conclusion entirely consistent with science, he says.

http://www.leightonacademic.com/eutm3content.htm

The google also showed that David W. Swift is a pretty active writer on several topics, if indeed it's the same David W Swift. Also it seems, he's good at it. The book might be worth a glance, surely.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  06:40:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
"I find it funny that though there are many problems with evolution,
these kooks fearless champions of the truth are never able to specify even a single one."

Most "problems" with evolution stem from the chicken and the egg. They say things like "We would need HCl in our digestive system to break down food and we would need a coating for that HCl to protect our cells, and one can't come before the other and it would be extremely unlikely for both to evolve in the same life form."

Of course, the answer to that one is that lower concentrations of HCl could be used at first, so low that they didn't damage the cells, and the concentration got higher as the protective cells evolved.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  10:05:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
The ID people are guilty of what they accuse advocates of evolution... ignoring the evidence against it, and failing to see the fallacy of their argument.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

welshdean
Skeptic Friend

United Kingdom
172 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2004 :  18:42:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send welshdean a Private Message
quote:
"We now know that all living organisms and, indeed, many of their parts considered independently, are unequivocal examples of design without a viable natural explanation" (p. 403). On this amazing note, the author finds himself prepared to contemplate the supernatural. It is a conclusion entirely consistent with science, he says.

So! He is a kook, then!
Filthy, would you really spend some of your 'hard earned' on this shit. You can find the 'same o - same o' on each and every ID site!!

Oh no! I just thought, Filthy, are you turning to the dark side, have you just found out that you are a love child of j. saffarti and d. gish (no caps intended).
I can imagine the conversation, (if George Lucas is reading this, then I swear, any resemblance is coincidental)
DG & JS: Filthy, join us, together we can rule the galaxy.
Luke Filthy: Never, I would see you dead first.
DG & JS: But we are your father Filthy!
Luke Filthy: Nooooooooooo!
(and so forth)

"Frazier is so ugly he should donate his face to the US Bureau of Wild Life."

"I am America. I am the part you won't recognize, but get used to me. Black, confident, cocky. My name, not yours. My religion, not yours. My goals, my own. Get used to me."

"Service to others is the rent you pay for your room here on earth."

---- Muhammad Ali

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds.