New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  02:09:05  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
2004 Ig Nobel Prize Winner in Medicine might have the reason.

The Effect of Country Music on Suicide - published in Social Forces, vol. 71, no. 1, September 1992, pp. 211-8.

Complete list of winners

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  02:34:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
It's the "Heavy Metal causes teens to off themselves" hypothesis all over again.

The question will always remain, "Does a certain kind of music cause people to become suicide-prone and depressed? Or do suicide-prone and depressed people seek out a certain kind of music?"

I think it's the latter, and I don't understand why people keep writing unoriginal papers on this topic.

I do remember one comedian's take on the effects of music and suicide. He said, "When I was a kid, I was really into the Beatles. But if John and Ringo ever came up to me in person and said, 'Kid, we really think you should kill yourself," I think I would find that Rolling Stones album starting to sound a hell of a lot better."

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/01/2004 02:35:19
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  03:20:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by H. Humbert

The question will always remain, "Does a certain kind of music cause people to become suicide-prone and depressed? Or do suicide-prone and depressed people seek out a certain kind of music?"

I think it's the latter, and I don't understand why people keep writing unoriginal papers on this topic.

"Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?"
-- Rob Gordon, High Fidelity

I don't think you should take any IG Nobel winner seriously...

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  07:45:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Know what you get when you play a country song backwards? You get your wife back, you get your truck back, you get your dog back...

There used to be TV ads in this area for the local country radio station, with people talking about how country music is about "real life." Well, sheesh. I want my music to be fun. I've got plenty of real life without seeking out music to grind real life into me even further.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2004 :  08:28:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I was going to post the same thing right now.
Then again, if I was forced to listen to country music all the time, I might as well kill myself to make it stop...

quote:
The American Nudist Research Library of Kissimmee, Florida, USA, for preserving nudist history so that everyone can see it.

-giggles-

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Edited by - Siberia on 10/01/2004 08:31:26
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2004 :  23:59:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
Hey, don't be mocking my Shania Twain CD, now.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 10/14/2004 23:59:59
Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  07:09:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dave W.

Know what you get when you play a country song backwards? You get your wife back, you get your truck back, you get your dog back...

I thought it was you get your wife back, your job back, your truck gets fixed, you get sober, and your dog comes back to life.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  11:56:12   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
The way I heard it (and told it), Val, the word 'backwards' gets played into the answer with the repeated use of 'back'.

Is this what we've come to today? Deconstructing jokes?

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  18:09:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
Of course, there IS solid evidence that music can cause massive personality shifts....

For evidence I only need refer you to the origin of Bill the Cat.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2004 :  18:44:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

quote:

I thought it was you get your wife back, your job back, your truck gets fixed, you get sober, and your dog comes back to life.

And your mother gets out of prison.....

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  07:02:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by filthy

quote:
Originally posted by Valiant Dancer

quote:

And your mother gets out of prison.....

I thought it was your mother goes back into prison.

Yes, I remember "You Don't Even Call Me By My Name", why do you ask?

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  05:51:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
A line from "the perfect country and western song".
quote:
Well, I was drunk the day my Mom got out of prison,

by David Allen Coe

http://www.brainyencyclopedia.com/encyclopedia/d/da/david_allan_coe.html

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.