Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  14:08:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Seriously, that is what he claims on the 3 issue of the SkepticTimes Radio.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  14:29:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
Alright, I heard wrong (or thought wrong, don't know which). He is not voting for Bush, but Badnarik.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/18/2004 :  14:46:40   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Who's Badnarik?
Doesn't really matter though, since any vote not put on Kerry is one vote closer to re-electing Bush.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  03:58:19   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Who's Badnarik?
Doesn't really matter though, since any vote not put on Kerry is one vote closer to re-electing Bush.

Isn't Badnarik one of the more religious nutjobs? It's good he is there, otherwise TK probably would be voting for Bush.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Starman
SFN Regular

Sweden
1613 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  04:17:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Starman a Private Message
Badnarik is the Libertarian Party candidate.

"Any religion that makes a form of torture into an icon that they worship seems to me a pretty sick sort of religion quite honestly"
-- Terry Jones
Go to Top of Page

tomk80
SFN Regular

Netherlands
1278 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  04:36:13   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit tomk80's Homepage Send tomk80 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Starman

Badnarik is the Libertarian Party candidate.

Ah, my bad. But I'm guessing that he is pulling TK's vote away from Bush, not from Kerry. If that is the case, I'm all for it.
However, I'm wondering whether TK will still hold up to what he said given the tie of Bush and Kerry.

Tom

`Contrariwise,' continued Tweedledee, `if it was so, it might be; and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic.'
-Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Caroll-
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  12:49:03   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
I'm not so sure these polling data are as accurate as people think they are.

There are alot of people, especially in the 18-21 range (who were to young to vote in 2k) who don't own any telephone except a cell phone. You can't get public access to cellphone numbers for things like polls and telemarketing....

I myself had my land-line shut off a couple years ago, and exclusively use a cellphone. Got a plan that has unlimited minutes, no roaming, and no longdistance fees for anywhere in the continental US. Why have a land-line on top of that?

I suspect that the large majority of those younger people will vote Kerry. No data to back that up, just my own recent return to school has pretty clearly shown me that most of the college students at my school are voting Kerry.

Edit: off topic! sorry.... hehe

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Edited by - Dude on 10/19/2004 12:50:07
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2004 :  13:20:26   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Thats because you goto a liberal school, Im sure if you were going to say, Oklahoma U you'd find the opposite. Not to say that most campuses arnt liberal because they are, just not all of them.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/20/2004 :  18:39:48   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
My main point with that was to point out that there is a block of voters that the pollsters can't get to and ask questions. In these polls with a 2-3 point difference, and an error margin at 4-5 points.... the young voter could have a suprise impact on the election this year.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

astropin
SFN Regular

USA
970 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  10:13:33   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send astropin a Private Message
Just wanted to say SPECTACULAR presentation Peptide! I'm going to print this off and save it in case the creationist ever show up at my kid's school.

I would rather face a cold reality than delude myself with comforting fantasies.

You are free to believe what you want to believe and I am free to ridicule you for it.

Atheism:
The result of an unbiased and rational search for the truth.

Infinitus est numerus stultorum
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  12:31:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
Just in case anyone missed this in the other thread:

Tkster has ruled that "Dr." Hovind is a valid scientific source in the debate.

http://skeptictimes.golivewire.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=510&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=39

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

BigPapaSmurf
SFN Die Hard

3192 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  12:46:42   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send BigPapaSmurf a Private Message
Oh I got a doctorate for 6 bucks from the Universal Life Church, after my free ordaining as a minister (was free with 12$ friends ordainment)

So am I a valid scientific source? If not I can still do funerals.

"...things I have neither seen nor experienced nor heard tell of from anybody else; things, what is more, that do not in fact exist and could not ever exist at all. So my readers must not believe a word I say." -Lucian on his book True History

"...They accept such things on faith alone, without any evidence. So if a fraudulent and cunning person who knows how to take advantage of a situation comes among them, he can make himself rich in a short time." -Lucian critical of early Christians c.166 AD From his book, De Morte Peregrini
Go to Top of Page

Peptide
Skeptic Friend

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  13:59:30   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Peptide a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse

Just in case anyone missed this in the other thread:

Tkster has ruled that "Dr." Hovind is a valid scientific source in the debate.

http://skeptictimes.golivewire.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=510&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=39

That says it all. If they take Mr. Hovind as a reliable source then they might as well use Dr. Suess to support a young earth. What really scares me is that Mr. Hovind claims to have been a high school science teacher. I would have pulled my kid out of that class in the blink of an eye.
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  16:00:46   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Peptide
That says it all. If they take Mr. Hovind as a reliable source then they might as well use Dr. Suess to support a young earth.
That's why I'm sure tkster will pronounce Jimi as winner of the debate, even though you are in reality.

Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/21/2004 :  16:12:06   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
I'm interested to see how they argue against the HERVs. Should be amusing at the least.

Possibly as amusing as these idiots accepting that Hovind and Baugh are credible sources.

If I get my friend to issue me a degree from his imaginary school, can I be a credible source also?

-- Thomas Jefferson

Hope, n.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.