New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NubiWan
Skeptic Friend

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  11:10:43  Show Profile Send NubiWan a Private Message
The shame is, that the 'story' now is no longer the issue of Bush being AWOL during his military 'service to our country,' but CBS. May be alone on this, but think CBS did do the 'right' thing by coming clean. Can you imagine FOX News doing the same..? Well, we'll see how badly they, CBS, are punished for 'fessing up.

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  11:15:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
It looks to me like now the question is: who exactly did the fakery? It is my understanding, correct me if I'm wrong, that the papers came from either the Pentagon or the White House.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  21:40:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Well, it serves to divert attention away from the campaign issues.

How the media can fuck over yet another election..... it's rather amazing.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2004 :  21:46:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I don't think its amazing in a nation where the majority of the population takes whatever they hear as fact.

But it is definitely disturbing.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2004 :  02:24:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
What is most disturbing to me is the incredible self importance the media seem to think of themselves. They are going on and on as if this is the most important story of the century. And the talk, "This will be the end of Dan Rather's career." It is so over dramatic as to be silly. The guy who faked the documents isn't a party big wig, he's a disgruntled ex-natl.guard. Rather and CBS screwed up, like that never happened to any other newscaster? If Karl Rove or Tom Daschle or someone like that had done it, that would be news.

Maybe you had to see the 60 Minutes broadcast to get it, I don't know.
Go to Top of Page

Renae
SFN Regular

543 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  17:13:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Renae a Private Message
This story is exasperating.

First, the memos haven't been proven to be fake (as far as I know.) Rather, their authenticity was questioned by a right-wing blogger and the story grew from there.

Second, the memos are only part of the documentation they found for the story. They may have been the bulk of it, but they're still only part of it.

Third, Rather had the memos authenticated by two sources who verified the signature and two who raised questions as to the memos authenticity. This doesn't feel like carelessness or malice to me.

Soooooo....what's the big deal? What am I missing, other than that the Republicans have bullied and spun their way out of another jam?

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/22/2004 :  22:36:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
.... and it still doesn't change the fact that W didn't complete his service requirements fully.....

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

NubiWan
Skeptic Friend

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  09:50:14   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send NubiWan a Private Message
Dude;
"Well, it serves to divert attention away from the campaign issues.
How the media can fuck over yet another election..... it's rather amazing."

Well, yeah, butt it is our attention, and our votes, afterall. We have to at least share the blame, huh?

Just wonder how Dubya keeps from choking, when he thanks the famlies for their son's and/or daughter's, "Service to their country,"!?! Guess he knows that the 'rules' don't apply to him and his kind, just the little people...

Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 09/23/2004 :  15:38:08   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
quote:
Well, yeah, butt it is our attention, and our votes, afterall. We have to at least share the blame, huh?

Not mine. I vote regardless of what I hear pollsters and election predictors say. But, so many people listen to their TV, and think why the hell should they bother voting if the game is already decided before they even get to the polls?

The media has screwed up bigtime in the last 4 years, starting with the 2000 election and premature predictions right on through failing to ask any questions (not to mention the HARD questions) of the current administration's actions.

Now you'd think they would be damn carefull about what they had to say about candidates and elections these days....

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/24/2004 :  22:07:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Renae

This story is exasperating.

First, the memos haven't been proven to be fake (as far as I know.) Rather, their authenticity was questioned by a right-wing blogger and the story grew from there.

Second, the memos are only part of the documentation they found for the story. They may have been the bulk of it, but they're still only part of it.

Third, Rather had the memos authenticated by two sources who verified the signature and two who raised questions as to the memos authenticity. This doesn't feel like carelessness or malice to me.

Soooooo....what's the big deal? What am I missing, other than that the Republicans have bullied and spun their way out of another jam?

There's a page of IBM Selectric typeface on one of these boards, so it must be "From Where I Stand" or the Bad Astronomy board if it isn't here. Anyway, there's a guy who had a web page about a typewriter museum. He posted the typeface and several other possibilities next to the document type. It clearly matched Windows and not the typewriter. And I don't think that guy who gave them to CBS was very convincing that he believed they were real.

John Stewart made a good point about the fake documents that claimed Iraq was seeking 'yellow cake' uranium from Niger not getting nearly as much attention, yet it was used to start a war.

Man, if I believed in conspiracies, I'd just about have to say the corporate media was conspiring to keep Bush in office.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 09/24/2004 22:08:14
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  02:58:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
Wether fake or not, are these documents even necessary when it comes to showing that Bush was AWOL or not? And either way, why is it more important what the candidates did 20-30 years ago than what they did more recently? Especially the one being president for the last four years...?

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2004 :  03:50:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Here's the evidence: http://www.selectric.org/selectric/memogate.html

Of course the memo doesn't matter. But we are stuck with the news bombardment because we live in such a non-intellectual time.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds.