Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  11:29:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:
First of all, I am shocked (SHOCKED) that you are even curious on whether or not an assertation made by an ASTROLOGIST is scientific.

This is new "evidence". Whenever new evidence comes along, you must reconsider a claim, not matter how absurd.

Ah, but is it when the source is suspect?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  12:14:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Warning! Unsolicited Hitler comparison!

Is evidence of the Jewish global conspiracy valid if it comes from Hitler? Lame I know.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  12:29:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

Are you saying that we should ignore any claim of evidence when presented by astrologists because it came from people who want to show that their claim is true? I agree, we must skeptically consider the evidence, repeat the experiments with different scientists etc, but to not consider it at all? Thats just wrong.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  12:32:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:

quote:

Are you saying that we should ignore any claim of evidence when presented by astrologists because it came from people who want to show that their claim is true? I agree, we must skeptically consider the evidence, repeat the experiments with different scientists etc, but to not consider it at all? Thats just wrong.

When it comes without source cites, yep.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

SciFi Chick
Skeptic Friend

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  12:43:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send SciFi Chick a Private Message
quote:

quote:

It's not any more wrong than mistrusting creationists. Changing your vocabulary to use words like Intelligent Design science, does not make something scientific.

"There is no 'I' in TEAM, but there is an 'M' and an 'E'." -Carson

"Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud."
-Sophocles
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  14:33:23   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:

It's not any more wrong than mistrusting creationists. Changing your vocabulary to use words like Intelligent Design science, does not make something scientific.

Yes, but you can only come to that conclusion after looking into what ID is. Thats all I'm saying, that we should look into this.

quote:
When it comes without source cites, yep.

Its a news article, not a scientific one. Its not going to have sources and thats understandable. If you want sources, you need to get a biological journal or something of the sort.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  00:30:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
You've all confused me here. Are we talking about the article in the original post or the news account or something else?

The news account stupidly brought up astrology when they heard the terms 'correlated to birth month'. Astrology was NEVER really related to the research at all.

And as far as claims by astrologers or Hitler, if the evidence is valid there's no reason not to look at it. If the conclusions drawn by the presenter are not supported by the evidence then that is the issue, not the presenter's background. Now if the presenter's conclusions are being questioned and they believe the evidence does support the conclusion, the presenter's credentials might be relevant.

Astrologer finds more disease X in persons born in April.
Astrologer concludes the planets were the determining factor.
Evidence is confirmed.
Conclusion is not.
Everyone sees your point and agrees conclusion is faulty.
Except Steve who thinks the astrologer's conclusion is credible.
Astrologer's credentials and the lack of validity of astrology are presented to show Steve why you are smart and he is dumb.
Steve sees your point and the world is now a better place.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.