Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  14:27:31   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Has anyone check out Dogma:

http://www.capalert.com/capreports/dogmafull.htm

It got a 6 for the final score! If you haven't seen Dogma, watch it, its a great movie.

Can we set up our own scoring system? Like this:

100 - X = our score

Where X is the score that this site gives.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  15:10:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Ricky

Has anyone check out Dogma:

http://www.capalert.com/capreports/dogmafull.htm

It got a 6 for the final score! If you haven't seen Dogma, watch it, its a great movie.

Can we set up our own scoring system? Like this:

100 - X = our score

Where X is the score that this site gives.

Dogma is awesome! I too recommend it.

The skeptic-wisdom score for "Scary Movie" was 100%

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  15:18:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Damn, I didn't know Scary Movie was that good.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Chippewa
SFN Regular

USA
1496 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  15:31:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Chippewa's Homepage Send Chippewa a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kil

...They did review "Passion". Dave has a link to it above...

OK, I missed it on their list. Reading a bit between the lines of Mr. T. Carder's review, he seems after a while to be enjoying the graphic depictions of torture. Eeek!

Diversity, independence, innovation and imagination are progressive concepts ultimately alien to the conservative mind.

"TAX AND SPEND" IS GOOD! (TAX: Wealthy corporations who won't go poor even after taxes. SPEND: On public works programs, education, the environment, improvements.)
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  18:42:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.
Well, The Passion of the Christ gets a red light, with no fewer than 42.7 acts of Wanton Violence/Crime per hour, among other sordid details. A final CAP score of only 69. [i]
Usually, fundamentalist Christians like the guys behind the CAP report usually have no problem with death-sentence if convicted in a court of law. So I sit here asking myself "Jesus was actually found guilty in a court of law. Albeit on dubious charges and evidense, but in court anyway. Why do they list the death of Jesus as Murder?"
quote:
Murder/Suicide (M)
  • suicide of Judas
  • murder of our Lord

After reading through the review, I agree with Chippewa.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2004 :  19:12:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
On the other hand, the whole CAP thing is allegedly to suggest to parents that they should steer their kids away from certain things, and I wholeheartedly agree that parents should avoid exposing their young children to the horrors portrayed in the Bible.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2004 :  01:52:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
But steer them away from the muppets on the basis of the gratuitous display of sexuality by Miss Piggy? I wish I had discovered this site earlier. Comedy gold.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2004 :  00:03:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
Haha, okay Dave W., you got me. I totally thought I was going to skate on that cookie promise, but I knew I was busted when I saw the summary for Update #6 list "a missing cookie." (But I am glad I received "editor's choice" for my thread topic--woot!)

See, the problem is you're logical. When I went to the site I just started clicking on titles at random. Thinking others would do the same, I figured it would be hard to find a green lighted flick. Then you go and actually read their grading system and screw up my whole plan. I didn't even notice that they listed a numerical score until my third time visting the site.

So, I do owe ya a cookie. Unless you want to go double or nothing? Hmmm. Think of a good challenge.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 09/19/2004 00:30:01
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2004 :  02:44:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hi Plyss, and Welcome!

There's a bunch of flicks they failed to cover -- I guess you can't see 'em all. But Natural born Killers got an interesting review.

I've noticed that they will take requests. Thoughts, anyone?

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2004 :  06:27:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
Muppets christmas carol. I couldn't find it there. Although I don't think they like it, for all the gratuitous cartoon violence.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2004 :  12:23:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

I've noticed that they will take requests. Thoughts, anyone?

Well, i'm somewhat partial to the Evil Dead series.
Also, Monthy Python's Life of Brian might be an interesting request.

I was going to suggest Evolution, but it turns out they already did it. Apparently the "entire theme based on evolution" counts as an offense against God. Funnily enough, that movie itself should count as an offense against evolution ;)

Plyss
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2004 :  16:13:24   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Silence of the Lambs isn't there.

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2004 :  19:26:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

Haha, okay Dave W., you got me. I totally thought I was going to skate on that cookie promise, but I knew I was busted when I saw the summary for Update #6 list "a missing cookie." (But I am glad I received "editor's choice" for my thread topic--woot!)
Hey, the thread was deserving of the notice, even without an attempted reneging of an offered cookie.
quote:
See, the problem is you're logical.
Yeah, I hear that a lot. Must be a personality quirk.
quote:
When I went to the site I just started clicking on titles at random. Thinking others would do the same, I figured it would be hard to find a green lighted flick. Then you go and actually read their grading system and screw up my whole plan. I didn't even notice that they listed a numerical score until my third time visting the site.
Well, when faced with a challenge, I do like being systematic in my solution. Sorry if your plan got hosed, but one should expect a bit of thoroughness at a site like ours. Especially when there's a cookie at stake.
quote:
So, I do owe ya a cookie. Unless you want to go double or nothing? Hmmm. Think of a good challenge.
Hmmm...

Okay, I started a new thread for it.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  01:38:57   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Umm, great minds think alike. I too, looked for 'Brian' and 'Lambs'.

Also among the interesting missing are such cult classics as: The Blues Brothers, Animal House, Up in Smoke, and, was Search for the Holy Grail covered? I don't recall seeing it.

I wonder if they'll do defunct TV series that are now available on DVD? I've recently recieved Family Guy from Amazon. I've no doubt they could wax lyrical on that one. I certainly can.

Another I'd like to see them write up would be The Tenth Kingdom . It has scorcery and magic, monsters, murder and other violence including poisoning, conspiricy and knavery in general, and one of the most charming films I've seen in many years. It's also long enough that it's best watched as a serial.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.88 seconds.