Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  15:07:43  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Last sunday it was election day for us. We voted for prefects and a couple other minor charges. A candidate for vice-prefect's 12-year-old daughter disappeared that day while her father was out to vote. Apparently, she went with him but a neighbour lady brought her back, and after that she disappeared.

Today, this old man shows up claiming he had a vision while he prayed. He pointed to the police where the girl's body was - bang, police went there and found her. He declares himself a very Christian person and that he was praying to find her... well, he went there to see and there she was. Dead. That's what he claims.

He knew the child's family, but he didn't inform them of his dream. Instead, he went straight to the police AFTER checking to see if the girl's body was really there. It was found in an obscure, forest-y area. He says the girl often went to his place for a coffee or whatever. The police doesn't know who could've killed the kid, or why.

I don't know why, but I find that very, very suspicious...

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown

Edited by - Siberia on 10/07/2004 15:18:08

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  15:26:25   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
The immediate suspect I would say is the man himself. But I would say what most likely happened was he stumbled upon her, when to the police and told them where she was. Heck, he could have even been praying for her, then decided he felt like going for a walk, found her, told the police, and then credited him going for a walk to God.

Anything is possible.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  15:30:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Yeah, the police seems to consider him a suspect as well... and the body was in a really obscure place for one to stumble upon - then again, anything's possible.

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  16:38:22   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Where exactly was the body? I take it that since you haven't mentioned it, you probably don't know, but I figured I'd ask anyways.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  16:55:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

Yeah, the police seems to consider him a suspect as well... and the body was in a really obscure place for one to stumble upon - then again, anything's possible.

Well, not anything. The one thing that can be ruled out is that he received a vision while praying to Christ that led him directly to the dead girl's body in an obscure spot in the woods.

Since that's impossible, it's a lie. But as Ricky says, he may have other motives for lying than being directly guilty of her murder.

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 10/07/2004 17:25:17
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  17:05:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
As the guy was aquainted with the victim, or at least the family, I would certainly suspect him. There is, of course the state of his sanity to consider.

I agree with Ricky.

Edited 'cause I misread the OP, like a big dummy.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/07/2004 17:08:54
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  18:41:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I didn't watch all of it, just saw glimpses of the place, but I believe it was inside a stone/brick kind of shack in a quite dense forest. Whatever that weird construction was, it was overtaken by weed and such. I'll see if I can snatch some pictures tomorrow - gotta check the web, since I saw it on TV, and see what they have to say.

Apparently the man's well known and respected among his acquaintances, but I wouldn't doubt anything. He's being interrogated by police. When interviewed through phone, he started to cry and get all nervous. He even started shouting those bombastic phrases christians often shout when they're under pressure. I won't accuse the poor man, though, being interrogated with a suspicion of murder would wreck my nerves.

The poor kid, though. She looked adorable.

(sorry if this makes little to no sense... I need sleep. Bad.)

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2004 :  19:43:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Yes, so sad. I read similar all too often, from all over the world.

But perhaps he's innocent. Perhaps he's just a slightly unbalanced aquaintance who had the misfortune to stumble across the body.

Do follow the story and let us know how it comes out.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

Valiant Dancer
Forum Goalie

USA
4826 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  06:40:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Valiant Dancer's Homepage Send Valiant Dancer a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

Last sunday it was election day for us. We voted for prefects and a couple other minor charges. A candidate for vice-prefect's 12-year-old daughter disappeared that day while her father was out to vote. Apparently, she went with him but a neighbour lady brought her back, and after that she disappeared.

Today, this old man shows up claiming he had a vision while he prayed. He pointed to the police where the girl's body was - bang, police went there and found her. He declares himself a very Christian person and that he was praying to find her... well, he went there to see and there she was. Dead. That's what he claims.

He knew the child's family, but he didn't inform them of his dream. Instead, he went straight to the police AFTER checking to see if the girl's body was really there. It was found in an obscure, forest-y area. He says the girl often went to his place for a coffee or whatever. The police doesn't know who could've killed the kid, or why.

I don't know why, but I find that very, very suspicious...

I dunno. I really like him for the murder, though.

I think if the police want to know why the child was killed, they should ask the old man and look into his prior history with the family.

If you don't mind me asking, was the girl sexually assaulted? Might be the motive for a pedophile to kill someone. Another would be a grudge between the old man and some past political percieved slight from the aspiring vice-prefect. If he's mentally unbalanced, he might have done the murder in a dissociative episode and then revealed to himself that he did the murder "in a dream".

But without further evidence, all this is speculation.

Cthulhu/Asmodeus when you're tired of voting for the lesser of two evils

Brother Cutlass of Reasoned Discussion
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  08:07:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
Ah, I found the written case from a decent source (that news show wasn't that trustworthy). Here's what Folha Online has to say on that case (some info has been corrected as well).

quote:

The student Emilie Perez de Souza, 10, was found dead by the dawn of this thursday in Rio Grande da Serra (Grande São Paulo). She is daughter of the city's vice-prefect candidate, Nilson Gonçalves de Souza (PL), and had been missing since sunday, when the municipal elections occurred.

The hypothesis that the crime had political motivations is being investigated, though considered unlikely. The greatest suspicion is that some acquaintance of the victim is involved in the murder.

According to delegate Sérgio Simionato, Emilie's parents are owners of two markets of the area and declared they received no threats and have no enemies.

The body was found by a rural worker in the proximities of a (insert term for a area covered in bamboo and wild weed). The girl has been killed with cuts on the neck and chest. It is not yet possible to affirm if there was sexual violence or not.

According to the father, he saw the girl for the last time by 4pm on Sunday, when she went into the school to drink. He also said that after that he didn't notice his daughter's ausence because he thought she was with one of her brothers. A neighbour declared she'd taken the child home by 4:30pm on the same day. The parents only went to the Civil Police on the next day.

Phonecalls

The family received anonymous phonecalls at least three times during the period of her girl's disappearance. The caller remained in silence during all three calls. No ransom notes or calls.

Police will request a record of the phonecalls to find out where did they came from.

From this source, no reference to the alleged vision/word of God to the person who found the body... they took his fingerprints, though. Another source says she was found naked in the shack, inside a plastic bag, with her clothes being in another bag. Perhaps she was raped and killed by some deranged pedophilic? Not necessarely the same person who called the cops after the 'dream', but...

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

furshur
SFN Regular

USA
1536 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  09:28:17   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send furshur a Private Message
quote:
He declares himself a very Christian person and that he was praying to find her... well, he went there to see and there she was. Dead. That's what he claims.

Not to make lite of this tragedy, but it's too bad that prayer only allowed them to find the girl dead. I wonder if he prayed better, or if more people had been praying, would she have been found alive.

Again this is tragic, but the way the religious come out of the woodwork and claim miracles... it just gets on my nerves.

If I knew then what I know now then I would know more now than I know.
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2004 :  09:39:09   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
True. That isn't very helpful to pray and get to the child when it's already too late...

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2004 :  22:54:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
From the facts as presented, the guy who found the body did it, it has all the classic earmarks. It's about the same as John Ramsey getting tired of the police not searching the house so he goes and pretends to discover his dead daughter in a basement room.

The clues:
He knows the girl.
It looks like the girl disappeared from her home, if the neighbor took her home.
Several days go by and no girl found.
The guy gets impatient and claims to have been led to the body by prayer.

OK, so why would he have checked to see if the body was there? That is too fishy. To have found the body is fishy. It doesn't take rocket science to put this one together.

Why the parents would wait a day to report their missing child is odd, but perhaps there was an unmentioned reason.
Edited by - beskeptigal on 10/09/2004 22:55:50
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  14:04:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
They might've thought she was with a friend or so... who knows? The police's investigating him, though. But why would he kill the kid? I'm thinking pedophilia gone mad. After all, she was found naked with her clothes neatly packed - this is no random psychotic action.

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  15:10:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
From the facts as presented, the guy who found the body did it, it has all the classic earmarks

The facts presented in this thread in no way shape or form could ever lead you to that conclusion. There is nothing linking him to the murder besides the fact that he found the body. No motive is there, they have not found the murder weapon although it seems very likely that they know exactly what it is. The article has only mentioned "cuts" which can come from a variety of things. Normally the police can tell from the wound exactly what made the cut. If everyone who found a body was the murderer... there no need to finish that sentence.

quote:

The clues:
He knows the girl.
It looks like the girl disappeared from her home, if the neighbor took her home.
Several days go by and no girl found.
The guy gets impatient and claims to have been led to the body by prayer.

The last one is not a clue at all. That is based on the assumption that he actually did murder the girl.

So lets take a look at what you are saying with these clues:

Anyone who finds someone they know dead that disappeared from their house several days ago must be the murderer.

Completely false.

quote:
OK, so why would he have checked to see if the body was there? That is too fishy. To have found the body is fishy. It doesn't take rocket science to put this one together.

Something being fishy does not lead you to the conclusion that he did it.

Boy, if I ever go to court, I sure hope Beskeptigal is not part of the jury

- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 10/10/2004 15:12:18
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  15:36:55   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
The media's being frustratingly quiet about it now. I think because it wasn't someone important's daughter they won't keep us tuned with the investigations. It also wasn't brutal enough. Except that quirky old man, we've nothing the media would hop onto.

-- unknown
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.