New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TG
Skeptic Friend

USA
121 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  09:50:13  Show Profile Send TG a Private Message
For those of you who remember Johnpaul Slater (a former frequent poster in the Religion forum, and one who's sorely missed, except by those who were ruthlessly cut down to size), here's an interesting article on Koko that mentions him.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/08/08/national2112EDT0559.DTL

Edited by - TG on 08/09/2004 10:23:56

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  10:00:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
You beat me to it! It was a great article and a great story.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  10:16:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TG

For those of you who remember Johnpaul Slater (a former frequent poster in the Religion forum, and one who's absence is sorely missed, except by those who were ruthlessly cut down to size), here's an interesting article on Koko that mentions him.
http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/news/archive/2004/08/08/national2112EDT0559.DTL

Great story. I found it particularly entertaining when the lady in the red dress presented her business card ..... to a gorilla. Koko seemed to find it tasty, though.

Koko can definately articulate rudimentary needs and some concepts, but I seriously doubt she would be able to call someone on the phone for services.

I remember the story in which she lost All Ball, her cat.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  10:27:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Here is the first photo of Slater I found on the web site of The Gorilla Foundation. Actually, it appears to be the only mention of him on the whole site.

The current Koko story has been all over CNN today.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Wulfstan

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2004 :  21:16:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Wulfstan a Private Message
quote:
Valiant Dancer:
Great story. I found it particularly entertaining when the lady in the red dress presented her business card ..... to a gorilla. Koko seemed to find it tasty, though.

I thought that was bizarre--definitely belongs in the WTFWYT category. I'd like to think Koko demonstrated how silly that gesture was.

Nice story. Koko's really had everyone wrapped around her finger.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/10/2004 :  01:47:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It's good to know that Slater's still alive. I've wondered what became of him -- a thought: he would have enjoyed verlch.

I have long been a fan of Koko, although it's been some time since I've read about her. Good article.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds.