The coming dissolution of America
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

walt fristoe
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  15:25:37  Show Profile Send walt fristoe a Private Message
I think one of the main reasons that Al Qaida hasn't tried very hard, since 9/11, to hit the USA again is that it doesn't need to. The damage they did to us on that terrible Tuesday was nothing compared to the damage we've inflicted on ourselves since then. All they have to do now is keep the threat alive in our minds while they sit back and watch us tear our country apart, which is exactly what we've been doing.

I greatly fear for the future of our great nation. Not only our Constitution, but our democratic principles as well will be tested mightily in the years to come. I hope like hell our system can withstand being ripped to shreds from the inside, for that is exactly what I expect will occur, no matter who "wins" the coming election.

I know the U.S. has made it through tough times before. We've survived a civil war, two world wars, a cold war, etc., but we've never been tested in a religious war. The Muslims seem to want Jihad, while the Christians are only too willing to give them the Holy War they seek, since the Christian faction seems to crave global domination. Events are quickly coming to a head, with no apparent way to apply the breaks. "Charlie stole the handle", and now there's no way to slow down the train, much less to stop it!

"If God chose George Bus of all the people in the world, how good could God be?"
Bill Maher

Dude
SFN Die Hard

USA
6891 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  18:28:54   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Dude a Private Message
I dunno Walt. I am more of an optomist.

But I am going to move to New Zealand if anything like Patriot Act 2 gets passed.

Ignorance is preferable to error; and he is less remote from the truth who believes nothing, than he who believes what is wrong.
-- Thomas Jefferson

"god :: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument." - G. Carlin

Hope, n.
The handmaiden of desperation; the opiate of despair; the illegible signpost on the road to perdition. ~~ da filth
Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2004 :  18:44:05   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
quote:
But I am going to move to New Zealand if anything like Patriot Act 2 gets passed.

Did you not know it was originally designed to be a triology? Slowly taking away our rights until we are slaves to Bush.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2004 :  04:05:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dude

I dunno Walt. I am more of an optomist.

I'm not American, but I'm going to move out of Brazil as soon as I can. Mr. Bush is already turning his magical-nuclear-weapon-sight to us... and that really, really scares me.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

walt fristoe
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  12:28:53   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send walt fristoe a Private Message
Everyone seems to be so focused on Bush that they are forgetting that it's not just the Coward in Chief that needs to go, but the whole neocon clique that must be eliminated. The neocons are power/money-hungry elements in our government who seek total control and world domination by any means at their disposal. They will stop at nothing to continue their onslaught of our Constitution.

Also, this religious war that is coming is not just between the Christian faction and the Muslims, but also between the religious extremists of whatever sect and the secular, non-religious people whom they see as the enemies of God. For years it has been evident that there is a growing division between the religious right and the secular left.

Some of the other trends leading to my concern for our representative republic are these:

*A widening disparity between the haves and the haven'ts, not just among individuals, but also among nations and global regions.

*The electorate in this country is much too easily manipulated by nefarious interests with narrow minded, self-promoting agendas that can put criminals in power.

*As global respect for America decreases, the Dollar could become worth less, or even worthless, resulting in widespread economic chaos for America and our allies.

*As global resources become more and more scarce, America will become less and less able -- and at the same time, more and more desperate -- to maintain its lavish, resource-dependent culture.

"If God chose George Bus of all the people in the world, how good could God be?"
Bill Maher
Go to Top of Page

walt fristoe
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  12:40:29   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send walt fristoe a Private Message
I forgot to mention that the separation of powers clause of the Constitution has been greatly eroded of late, dumping more and more power into the hands of the executive branch, to the detriment of any governmental oversight that might once have existed in this country, which means the electorate no longer has much of a say in the domestic or foreign policy arenas.

Bill Maher
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  13:01:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Bush is just the worst example of what every administration has been like since the beginning of the U.S.

Hey did you see what Brazilian General Heleno is doing in Haiti?

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=55&ItemID=6456

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  15:52:37   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Gorgo

Bush is just the worst example of what every administration has been like since the beginning of the U.S.

Hey did you see what Brazilian General Heleno is doing in Haiti?

http://www.zmag.org/content/showarticle.cfm?SectionID=55&ItemID=6456

Shows how much publicity those things get over here.

quote:
Bernstein: I want to come back to you Kevin, in Port au Prince. There was an astoundingly troubling story that came out of Brazil from Martine Costes in Rio de Janeiro. This was on Saturday on I think it was the Saturday morning news edition. He talked about, the whole story was about how the Brazilian leadership in the UN peacekeeping forces in Haiti was something that the Brazilians were now proud of, that the General was welcomed, there was cheering from both soccer teams.I don't know what the heck they were talking about but he never mentioned a Haitian, he never talked to a Haitian, and the only reference to President Aristide was that Aristide gangs, roaming, had surfaced and were making the situation worse. Do you want to talk about, sort of the characterization of Aristide gangs and also what the situation really is because obviously he didn't have a clue, didn't care, wasn't there and was just reporting simply on, I guess, Brazil.

I saw in the news about the soccer teams; they even had pictures of it. But it was so fuzzy, so unimportantly senseless I paid no attention at all. I don't think they even mentioned General Heleno, or war, or anything - that's the only recent recollection I've about Haiti. But no, not something we'd be proud of.

quote:
You've got to remember that Brazil had a coup in 1964 and after that the Brazilian military pretty much ran that government and its politics for, more than 15 years, almost 18 years. And of course those were days when the Brazilian military was used by the wealthy elite there to impose their will on the population, to impose their program for so-called progress in Brazil and those were horrible days of arbitrary arrest, torture and murder, which were seen as necessary evils by the Brazilian military.

We're taught in school to despise those days (or at least, I was).

Shameful, really, really shameful.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Gorgo
SFN Die Hard

USA
5310 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2004 :  18:11:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Gorgo a Private Message
Yeah, not too much about it here, either. Everything's about the Presidential horse race.

[quoteShows how much publicity those things get over here.
[/quote]

I know the rent is in arrears
The dog has not been fed in years
It's even worse than it appears
But it's alright-
Jerry Garcia
Robert Hunter

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds.