Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  07:07:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
You'll howl at this one, then.

Man Booked For DUI, Decapitation
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/08/30/national/main639501.shtml
CBS News Online

(AP) A drunken driver ran off the road and sideswiped a telephone-pole support wire, decapitating his best friend, who was hanging out the passenger window, police say.

John Kemper Hutcherson, 21, then drove 12 miles back to his suburban Atlanta home early Sunday and went to sleep in his bloody clothes, leaving the headless body in the truck, police said.

A neighbor walking with his baby daughter Sunday discovered 23-year-old Francis Daniel Brohm's headless corpse in the parked truck and called authorities. The head was found in the bushes near the pole.

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Edited by - Gorgo on 08/31/2004 07:08:47
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  08:16:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Do I hear laughter from Darwin's grave? Yes, yes I think I do. The antics in the gene pool's shallow end must amuse his shade even more than they do ourselves. As pittable as they are.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/31/2004 :  12:50:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
And:

quote:

(Waterbury-AP, Aug. 30, 2004 7:11 AM) _ A 47-year-old Waterbury man has died despite efforts by firefighters to try to get the 600-pound man out of his bedroom.

Librio Ricci died yesterday after a two-hour rescue effort.

Firefighters had been called to his home after getting a report of a man having difficulty breathing.

http://www.wtnh.com/Global/story.asp?s=2233245

T'would appear that it's not all that uncommon.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  04:12:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
Sorry, I don't buy it. In the contact I've had through First Responder and ERT trainining I'm very familiar with stories about people that become too large, or just too damned lazy to move out of their romms, but they still move. Having skin, or even sores fuse to a textile would require a number of motionless days for bed sores and months for somewhat healthy skin.

Local Emergency Response Teams have had to go to extremes to get people to hospitals, including a lot of very nasty work involving human waste and diseased flesh, but actually stuck in a couch? For a woman to maintain nearly 500 lbs. requires a huge amount of food, and therefore a huge amount of waste. Unless the woman was on her stomach bent over the arm, the waste build up would engulf her in six years, unless someone moved her body even a little to clean up.

Jeez, how could the husband put up with this without having the woman comitted years ago?

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  06:21:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
This is something I don't know much about, but wouldn't it be possible that her skin was sort of 'glued', for lack of a better word, to the couch by congealed feces?

And perhaps the guy came in with a shovel, once in a while. I think that he ought to have his head checked out as well.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Tim
SFN Regular

USA
775 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  13:20:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Tim a Private Message
quote:
And perhaps the guy came in with a shovel, once in a while. I think that he ought to have his head checked out as well.
Yeah, I'd say. The guy would have to have a cast iron stomach to put up with this--Plus, about a thousand loose screws!

I still don't see how someone, even a leviathon of a person could stay absoluely still. I mean, with all the infections, she'd have to scratch her...ah, y'all get the idea. I'm getting nauseous. Later...

"We got an issue in America. Too many good docs are gettin' out of business. Too many OB/GYNs aren't able to practice their -- their love with women all across this country." Dubya in Poplar Bluff, Missouri, 9/6/2004
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  16:58:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
This is something I don't know much about, but wouldn't it be possible that her skin was sort of 'glued', for lack of a better word, to the couch by congealed feces?

Feces contains degestive enzimes. Stuff that will cause skin to breakdown if exposed long enough. Add in the pressure from remaining immobile for even one day, and your looking at some massive wounds. From a solid week of immobility alone you would have bone deep ulcers. Not to mention tha trauma to muscle tissue which could lead to several other fatally acute problems.

It is impossible to lay in one position long enough to have your skin grow around the fabric of a couch. The resultant skin breakdown from the combination of feces and pressure would cause a massive infection. As I may have mentioned before, enteric bacteria have a high mortality rate when they are the cause of sepsis.

Nobody could sit on a couch, in the same spot, for that long and still live.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2004 :  18:41:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

quote:

Feces contains degestive enzimes. Stuff that will cause skin to breakdown if exposed long enough. Add in the pressure from remaining immobile for even one day, and your looking at some massive wounds. From a solid week of immobility alone you would have bone deep ulcers. Not to mention tha trauma to muscle tissue which could lead to several other fatally acute problems.

It is impossible to lay in one position long enough to have your skin grow around the fabric of a couch. The resultant skin breakdown from the combination of feces and pressure would cause a massive infection. As I may have mentioned before, enteric bacteria have a high mortality rate when they are the cause of sepsis.

Nobody could sit on a couch, in the same spot, for that long and still live.

'K, I think I see. I wonder what the real story is.

Could it be that this sad woman, weighing in at a 1/4 ton, just gave it up and fell on the couch never to get up again and her feces stuck her there in only a few weeks or less? And the time story is the usual crap?

In any event, hughly obese people being rescued seem to be turning up more commonly, these days.

Edited to add: pun not intended, but it's a pretty good one.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 09/01/2004 18:52:44
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.