Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  10:11:22  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/main/index.html

It will be interesting to find out more about Saturn's rings and makeup. And the pictures will be beautiful.

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  12:46:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Yeah, looking forward to some killer pics from this mission.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2004 :  15:27:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Robb

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/cassini/main/index.html

It will be interesting to find out more about Saturn's rings and makeup. And the pictures will be beautiful.

Saturn rings may be a source of ice if we want to terraform Mars.
Sci-fi reference: "The Martian Way" by Isaak Asimov

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

satans_mom
Skeptic Friend

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  00:21:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send satans_mom an AOL message  Send satans_mom a Yahoo! Message Send satans_mom a Private Message
I've only begun to fully appreciate the cosmetology of science, although satellite photos of celestial bodies have always been fascinating. I wonder what NASA will find?

I wonder how far off in the future it will be when we can send satellites to orbit planets in other solar systems. Perhaps we'll find "life." One thing is for sure, if this were to happen, our technology will have to advance by thousands of years. I don't think I'll live that long.

Yo mama's so fat, she's on both sides of the family.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  15:36:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
One thing is for sure, if this were to happen, our technology will have to advance by thousands of years. I don't think I'll live that long.

We have the technology to send a robotic mission to the nearest stars, it would just take a LONG (4-5 years to centari-proxima, I think, if you can accelerate the craft to almost lightspeed. Longer is your moving slower, and if you rev up that fast you'll need to be able to decel at the other end of the trip) time for them to get there, not to mention a much bigger rocket than required for sending stuff to our own solar system.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2004 :  21:05:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
http://ciclops.lpl.arizona.edu/view_event.php?id=5

http://ciclops.lpl.arizona.edu/view.php?id=213

http://ciclops.lpl.arizona.edu/view.php?id=218

wow.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2004 :  01:05:59   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
Wow is right! Saturn has always amazed me.

And then later, Huygens lands on Titan. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll get good pictures from the surface!)

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2004 :  23:32:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Chippewa

Wow is right! Saturn has always amazed me.

And then later, Huygens lands on Titan. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll get good pictures from the surface!)

That's something I'm looking forward to as well. And of course more detailed images of the rings.

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.