Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  13:18:04   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Coincidently, I'm seeing blurbs that Bush might indeed pass on the next two. All internet blather at this point, of course, and not worth bringing here at the moment.

I think that he's screwed either way, unless he somehow pulls something out of the hat. A Rove-inspired Bush doing political prestidigitation is not a pleasant thing to contemplate -- remember FL, 2,000?

We shall see.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26021 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  13:33:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Chippewa wrote:
quote:
On the other hand, Bush repeated his empty-headed charges (without substantiation) over and over, and looked alternately annoyed or frightened.
Not only that, but looking sloppy the entire time. He spent almost the entire debate leaning on his podium. Lazy brat.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  16:03:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
At times they seemed to talk beside each other. Bush sometimes didn't answer the actual questions or statements made by Kerry.

Good quote:
Bush: "First of all, of course I know Osama bin Laden attacked us. I know that."

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

NubiWan
Skeptic Friend

USA
424 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  16:14:07   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send NubiWan a Private Message
And this one was suppose to be on Dubya's strong suit, too, the one he'ld 'put Kerry away' with, think the "Rude Pundit" has him nailed to a tee. Well, watched the GOP's storm-spinners go to work here in San Diego, 'a military town.' The local NBC afilliate's poll here, had Kerry winning by nearly 80%, till to quote, "something happened" just about a half hour before their final news cast of the day, when it leveled up to almost even. Today, its back in the 65/35 for Kerry range. Their, the GOP, ability to project illusions, is truly skillful.., remember the 2000 election. Gad, could really scare meself here... Ashcroft, the Patroit Act, close election..,
Bourbon straight up please....

Go to Top of Page

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  16:56:32   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
quote:
MSNBC showed the reaction shots that weren't supposed to be according to the contract. Too bad the networks weren't signatories to the contract. Bush managed to suppress for an hour that damned smirk that you just want to slap off his face.

For the "Faces of Frustration".

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Al Franken
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  18:41:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
May I make a prediction?

Thank you, I will:

Having given the matter further thought, I predict that Bush is going to be a lot better in the next one and Kerry had best have his shit together 'cause the big media, who got caught by the short & curly hairs this time, is gonna spin it like a gyroscope on crank.

Whaddya think?

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2004 :  04:11:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Watched it on CSPAN. They had a split screen the whole time. Bush looked pretty stupid. He really had smirk on his face a lot of the time.

Then I surfed between the main stations for commentary.

You know Bush did bad when they admit as much on FOX news.

Karen Hughes and Rudy Giulliani both spat out prepared talking points. The problem was, the talking points did not predict what Kerry would say so their comments did not match Kerry's and it was obvious.

Actually, that was true for Bush as well. He had prepared talking points and they did not make sense when they followed somethings Kerry said.

Bush's worse moment:
quote:
We're facing a group of folks who have such hatred in their heart, they'll strike anywhere with any means.
Not because of what he said, though Jon Stewart made fun of "group of folks", but because of the way he said it, "we're facing.......[long stuttering pause, looks down at note and reads] a group of folks who.. [blah blah]" He couldn't think of who we were facing without reading his notes????

Today I hear the GOP tried to have a massive choreographed blog response throughout the debate. (The Dems had a smaller one after the debate.) But, despite the GOP effort, the Blogs were rampantly, "Kerry won Bush lost".
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2004 :  12:39:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
At last we have an accruate take on the debates:

quote:
"We Need Our Great President To Protect Us From Vociferous Enemies!!!"

October 2, 2004
By Bob Boudelang, Angry American Patriot

Well, what can I say about Our Great President and His Great Debate that even you do not already know for yourself? Other than that now you know what somebody who is not ready or deserving of high office looks like when he is caught unprepared without facts or good arguments and nothing but a few tired talking points to fall back on.

And you know who I mean. So stop saying that!!

http://www.democraticunderground.com/bob/04/112.html

Bob for Prez!

Edited to add another link:

http://www.republicanpress.com/kuntly4.htm

Kathleen for First Media Whore!

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/02/2004 12:53:32
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  01:27:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

May I make a prediction?

Thank you, I will:

Having given the matter further thought, I predict that Bush is going to be a lot better in the next one and Kerry had best have his shit together 'cause the big media, who got caught by the short & curly hairs this time, is gonna spin it like a gyroscope on crank.

Whaddya think?

I think you are right. The GOP will program the George Bot to counter how Kerry acted this time. If they are underestimated they will win.
Kerry have to float like a butterfly and sting like a bee.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

gezzam
SFN Regular

Australia
751 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  03:59:39   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit gezzam's Homepage Send gezzam a Private Message
I just don't understand how this man can still be in the race??????

well I do.....a just can't believe some Americans are so gullible.....

Bloody Faux News

Mistakes are a part of being human. Appreciate your mistakes for what they are: precious life lessons that can only be learned the hard way. Unless it's a fatal mistake, which, at least, others can learn from.

Al Franken
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  05:53:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by gezzam

Bloody Faux News

My Ozzie friend, gullibility is our best riff, closely followed by flim-flam. I have no figures on this, but I'd bet that we have more prosperous grifters, grafters, religious snake-oilers, and three-card monte dealers per capita than any other, developed country in the world.

And it must be that we like it like that -- nobody seems to want to make any changes.

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/04/2004 05:55:08
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  10:38:36   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
quote:

Bloody Faux News

The fascinating thing is that gullible is exactly what some of them are not. Some few people probably knows some of the things that has been going on "backstage" and despite that, or because of it, even, they think Bush is the best candidate.

But then there are those who have absolutely no clue about anything, and all they know about USA is that it's the greatest nation on Earth, the only free nation, the beacon of freedom, the defender of all good (except in some cases which we never speak of), and god bless America. Probably stuff they've been hearing all their lives. On the early news and discussion TV today, they discussed the differences between USA and Sweden. One American who now lives in Sweden said that the Americans usually thought that it was an undeniable fact that USA was the best nation to live in, and that it was impossible to imagine to live elsewhere. Is this how it really is, I mean generally?

"Life is but a momentary glimpse of the wonder of this astonishing universe, and it is sad to see so many dreaming it away on spiritual fantasy." -- Carl Sagan
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  10:52:18   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Maverick

quote:

Bloody Faux News

The fascinating thing is that gullible is exactly what some of them are not. Some few people probably knows some of the things that has been going on "backstage" and despite that, or because of it, even, they think Bush is the best candidate.

But then there are those who have absolutely no clue about anything, and all they know about USA is that it's the greatest nation on Earth, the only free nation, the beacon of freedom, the defender of all good (except in some cases which we never speak of), and god bless America. Probably stuff they've been hearing all their lives. On the early news and discussion TV today, they discussed the differences between USA and Sweden. One American who now lives in Sweden said that the Americans usually thought that it was an undeniable fact that USA was the best nation to live in, and that it was impossible to imagine to live elsewhere. Is this how it really is, I mean generally?

Yeah, pretty much.

I would love to spend some time in Sweden. Did you know that the european adder (Vipera berus) in Sweden is the only serpent that actually thrives above the Artic Circle?

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  11:03:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Ive heard "Greatest nation on Earth" or some form of it so many times I want to puke. At the age of 5 we begin 'Pledging our alligance to the USA' we learn all about how our forfathers freed us from tyranny and freed the slaves and^..^ Fast forward to 'A chicken in every pot and how we saved the world in both great wars and crushed the tyranny of the Soviets single handed. This is a short version of US history as tought in public schools. Private schools might add 'With the blessings of God' to the BS.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Maverick
Skeptic Friend

Sweden
385 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2004 :  11:23:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Maverick a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

Yeah, pretty much.

I would love to spend some time in Sweden. Did you know that the european adder (Vipera berus) in Sweden is the only serpent that actually thrives above the Artic Circle?

I did know it lived up north, but not much more than that. I even had to look up the name Vipera Berus... so apparently it is the "huggorm" in everyday Swedish. In 1st or 2nd grade I did see the skin of one such snake near the school, but that's about as close I've been to snakes in real life. But I didn't know it was the only one so far up north.

Anyway, Sweden is probably nice to visit, but I have no idea how others would actually like it and what they would think about it?

Btw, I would like to visit your country one day. To see New York, Cape Canaveral, the Library of Congress... many interesting things. Is it true that NORAD is open for tourists or was that just in WarGames?

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.21 seconds.