General Discussion
 New... my introduction
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Count Deonic

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  01:02:10  Show Profile  Visit Count Deonic's Homepage  Send Count Deonic an AOL message Send Count Deonic a Private Message
Greetings everyone. I, as you know, am new to this board. I decided to introduce myself to you on here before I started posting elsewhere.

First off, I'm 18 years old and live in Atlanta, Georgia. I'm out of high school and am hoping to go to college sometime either in the spring or fall of next year. I'm still not sure what I'll be majoring in yet, but it's looking like it may be something in criminal justice or something in the wide field of communications.

I was raised Christian my entire life, but a group of events have led me off that path onto the one I travel now. I still believe in God, etc... I'm simply not living it. I don't claim to be Christian anymore, because I know that I'm not. I had grown fed up with people who claimed they were men and women for Christ, but would go out and live the exact opposite of who they claimed to be. I went to a Baptist church, and it's sad to say that most of the people there were like that in one fashion or another. They also had the same typical sterotypes that many so called Christians have about other religions- that they're all evil. I'll agree that Satanism is evil, but things such as Wiccan, Islam, Buddism, etc are in no way evil. I had grown tired of their ignorance and hypocrisy and left the church.

I may return one day in the future to Christianity, but until then I just hang out in this "void" between it all.

I've got a pretty good knowledge of Christianity (it's what happens when you used to go to a Christian school, heh) and I have a growing knowledge in matters relating to the occult. I'm a fairly open-minded person and like to think outside the box. I'm open to any questions, debates, or whatever anybody wants to talk about whether relating to the above mentioned topics or anything else.

-Deonic

BTW- If you hadn't noticed, I've edited this thing twice now. It's 4:28 am right now while I'm writing this... I think that explains the edits right there, heh.

Edited by - Count Deonic on 08/18/2004 01:30:30

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  02:39:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Howdy Count Deonic (interesting handle, that) and welcome to SFN!

Looking forward to your input.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  02:51:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Hey, I edit any time of the day or night. That's how you reach perfection. Be careful talking to me, though, I've been known to profess atheism as a healthier way of life.

I never really introduced myself so allow me to do so now. Age doesn't matter when you are young at heart. I am a nurse practitioner. I have been in private practice, (a nurse entrepreneur), for 14 years taking care of folks exposed to infectious diseases through their work.

I find so many people believe in junk medicine and don't understand that there is a way to tell the difference. So that's my mission, make the world a better place through science.

In the mean time I love exploring anything and everything. I'll read it or go see it if it is something new. I come to the web because there just aren't many people in my vicinity that have similar interests. Except kids and dogs.

I have a wonderful 15 year old son who does nothing but sit in front of the TV, computer or one of his 6 or 8 game consoles. But I'm not worried about him because I have instilled a solid science foundation in his soul which I just know will kick in one of these days.

I also have two little black puppies, (1/2 poodle and 1/2 terrier). Between the dogs, current politics, and my son, I do interact with the neighbors and other kids' moms and dads. But my brainy side wants more out of a discussion besides the latest school concerns.

Glad to meet you, Deonic.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 08/18/2004 02:53:47
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  06:07:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
Count, welcome to the SFN. There is nothing wrong with editing a post to correct spelling, grammar, punctuation, context, facts, or opinions. Heck, I do it enough times.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  06:19:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
Hey, Count. Thanks for the intorduction, and welcome to the SFN. You'll find all types here, and a wide range of discussion topics (as I'm sure you've already seen).

As has been noted, don't worry about having to edit your posts-- I think most of us find mistakes in our original posts that merit fixing. Indeed, it's always refreshing to read posts from people who actually have some skills in writing. How often have we seen the post that fails to follow any of the basic grammar rules?!?

And finally, don't worry too much about college majors. I and many of my friends changed majors several times over our college careers, and while I'm still following a career path that's in line with my major (for now, anyways), I know plenty of other people doing things that are worlds away from their original major. Just pick a major that sounds interesting and you'll do fine!
Go to Top of Page

Kil
Evil Skeptic

USA
13476 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  06:55:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Kil's Homepage  Send Kil an AOL message  Send Kil a Yahoo! Message Send Kil a Private Message
Welcome to SFN! As for editing, my spelling is so bad some call it kilbonics...

Uncertainty may make you uncomfortable. Certainty makes you ridiculous.

Why not question something for a change?

Genetic Literacy Project
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  15:31:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Greetings! I hope you will enjoy your stay here!

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  16:38:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Welcome.

Here's a good quiz for those that know their Bible.

http://ffrf.org/bquiz.html

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  16:38:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Hey Count,

I'd welcome you as well, but I'm pretty much a newcomer myself. I really didn't bother to introduce myself to these nice folks, figuring the best way to get that across was simply to start posting.

The worst part about re-editing is when you find an error after someone has already quoted the offending passage. Doh! I'll often still correct the original and just hope that others miss it in the reply. :)

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 08/18/2004 16:39:18
Go to Top of Page

Count Deonic

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 08/18/2004 :  20:54:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Count Deonic's Homepage  Send Count Deonic an AOL message Send Count Deonic a Private Message
Thanks for the warm greetings everyone. It's nice to meet you all and I look foward to talking with you more in the future.
Go to Top of Page

Wulfstan

USA
42 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  12:15:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Wulfstan a Private Message
quote:
I've got a pretty good knowledge of Christianity (it's what happens when you used to go to a Christian school, heh) and I have a growing knowledge in matters relating to the occult. I'm a fairly open-minded person and like to think outside the box. I'm open to any questions, debates, or whatever anybody wants to talk about whether relating to the above mentioned topics or anything else.

Hi Count Deonic,

Welcome! That was an admirable and honest introduction and it's a great trait to keep an open mind and challenge what you've been taught for so many years. Whatever path you choose in life, at least it won't be a blind one accepted at face value. I have several friends who believe in God, but are against organized religion, and feel much of the hypocrisy of church-goers. They keep their religion to themselves and don't pay mind to what others choose to believe in nor think less of others who don't believe as they do: what they consider God isn't necessarily the God described in the Bible or in other religions and they don't push their beliefs on others. Many men I've dated have believed in God or a god, even though I'm an ardent atheist, so there are all these different degrees of belief, which is fine.

I'm fairly new too, though I tend to post long posts versus quantity (gotta work on that). I never introduced myself, because, to be honest, in my limited forum experience I didn't know that was the protocol; I've only posted on two boards over the last year and the first one I just dove into. I have basically abandoned my own board because of the lack of reason and mature arguments. People here appear to be reasonable and decent people--at least those regulars. (Did Coberst go away for good, btw?) As the saying goes, "You can't soar with the eagles, if you run with the turkeys." Our board had gotten so nasty that I think it was rubbing off into my personal life. Much better to find people who can challenge each other with a degree of respect.

I live in Texas and work in a conservative industry, thus I am surrounded every day by people who have very different beliefs and general interests and very few people to talk to (it's pointless to talk politics at work and certainly religion). My family and friends are all over the country and world, thus I'm in this sort of self-imposed exile here. The Internet has provided an outlet to others with similar values and I even visited two of our board members, one being in Ringgold, Georgia. So, I flew into Atlanta not long ago. Well, Ringgold was an experience!

I've got two cats, one being Grendel (named after the monster in Beowulf) and the other Slinky, after the toy. I've always named my cats after their personalities became apparent. Grendel was easy--she really was a monster and Old English was my specialty (a decidedly dead and esoteric subject, but oh well). Hence, my name Wulfstan and concurrent nics on other boards.

I'd like to tell my story of how I came to be an atheist, which really happened at five years old, but that probably belongs in the religion thread some other time. I was raised Greek Orthodox and went to a Catholic high school. Freshman year, a very open-minded teacher allowed me to argue my way through my required religion class, which that year was about the nuts and bolts of Catholicism (I had to argue every point I disagreed with and instead of writing papers on Sunday's mass at church, I had to pick something from the Bible and write about it). I did, but it got tiresome, so in the 2nd and 3rd year, I just told them what they wanted to hear. Not to sound like a braggart, but I did get A's in all my religion classes, for what it's worth.

That teacher from freshman year said to me one day, "In ten years, I don't care where you are, if you believe in God I want you to call me and tell me." She was sure I was in some rebellious stage. Well, ten years came, I didn't believe, so I didn't call. But I should have anyway just to say "hi" and thank her for not treating me like some pariah. Maybe I'll try to find her when I go back home soon.

BTW, what's "Count Deonic" all about?

(See brevity and I had an argument and I won )

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  12:54:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
I'll agree that Satanism is evil

Have you looked into what Satanists actually believe? I understand the definition does seem to lead to that they worship the Satan that is in the Christian Bible, so if you have, it is a very understandable mistake (even one that I have made). There are different types of Satanists, but very few actually worship Satan as it is said in the Christian Bible:

quote:
It is important to realize that the Satan that they recognize has few if any points of similarity with the historical Muslim or Christian concept of Satan. The Satanists' concept of Satan is pre-Christian, and derived from the Pagan image of power, virility, sexuality and sensuality. To almost religious Satanists, Satan is a force of nature, not a living quasi-deity. Their Satan has nothing to do with Hell, demons, pitchforks, sadistic torture, buying people's souls, demonic possession, performing miracles, human sacrifices, cannibalism, and profoundly evil deeds.

Might be something you might want to take a look at (especially before you think its evil).

http://www.religioustolerance.org/satanism.htm

quote:
Many men I've dated have believed in God or a god, even though I'm an ardent atheist, so there are all these different degrees of belief, which is fine.

What is really horrible however is when the Catholic Church teaches its followers that they will go to Hell if they date an atheist, something which I am sad to say I learned from personal experience.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 08/22/2004 12:56:58
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  06:15:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky
What is really horrible however is when the Catholic Church teaches its followers that they will go to Hell if they date an atheist, something which I am sad to say I learned from personal experience.

Now, that is evil.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  07:50:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Now, that is evil.

And ambiguous. (The personal experience part)

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.45 seconds.