Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  21:52:07  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
Hey guys, I am t.k. smith. I am new and am interested in reading some information at this site. I am a skeptic, though I take a few unpopular stands, and thus get attacked a lot.

Either way, I do love to read information, so I thought this site had some information to offer. Please do give me a while to figure this all out, as it is a little odd.

My av isn't working ... hmmm ... Anyhow, you guys have a lot of stuff which I am sure will be some good reading.

Somethings about me:
I am a student at Texas Tech University, majoring in Journalism and Biology.
I am the editor in chief of a humorous satiric newsletter called The Skeptic Times.
I love reading information by everyone and learning, obviously.
I love to work out

take care,
tk

Edited by - tkster on 08/24/2004 21:58:17

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  22:28:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
(Psssst, author of www.skeptictimes.com)

Welcome to the forum tk, it will be interesting in carrying on our converstations in a different type of ring.

Edit: But I warn you, there are many skeptics here greater than I. If you do not wish to back your statements such as in the past, I rather suggest you don't post them.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 08/24/2004 23:06:19
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2004 :  22:55:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Million Dollar Offer huh? prove you have a million dollars! Man, I am still cracking up over that. Just goes to show you they don't intend to pay no matter what. First the offer is for a textbook theory of evolution like such a thing exists.
quote:
1. You can not set up an experiment to prove any of this.

Someone lived downwind from Jerry Garcia! You can't prove it. We won't let you. Don't sprain your wrist patting yourself on the back. I will break of now so the more eloquent can chime in but meeting a million dollar offer with a million dollar offer is a joke when one of you doesn't have a pot to piss in.

Admit it. You don't have a million dollars! You don't have access to a million dollars! Your offer is a fake and you are bluffing. Nice try. Is honesty too much to expect? Is that what Jesus would do? Is that what your mother taught you?

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  01:36:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tkster

Hey guys, I am t.k. smith. ....I am the editor in chief of a humorous satiric newsletter called The Skeptic Times.
.........tk

Hey, tk...nice to meet you.

Humorous satire? Is that what the skeptic times is? I thought it was serious religious dogma. Now I don't get it.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  02:46:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Oh dear! Did I just hear someone start up the rusty chainsaw?

quote:
Argument One: Evolution is universally accepted by scientists.
This is a lie. According to the New York Times, 45% of American scientists don't accept Darwinian Evolution. Of course, what evolutionists have done is say, "anyone who doesn't accept evolution is not a scientist." I'd like to point out the obvious: Evolutionists Do Not Decide What Is Science and What Is Not Science. If there is one thing that my short life has taught me it is that not everyone will always agree on everything. Some scientists will accept on thing, and others will accept another. Many scientists taught for 2000 years that big rocks fell faster than little rocks.
Another thing I have also learned shortly is that many scientists don't accept Evolution, but know that by voicing their opinion against it, they will be shunned. This has little to do with how science works, and more how a religious cult operates.
The fact that Evolutionists use this argument shows they know nothing about science, but a lot about peer pressure. Oh, it also shows that Evolutionists lie.

From Talk Orgins, a site which I suggest one study before making rash statements about the Theory of Evolution:

http://www.talkorigins.org/

quote:
Evolution is a vital, well-supported, unifying principle of the biological sciences, and the scientific evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of the idea that all living things share a common ancestry. Although there are legitimate debates about the patterns and processes of evolution, there is no serious scientific doubt that evolution occurred or that natural selection is a major mechanism in its occurrence. It is scientifically inappropriate and pedagogically irresponsible for creationist pseudoscience, including but not limited to "intelligent design," to be introduced into the science curricula of our nation's public schools.

The link below will take you to Project Steve, a humorous but accurate listing of scientists who accept the ToE and are named Steve. Why this apparently pointless excersize was done is explained on the page.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/steve/

And I welcome thee, O ye seeker of knowledge. May ye find here that for which ye inquire.

Edited: All of the usual for this early in the morning.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 08/25/2004 02:58:07
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  03:57:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I'd like to point out to our new friend that he fails to understand exactly what the ToE is all about.

quote:
Challenge One:
It is quite common in today's world to see people offering money for one thing or another. It is not common, however, for someone to be offering a financial reward to a religious idea. I am offering a million dollars to anyone who can scientifically prove the textbook theory of evolution. When I say "textbook" I am referring to the following:

1. The Universe came from nothing without the work of a supernatural force.
2. All life originated from non-living matter.
3. All plants and all animals have one common ancestor.

As has been stated ad nauseum, the ToE says nothing about origins, therefore the first two examples are bogus and not worth pursuing. The third is correct.

This rather reminds me of Hovind's silly, little challenge.

I'd suggest a reading on 'abiogenesis' and the 'Big Bang Theory', then revise the challenge accordingly.

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  06:07:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
tk your site says:
quote:
You must disprove tk's Argument of Design without any design. tk's Argument of Design is the following:

Computers, cars, streets, buildings, trains, etc have all been built. There is nothing in the Universe that would indicate blind chance as a "maker" of anything. Thus since we all see designed materials and nothing else to our knowledge, the universe must have been designed by a Creator.

Hurricane Charlie was cleary a very intricate and well orginized weather system. I don't know if you realize it but a hurricane is essentially a huge engine. Clearly (according to you) this could not just happen by chance. It MUST have been built by someone. Humans can build computers but not something as large or COMPLICATED as a hurricane. So this hurricane was built by some psycho bent on death and destruction. I figure it was either God or aliens. Which of these 2 capricious phsycos do you think it was?

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  06:51:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
quote:
As has been stated ad nauseum, the ToE says nothing about origins, therefore the first two examples are bogus and not worth pursuing. The third is correct.

I'd suggest a reading on 'abiogenesis' and the 'Big Bang Theory', then revise the challenge accordingly.

The 'textbook' theory of evolution is a direct challenge to the authors of the textbooks. As I was taught in HS, in a unit on biological evolution, it included chemical and cosmic. Perhaps if the authors could portray the truth accurately, I wouldn't need to be offering challenges to these authors. The day Ken Miller gets his facts straight is the day I will take down that challenge, until then, my offer is valid to him and any other textbook author that distorts what biological evolution is.

If one knows the difference between biological and cosmic evolution, for an example, then they realize why the challenge is wrong. However, by realizing that they also must realize that some textbooks authors are also distorting things. Thus my argument is not against those who are knowledgeable.

tk
Edited by - tkster on 08/25/2004 06:55:34
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  07:03:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Oh, but I love this:

quote:
Evolution 101

This is not a page dealing with what Evolution is, that is another page called "Defining Evolution: What Is It?" The one thing that I have learned shortly is the tactic of Evolutionists which I will expose on this page. They really know nothing about science and you'll see why. When applying skeptic logic to their science they fall apart. In order to defend themselves they come up with the usual non-scientific tactics. The following are their main arguments. Pay close attention to how many of them actually have anything to do with science:

Argument One: Evolution is universally accepted by scientists.

This is a lie. According to the New York Times, 45% of American scientists don't accept Darwinian Evolution. Of course, what evolutionists have done is say, "anyone who doesn't accept evolution is not a scientist." I'd like to point out the obvious: Evolutionists Do Not Decide What Is Science and What Is Not Science. If there is one thing that my short life has taught me it is that not everyone will always agree on everything. Some scientists will accept on thing, and others will accept another. Many scientists taught for 2000 years that big rocks fell faster than little rocks.

Another thing I have also learned shortly is that many scientists don't accept Evolution, but know that by voicing their opinion against it, they will be shunned. This has little to do with how science works, and more how a religious cult operates.

The fact that Evolutionists use this argument shows they know nothing about science, but a lot about peer pressure. Oh, it also shows that Evolutionists lie.

Which scientists with what qualifactions, at what facilities do they work, what is their field of research, in which peer-reviewed journals have they published, and why have I not heard of them?

And how is this page not dealing with evolution? Looks pretty evolutioney to me.

Further, please provide a link to the New York Times article. I am curious to see the context (I think I've read that one but I don't recall it clearly).

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  07:05:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Perhaps High School isnt the best place for accurate evolutionary studies information. You would know then that evolution and the big bang are only related in the mind of a creationist.

Your site is a joke and clearly not skeptic worthy.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  07:08:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
quote:
Which scientists with what qualifactions, at what facilities do they work, what is their field of research, in which peer-reviewed journals have they published, and why have I not heard of them?

And how is this page not dealing with evolution? Looks pretty evolutioney to me.

Further, please provide a link to the New York Times article. I am curious to see the context (I think I've read that one but I don't recall it clearly).

Ah yes, my pages in "Science" are dealing with biological evolution. My challenge is dealing with textbook authors. I will be skeptically evaluating biological evolution.

I want to say 2002 NY Times, the term "Darwinian" used by the Times meant "atheistic." A couple of people thought I was talking about mechanisms to evolution, so when I update my site that term will be changed.

I think someone asked about The Skeptic Times. The Newsletter is a humorous satire, the website is mostly humor and archives and will have an evaluation on evolution and some political information as well. For the most part, my intent was for the site to mainly hold past editions.

tk

[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  07:09:38   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by tkster

quote:

The 'textbook' theory of evolution is a direct challenge to the authors of the textbooks. As I was taught in HS, in a unit on biological evolution, it included chemical and cosmic. Perhaps if the authors could portray the truth accurately, I wouldn't need to be offering challenges to these authors. The day Ken Miller gets his facts straight is the day I will take down that challenge, until then, my offer is valid to him and any other textbook author that distorts what biological evolution is.

If one knows the difference between biological and cosmic evolution, for an example, then they realize why the challenge is wrong. However, by realizing that they also must realize that some textbooks authors are also distorting things. Thus my argument is not against those who are knowledgeable.

tk

Forgive me, but I fail to understand the 'textbook' ToE. If a textbook is incorrect, doesn't it get revised in the next edtion?

Textbooks should get revised in every edition, as scientific knowledge increases so fast, now-a-days.

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  07:10:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by BigPapaSmurf

Perhaps High School isnt the best place for accurate evolutionary studies information. You would know then that evolution and the big bang are only related in the mind of a creationist.

The big bang has nothing to do with biological evolution. It should be more clear to HS students though, and it isn't.

tk
Go to Top of Page

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  07:12:02   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
quote:
Forgive me, but I fail to understand the 'textbook' ToE. If a textbook is incorrect, doesn't it get revised in the next edtion?

Textbooks should get revised in every edition, as scientific knowledge increases so fast, now-a-days.

They should be revised if they are incorrect. However, many new editions are still mixing and matching cosmic and biological evolution. And like I said, these authors don't seem to comprehend the difference, that or they are lying ...

tk
Go to Top of Page

tkster
Skeptic Friend

USA
193 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  07:17:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send tkster a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

(Psssst, author of www.skeptictimes.com)

Welcome to the forum tk, it will be interesting in carrying on our converstations in a different type of ring.

Edit: But I warn you, there are many skeptics here greater than I. If you do not wish to back your statements such as in the past, I rather suggest you don't post them.

There you are :P. I somehow missed you post. Either way, thought I'd find you here.

Someone else said:
quote:
Admit it. You don't have a million dollars! You don't have access to a million dollars! Your offer is a fake and you are bluffing. Nice try. Is honesty too much to expect? Is that what Jesus would do? Is that what your mother taught you?

Actually, my family is quite wealthy.

tk
Edited by - tkster on 08/25/2004 07:18:31
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 08/25/2004 :  07:19:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
tk my friend, I'm not too smart and have a poor, formal education. So sometimes I'm a little slow on the uptake. Is the site something of a spoof, or are you indeed a Young Earth Creationist? Either way of course, you're welcome here. Without fun and dissenting opinions, the world would be very dull.

I will agree that many HS textbooks are a pile of crap, including some that my grandkids have shown me (and the school headr about it, too).

Set me straight, bro; where're ya comin' from?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds.