Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  18:42:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
I tried posting this over at the skeptictimes, and my original post was removed and the topic was locked. I responded by making a new post:

"That entire video was made up with Hovind's own personal clips that he records and distributes, in context. Are we not allowed to show Hovind's own clips because they are a personal attack against himself?"

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Edited by - Ricky on 10/21/2004 18:43:05
Go to Top of Page

qXdc

11 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2004 :  22:20:51   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send qXdc an AOL message Send qXdc a Private Message
really? I've been banned from skeptictimes 3 times over. I was going to attempt posting my video there, but I figured it do no good.

please spread the word though, thanks guys
Go to Top of Page

qXdc

11 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2004 :  22:27:43   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send qXdc an AOL message Send qXdc a Private Message
http://true.wxcs.com/multimedia/audio/anti-evolution-song.mp3

Another good laugh..
Go to Top of Page

Angus

1 Post

Posted - 10/24/2004 :  22:46:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Angus an AOL message Send Angus a Private Message
and Hovind takes a beating...
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2004 :  23:18:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Welcome to the forums qXdc!

Who exactly is that song by?
As for the video, in the reply to my reply to my post being deleted (yet again..) tkster claimed that Hovind was going to clear up what he was trying to say there. Have you heard any word on this?

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

qXdc

11 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  08:11:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send qXdc an AOL message Send qXdc a Private Message
Hovind's been confronted about many many things, he will continue to use his little arguments, jokes, and analagies. When pointed out that what he's saying is disingenuous, he ignores it and keep's doing what he's doing.

I've confronted him on his program for weeks about all kinds of things, he ignores it.
Go to Top of Page

qXdc

11 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  08:16:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send qXdc an AOL message Send qXdc a Private Message
http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23784

help!
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  15:11:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by qXdc

Hovind's been confronted about many many things, he will continue to use his little arguments, jokes, and analagies. When pointed out that what he's saying is disingenuous, he ignores it and keep's doing what he's doing.

I've confronted him on his program for weeks about all kinds of things, he ignores it.

I've often wondered if Hovind truely believes what he is saying or if he just sees it as "telling lies for the Lord".
As for his followers, there's no way to convince those who do not wish to be convinced.

Miss Tick sniffed. 'You could say this piece of advice is pricesless', she said. 'Are you listening?'
'Yes' said Tiffany.
'Good now...If you trust in yourself.."
'Yes..?'
'..and believe in your dreams...'
'yes?'
'...and follow your star..' Miss Tick went on.
'Yes?'
'You'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye.'
Go to Top of Page

qXdc

11 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  18:49:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send qXdc an AOL message Send qXdc a Private Message
"telling lies for the Lord". hahahahahahaha. good one
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  19:17:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Looks like I may have found a new forum to challenge. Thanks for the link qXdc

- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

qXdc

11 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  21:03:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send qXdc an AOL message Send qXdc a Private Message
my posts already been edited, and both of my user names banned..

ugdhsj
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  02:18:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hovind is so outrageous that all too often even I fall into the trap of thinking of him as an idiot.

He is anything but an idiot. He is a very smooth charlaton who has found a select group of idiots to prey upon. Without these, he'd change his line and suck the blood of another, equally gullible group. Or deal three-card monte on the street corner.

Example: Hovind claims to speak some 700 + times a year. Now, you and I know, without even doing the math, that this is not possible unless he's solved the riddle of FTL and/or time travel. But his 'flock' accept it without question.

Hovind has been admonished by both the AiG and ICR, and he doesn't care. He is a laughing stock all over the net, except for places like the afore-linked Bible Forums and the mis-named SkepticTimes, and he still doesn't care because he can always whine about 'evolutionist predjudice,' and his half-bright following will continue to grow. He is exposed as a liar and reprobate almost every time someone writes about him, and it matters not at all.

Hovind is part of the price we must willingly pay for our First Amendment freedoms. Which I, when in a venomous enough frame of mind, take advantage of to trash the mendacious bastard.

Has anybody heard anything about how his tax flim-flam is doing?

Edited to extend a belated Welcome to qXdc and Angus. Hi, y'all!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Edited by - filthy on 10/26/2004 02:28:35
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  07:21:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by qXdc

http://bibleforums.org/forum/showthread.php?t=23784

help!

Some people are lost causes...

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2004 :  15:03:01   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
I thought I'd throw this in, just for kicks:

quote:
Preface and Acknowledgments

"Scientific" creationists have claimed that the physical evidence, without the need of miracles, supports an earth which is only about 6000 years old. They have written numerous books in support of such claims. If the number of books written, lectures delivered, and debates staged had any relationship to the accuracy of one's claims, the "scientific" creationists would have succeeded a long time ago!

The scientific debate, of course, was settled long ago. However, a public debate is kept very much alive by the activities of the "scientific" creationists. I use quotations here because _real_ scientists look at the data first and _then_ determine if their _hypotheses_ will fit in. "Scientific" creationists begin with biblical "truths" which _may not be questioned_. They look at the data and then decide whether or not the _data_ will fit in with their interpretation of the Bible. Supporting data are collected; contradictory data are assumed to be incomplete or erroneous. That is _not_ science!

The shocking truth, unknown to much of the public, is that the arguments advanced by the "scientific" creationists are not only bad, but shockingly bad. Arguments based solely on obsolete data are by no means rare. Misrepresentation of the data are commonplace! (It is usually a case of bad data being passed along or wishful thinking rather than out- and-out dishonesty.) Thus, the question as to how good the young-earth arguments are takes on a new meaning.

This paper was written with the upcoming May 1994 Babinski-Hovind debate in mind. Dr. Kent Hovind, a popular "creationist evangelist," has offered $10,000 to anyone who can provide him with "evidence for evolution." If that offer is a meaningful one, then this manuscript may be viewed as a step toward claiming that prize. Therefore, Dr. Hovind's list of 30 young-earth "proofs"--so typical of those offered by young- earth creationists over the past few decades--will be the primary focus of our discussion.

I wish to thank Edward T. Babinski for proofreading this manuscript as well as offering some good arguments and sound advice. Ed, formerly the editor of the _Theistic Evolutionists' Forum_, an activist for common sense with irons in various fires, will likely be heard from more and more as the years go by.

I also wish to thank Dr. Alan Hayward, Dr. Stephen Brush, Dr. Arthur Strahler, Daniel Wonderly, Dr. Eugenie Scott of The National Center for Science Education, Dr. Laurie Godfrey, the Pacific Division of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, Stanford University Press, and Kalmbach Publishing Company (the publisher of _Astronomy_ and other interesting magazines) for permitting extensive use of their material.

http://www.skeptictank.org/hs/matson-v.htm

What follows is some 30 of the Doctor of Drivel's more authoritive statments with comment.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

qXdc

11 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2004 :  17:43:45   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send qXdc an AOL message Send qXdc a Private Message
River on the Kent Hovind show.

My friend River called into the Hovind show today to try and clean up the dirty claims Hovind was making on the show.

It's quite entertaining, River is very knowledgeable on the subject and Hovind often gets aggressive and (appears to) gets nervous as well
http://true.wxcs.com/multimedia/audio/River_vs_Hovind_short.mp3

If you have any questions for River about the subject - evosci@yahoo.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.