Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/21/2004 :  10:23:04  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/104-08122004-346938.html

quote:
BRIELLE, N.J. - An 8-year-old girl who suffers from a rare digestive disorder and cannot consume wheat has had her first Holy Communion declared invalid because the wafer contained none, violating Catholic doctrine.

No comment needed....

I would also like to open this topic to any other abusrd stories about the Church, such as this one here.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2004 :  14:35:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
And you judge for what reason? Vanity maybe?

What came first the chicken or the egg?

How do plants exist without bugs in the soil, and bugs in the soil without plants producing oxygen?

There are no atheists in foxholes

Underlying the evolutionary theory is not just the classic "stuff" of science — conclusions arrived at through prolonged observation and experimentation. Evolution is first an atheistic, materialistic world view. In other words, the primary reason for its acceptance has little to do with the evidence for or against it. Evolution is accepted because men are atheists by faith and thus interpret the evidence to cor-respond to their naturalistic philosophy.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. II Timothy 4:3,4

II Thess. 2:11 And for this cause God shall
send them strong delusion, that they should believe a lie:

You can not see the 'wind', but you can see its effect!!!!

Evolution was caused by genetic mistakes at each stage?

Radical Evolution has 500 million years to find fossils of fictional drawings of (hard core)missing links, yet they find none.

We have not seen such moral darkness since the dark ages, coencides with
teaching evolution in schools. (Moral darkness)

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12.

"Thus, many scientists embracing naturalism find themselves in the seeming dilemma recently articulated by biochemist Franklin Harold: "We should reject, as a matter of principle, the substitution of intelligent design for the dialogue of chance and necessity [i.e., Darwinian evolution]; but we must concede that there are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical system, only a variety of wishful speculations."
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2004 :  15:06:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by verlch

Hardly vanity. It is our experience that Church doctrines are full of shit!

What kind of holy Son of God is Jesus if non-gluten bread can not Transubstantiate to his flesh during communion?

God is supposed to be omnipotent, surely transubstantiation should be a piece of cake... It's narrowminded bigotry to deny that girl the validity of her communion, especially since God allowed her to be inflicted with such a disease in the first place.

Edit: What does it matter to you anyway what we think about Catholics? It's not like they are real Christians anyway...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Edited by - Dr. Mabuse on 09/18/2004 15:08:22
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2004 :  00:02:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Verlch, are you now supporting the Catholic Church's interpretation of God's will or do you think they may have it wrong? It's the church that decided wheat was needed. In fact, where in the Bible does it even say that particular Catholic ritual is required? The Catholics came up with these rituals well after anything was written in the New Testament if I am not mistaken.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2004 :  03:57:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

Naw, not vanity. Sanity, actually. I find it incomprehensible that the Catholic Church could do something so stupid. But then, all churches, and indeed all religions, have a lot of superstitious silliness in their teachings. And thus do a lot of stupid things.

Fer 'xample; Father Damion, who succored the lepers at Molokai, had his corpse disenterred by the church from the leper's cemetary on the island and taken to France, if memory serves (it's been a while since I wrote on Damion; I can look it up, if asked) to be buried in consecrated ground.

Here's another: whtch hunts are becoming more popular every year, all around the world. Innocent people are being killed over some idiot passage in a book, or out of plain, old superstition (same thing).

And how 'bout them snake-handlers? I've read that we've lost another (other than that unfortunate lady in Ohio, who wasn't praying at the time), a short while ago. Freakin' amatures.

And then there is everbody's favorite religious dingbat, the irrepressable ex-judge Roy Moore, he of the famous Roy's Rock. I'm sure we all know his story. It's almost as good as Fred Phelps'.

The list is endless and and would be funny if it weren't so reptitive.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2004 :  16:26:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
Verlch, are you now supporting the Catholic Church's interpretation of God's will or do you think they may have it wrong? It's the church that decided wheat was needed. In fact, where in the Bible does it even say that particular Catholic ritual is required? The Catholics came up with these rituals well after anything was written in the New Testament if I am not mistaken.

I have a feeling he just didn't care to read the actual story.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  22:56:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:

What kind of holy Son of God is Jesus if non-gluten bread can not Transubstantiate to his flesh during communion?

God is supposed to be omnipotent, surely transubstantiation should be a piece of cake... It's narrowminded bigotry to deny that girl the validity of her communion, especially since God allowed her to be inflicted with such a disease in the first place.

Edit: What does it matter to you anyway what we think about Catholics? It's not like they are real Christians anyway...

God didnt' make Lucifer rebel in heaven or eve to eat the fruit. How is it Gods' fault that she is ill. We are all going to die someday, so what does it matter if it is on Sunday Monday or Tuesday for that matter?

How do plants exist without bugs in the soil, and bugs in the soil without plants producing oxygen?

Underlying the evolutionary theory is not just the classic "stuff" of science — conclusions arrived at through prolonged observation and experimentation. Evolution is first an atheistic, materialistic world view. In other words, the primary reason for its acceptance has little to do with the evidence for or against it. Evolution is accepted because men are atheists by faith and thus interpret the evidence to cor-respond to their naturalistic philosophy.

For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables. II Timothy 4:3,4

Radical Evolution has 500 million years to find fossils of fictional drawings of (hard core)missing links, yet they find none.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places, EPH 6:12.

"Thus, many scientists embracing naturalism find themselves in the seeming dilemma recently articulated by biochemist Franklin Harold: "We should reject, as a matter of principle, the substitution of intelligent design for the dialogue of chance and necessity [i.e., Darwinian evolution]; but we must concede that there are presently no detailed Darwinian accounts of the evolution of any biochemical system, only a variety of wishful speculations."
Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  23:00:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

quote:

Who are you to judge, you would rather relate yourself to a monkey, than to believe you, as a human have purpose on the planet...

Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  02:08:47   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

Who are you to judge, you would rather relate yourself to a monkey, than to believe you, as a human have purpose on the planet...

I do indeed have a purpose on this planet, or at least I used to. That purpose, the same as everyone's, is to fufill my evolutionary role to contribute to the genes of my species. This I have done. And as it is unlikely that I'll do so again however many breeding opportunities I get, evolution is through with me.

By the bye, did you know that 'Lucifer' means 'Light'? And that kitchen matches used to be called 'lucifers'?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  02:21:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
I do indeed have a purpose on this planet, or at least I used to. That purpose, the same as everyone's, is to fufill my evolutionary role to contribute to the genes of my species. This I have done. And as it is unlikely that I'll do so again however many breeding opportunities I get, evolution is through with me.
I plan to stick around even after I'm done breeding, taking care of my offspring and other relatives of my species, genus, family, order,class, phylum and kingdom. (Well maybe even those of other kingdoms as well.)

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  04:58:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
By the bye, did you know that 'Lucifer' means 'Light'? And that kitchen matches used to be called 'lucifers'?

Did you know that the dutch word for kitchen match actually still is lucifer (plural: lucifers). Yes, we are truly diabolical.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  11:13:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

quote:

Who cares, Catholics, many are good people. Longing for God and doing His will. The devil would be more than happy to take a young child from this world and blame it on your maker. That is why he is called the accuser of the brethren. Day and night he tells Angels of God everything we do in the flesh. Asks why are you trying to save this 'trash'. Evolution is another theif in the night, dressed as harmless science, will lull you to sleep and take the only thing that matters, your soul.

Go to Top of Page

verlch
SFN Regular

781 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  11:18:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send verlch an AOL message Send verlch a Private Message
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Why don't you just swear alligence to Lucis Ordos, and be a happy man.

Do you ever wonder why Apple computer has a bite taken out of an apple? Eve perhaps. Or why Chrysler has all those ancient egyptian symbols used on cars and trucks, only to also have a Rams head? Toyota could have an eye, and a horned beast if you look at it. There is sybolism all over this planet. Does anyone not see it, or it would be death to who ever agreed with me???

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  12:02:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Verlch, Please provide evidence that souls exist. Im dying to see it.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  12:34:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I am happy as I am. I see no reason to swear allegence to some spiritual (read: 'fictional') entity, be it god or devil.

quote:
Do you ever wonder why Apple computer has a bite taken out of an apple? Eve perhaps. Or why Chrysler has all those ancient egyptian symbols used on cars and trucks, only to also have a Rams head? Toyota could have an eye, and a horned beast if you look at it. There is sybolism all over this planet. Does anyone not see it, or it would be death to who ever agreed with me???

What does this have to do with anything? Are you dropping acid? Don't you realize that symbolism only has relevence in the eye of the believer? And that mere belief does not put forth truth?

When I look at these things, that is, when I bother to look at them, all I see is some silly logo that has no meaning beyond identifying the products they're rivited to.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  12:36:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
verlch wrote:
quote:
Does anyone not see it, or it would be death to who ever agreed with me???
Yeah, the symbols are pretty obvious. They just don't mean what you think they mean. Rams go around knocking heads all the time. They're very sturdy animals. "Dodge trucks are ram tough." The ram symbol on those trucks has nothing to do with any religion. The idea that it does is paranoid.

Sometimes, a monument is just a monument, and not a giant penis. That you, verlch, see tall pointy monuments as huge erections says more about you than it does about the monument.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.58 seconds.