R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  15:31:07  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
http://www.nylawyer.com/news/04/08/081904i.html

Sayeth the reverend:

quote:
"We want to infiltrate the culture with men and women of God who are skilled in the legal profession,"

What could be worse than crossing a lawyer and a fundie?

Good quote, though, from Joe Conn, a spokesman for Americans United for Separation of Church and State:

quote:
"When Falwell talks about using the legal system to advance his personal religious beliefs, I get a whiff of the Taliban,"

Couldn't have said it better myself.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  15:49:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
"There is a strong need for this," said Green, who believes many of his colleagues take sides on abortion and genetic engineering without first considering what is morally right.

They should change the last three words of that to "the Bible tells you think".

I am not against the school really. I feel we must allow those who disagree with us the same freedom of speech that we demand from them. They have a right to make their case. Luckily, the courts have sided with us and the 1st Amendment in the past, and I see no reason for that to change in the future.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  17:01:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
Ricky wrote:

quote:
I feel we must allow those who disagree with us the same freedom of speech that we demand from them. They have a right to make their case.

I certainly agree with their right to have a law school. Its just seems to be a little oxymoronic. After all, the legal system is supposed to be neutral on the question of religious beliefs (the Roy Moores of the world notwithstanding). By that, I mean that the courts should uphold your right to practice whatever religion you want (assuming that practice violates no other laws), but not endorse the views of any faith when it comes to legal matters. To start a law school with the express purpose of infiltrating this (ideally) neutral system in order to remove its neutrality, shows me that they just don't get it. Its a little like saying that I'm going to start an athiest seminary to "infiltrate the culture with men and women of athiesm who are skilled in the religious profession"

It seems that it is this very neutrality on religious matters that they find threatening, even though it protects them from getting run over if the majority some day turns out to be some other brand of religion. A neutral court doesn't care what the bible, koran, torah, or any other self-proclaimed word of god, has to say about legal matters. I can only hope that it stays that way.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  18:25:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Wow, didn't quite look at it like that before. But then again, people like Falwell think that this is a Christian Nation and only Christian, and that the Constitution supports that position.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 08/22/2004 18:27:53
Go to Top of Page

satans_mom
Skeptic Friend

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2004 :  20:15:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send satans_mom an AOL message  Send satans_mom a Yahoo! Message Send satans_mom a Private Message
It seems like such a mess to me. Of course, I wouldn't support a lawyer devout to a religious faith, because of the opposition of seperation of church and state and the bias that may come with being Christian. But it's almost as if there is no real solution to a problem like this, and like most of the government, it's all highly complicated, although nothing of this size can really be cut and dry. I suppose we can do the best we can, but I'm not so sure what that would be.

Would preventing a lawyer from his practice due to his religious beliefs be bias? As long as it doesn't interfere with the judicial system, but it's hard to tell.

Yo mama's so fat, she's on both sides of the family.

Go to Top of Page

Robb
SFN Regular

USA
1223 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2004 :  13:17:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Robb a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by satans_mom

Would preventing a lawyer from his practice due to his religious beliefs be bias? As long as it doesn't interfere with the judicial system, but it's hard to tell.

I think it is unconstitutional from the 1st amendment:

quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof

I don't think you can prohibit a lawyers excercise of religion. This would be the same as saying no elected official can have a religious belief. I don't think you have anything to worry about. If the Supreme Court makes decisions like it has for the last 20 years or so, we won't have any laws based on religion.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.