Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  07:45:54  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It's a state I am fond of and indeed, have family there, but......

But, what is it with you people?! Or at least, your Republican people?

I mean, shit, look at this:

quote:
One thing I've always respected about conservatives is their intellectual consistency. If they say something, they usually mean it and stand by it, which helps you predict where they will be on an issue.

That's why Keyes is getting off on a bad foot here, given the statement he made to Pat Buchanan on Fox News in March 2000 about suggestions he move to New York to run against Hillary Clinton.

"I deeply resent the destruction of federalism represented by Hillary Clinton's willingness to go into a state she doesn't even live in and pretend to represent people there, so I certainly wouldn't imitate it," Keyes said then.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/brown/cst-nws-brown05.html

C'mon, surely there must be at least one hardy soul native to the state and in the party willing to go against Obama. I can't believe you've got to hire a carpetbagger who won't have a prayer due mostly because he's a carpetbagger, and a backslid capetbagger at that.

So get your act together, IL Repubs. Time is getting short and Obama needs a good workout.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Paladin
Skeptic Friend

USA
100 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2004 :  17:18:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Paladin a Private Message
Hehe. Looks like the Repugs couldn't find anyone else stupid or masochistic enough to volunteer to be crushed by the Obama juggernaut.

Of course, in politics, anything's possible, but I think I can safely look forward to watching poor ole Alan get steamrolled.

Paladin
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2004 :  06:43:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I read an atricle the other day -- looked for it just now but can't find it -- that speculated that maybe they're trying to be crazy like a fox. Tha thought was that, while they know perfectly well that Keyes has no chance of winning, he can be counted upon to at least rough Obama up.

I do not fathom the reasoning behind this. It seems to me that it's time and money down the drain. I would not like to get into a verbal fight with either one of these guys, and a debate between them would be a grand show, but I don't see Obama getting hurt no matter how good an act Keyes put forth. I do see a lot of pissed-off people of both parties for trying such a futile flim-flam.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  06:30:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

It's a state I am fond of and indeed, have family there, but......

But, what is it with you people?! Or at least, your Republican people?

I mean, shit, look at this:

quote:
One thing I've always respected about conservatives is their intellectual consistency. If they say something, they usually mean it and stand by it, which helps you predict where they will be on an issue.

That's why Keyes is getting off on a bad foot here, given the statement he made to Pat Buchanan on Fox News in March 2000 about suggestions he move to New York to run against Hillary Clinton.

"I deeply resent the destruction of federalism represented by Hillary Clinton's willingness to go into a state she doesn't even live in and pretend to represent people there, so I certainly wouldn't imitate it," Keyes said then.

http://www.suntimes.com/output/brown/cst-nws-brown05.html

C'mon, surely there must be at least one hardy soul native to the state and in the party willing to go against Obama. I can't believe you've got to hire a carpetbagger who won't have a prayer due mostly because he's a carpetbagger, and a backslid capetbagger at that.

So get your act together, IL Repubs. Time is getting short and Obama needs a good workout.

Hi, I'm from Illinois. Let me tell you about the Republican wasteland here in the state.

Jim Ryan was the original candidate. He was running on a "family values" platform and moral superiority. Then his little "habit" popped up.

The next highest Republican contender was Jim Oberweis who promptly pissed off the Hispanic community by making broad and statistically unsupported statements concerning illegal aliens. (during his primary run)

The Republicans don't have the time to field a candidate who will have the name recognition or present a platform that will appeal to Democrats. So they picked Alan Keyes.

I expect him to lose. So do the Republicans. But they will have time to field another one soon.

The one-two punch of the Ryans (George and Jim), have really hurt the Republicans. They need time to recover. They were hoping that Jim Ryan would be a victory for them. They are treating George Ryan as the parriah he is. (What else do you call it when your own party is calling for you to resign over the licenses for bribes scandal?)

They were thinking about Judy Barr Topinka, but she has shot herself in the foot when she was actively bending the ears of the party leadership to select an Illinois native instead of importing a candidate.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Edited by - Valiant Dancer on 08/09/2004 06:31:50
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  07:43:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Oh dear! Val, it reads like they're imploding.

Is it just my overwrought imagination, or is there a sense of confused desperation throughout the party nation wide? From Cheney telling a respected, senior senator to 'go fuck himself' to rabid and obviously mendacious attacks on Kerry by Repub-supported, cheap thugs, it seem like the whole party is shaking.

And that ain't good. While I love to see poetic justice done, I do not want either party to be absolutly dominant. Perhaps the Republicans will someday get shed of their idiologs their hyprocrits and rejoin the rest of the country.

But what an election this is going to be!

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  03:12:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Four AM is not a good time for me. I go on line and find things like this:

quote:
It's a good thing Illinois Republicans finally found their Keyes, because somebody needs to drive that demolition derby vehicle of theirs.

Other than Jack Ryan, Mike Ditka, Jim Edgar, Bob Thomas, Jim Thompson, Jayne Thompson, Andy McKenna Jr., Ron Gidwitz, Gary Fencik, Steve Rauschenberger, Judy Baar Topinka, Ronnie "Woo-Woo" Wickers and that guy sitting next to you on the train, Alan Keyes was absolutely the GOP's top choice.

And of course, I've just got to share it..........

http://www.suntimes.com/output/roeper/cst-nws-roep09.html

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  14:52:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
We seriously need laws preventing people from running for congress in states they don't live in.... something like a 1 year minimum residency requirement would do the trick.

IL is getting screwed over so hard by NAFTA right now that very few people support the republicans.

I have about 6 family members who will be unemployed (and essentially enemployable) by September of this year because of the Maytag assembly plant being shipped to Mexico. My father has already lost his job of 35 years at Gates Rubber Co because they moved to Mexico. Both of those factories are/were located in Galesburg IL. Also, a few more of my family are losing jobs because of another company there in Galesburg closing... Butler Steel Co. Bought by some Australians to aquire the right to a specific process the company had patened... then just closed down everything in IL.

Now... take into account the secondary and tertiary impacts of three major companies closing and eliminating like 5000 direct jobs, 2-3k secondary jobs (like support and contract companies that work for the big companies) and the impact on the community of 20-30% of the population being suddenly unemployed.

IL is gonna vote for candidates who oppose outsourcing and moving production to ultra-cheap labor outside the country.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2004 :  07:25:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

We seriously need laws preventing people from running for congress in states they don't live in.... something like a 1 year minimum residency requirement would do the trick.

IL is getting screwed over so hard by NAFTA right now that very few people support the republicans.

I have about 6 family members who will be unemployed (and essentially enemployable) by September of this year because of the Maytag assembly plant being shipped to Mexico. My father has already lost his job of 35 years at Gates Rubber Co because they moved to Mexico. Both of those factories are/were located in Galesburg IL. Also, a few more of my family are losing jobs because of another company there in Galesburg closing... Butler Steel Co. Bought by some Australians to aquire the right to a specific process the company had patened... then just closed down everything in IL.

Now... take into account the secondary and tertiary impacts of three major companies closing and eliminating like 5000 direct jobs, 2-3k secondary jobs (like support and contract companies that work for the big companies) and the impact on the community of 20-30% of the population being suddenly unemployed.

IL is gonna vote for candidates who oppose outsourcing and moving production to ultra-cheap labor outside the country.

Definately, Galesburg is suffering from major BOHICA (Bend Over, Here It Comes Again) from NAFTA and the WTO.

No less than the Steel industry getting whacked in Cal City, most automakers being shuffled off overseas, and the US not persuing countries who have high tarriffs on imports while forcing us to drop ours in the WTO. He has also lifted the restrictions on imported IT workers. They used to be limited in the number of IT work visas. (S1 visas, I believe.)

I think Bush forgets that if you pander to the major corporations and ultra-wealthy, the little guy gets pissed. Especially when they are paying for it in lower wages, job losses, and higher prices.

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  01:30:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:

Isn't that what voting is for, deciding if you want the guy to represent you or not?
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  02:04:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Cheney, living in Texas at the time, have to scurry off to Wyoming like a bubonic gopher because he and Bush discovered, at the last minute, that the president and vice president couldn't be residents of the same state?

I don't have all that big a problem with carpetbagging, really. Indeed, in the Keyes case, I find it humorous and whaddahell, we're all Americans, here. It's not as if the IL Republicans drafted Mulla Omar (speaking of whom...., and would they?).

I think that this campaign just might put paid to any political asperations Keyes might harbor. Unless something momentous happens, he is going to be flayed, filleted, and fried like a catfish.

One hopes that Obama stays off small aircraft and is careful when opening his mail.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  08:53:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
I love the video of Keyes condemming Hillary for moving to NY and running for senate.... and him claiming that it's not something he would ever do. I hope they ream him a new one with that vid clip in IL.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  10:22:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Haha, yea, I got that on tape. You got that from The Daily Show, right?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2004 :  12:47:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
I saw it there first, yeah... lol (The Daily Show is awesome)

Saw it somewhere else later, one of the news channels.

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

AutomaticSlim

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  03:42:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send AutomaticSlim a Private Message

quote:
Hi, I'm from Illinois. Let me tell you about the Republican wasteland here in the state.

Jim Ryan was the original candidate. He was running on a "family values" platform and moral superiority. Then his little "habit" popped up.

Are you sure you're from Illinois? Jim Ryan is not involved in this election cycle. Jim Ryan was the attorney general for George Ryan in the previous admistration. I think you mean Jack Ryan. A few too many Ryan's here in Illinois, and they've all been terribly disappointing. It will be a cold day in hell before someone named "Ryan" gets elected to dog catcher in this state, let alone the US Senator.

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  05:58:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by AutomaticSlim

quote:

Are you sure you're from Illinois? Jim Ryan is not involved in this election cycle. Jim Ryan was the attorney general for George Ryan in the previous admistration. I think you mean Jack Ryan. A few too many Ryan's here in Illinois, and they've all been terribly disappointing. It will be a cold day in hell before someone named "Ryan" gets elected to dog catcher in this state, let alone the US Senator.

Sorry, sometimes they all blur together. It is Jack Ryan. I appologise for the error.

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 08/19/2004 :  11:05:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
It is Jack Ryan

Does anyone besides me wonder how sleaze like that guy can convince an incredibly beautiful woman like this http://www.jerioholics.com/htmls/magazines/maxim2002/maxim2002/1.html

to marry him?

Must be the money.....

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.