New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

way

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  12:46:21   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send way a Private Message
I'm still playing catch up so excuse the delayed post to this topic...

Having recently joined after being an acknowledged lurker I can say that I haven't thought of the regulars here as being close-minded. If you drop in once or twice and only read some highlights then maybe you could come away with that impression. If you spend some time reading various topics and who posts them then it is obvious that the regulars have the central theme of evidence, proof and no unsubstantiated claims. Pretty "religious" about it too.

I have often thought that the regulars were relentless in their pursuit of evidence especially with the likes of V but that's the way it should be. And, definitely added spice to the reading. Kept me on the edge of my seat.

Keep up the good work.
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  15:52:41   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wendy
quote:
Originally posted by filthy
But I've found that if you speak in a calm and reasonable manner, and have your shit together while you do it, you can't help but come out ahead.

Exactly.
Honestly, guys, I'm not suggesting we be more "Christ-like", but like Ricky, I do feel there are times when we could be more diplomatic.

Actually i feel the same way. There are times when responses that are somewhat more diplomatic might yield better results then tearing into an opponent at the first opportunity.

Browsing through several of the "deconversion" stories on the web the general rule seems to be that it's not the rock-hard logic of the skeptics that convinces believer, but rather the general reasonablenes[1] that convinces people there may be a point to it, which encourages investigation.

Of couse, converting True Believers may not be our primary goal, but i sometimes feel were leaning to much towards an elitist stance that alienates people from this forums' cause.

[1] Is that even a word?

Miss Tick sniffed. 'You could say this piece of advice is pricesless', she said. 'Are you listening?'
'Yes' said Tiffany.
'Good now...If you trust in yourself.."
'Yes..?'
'..and believe in your dreams...'
'yes?'
'...and follow your star..' Miss Tick went on.
'Yes?'
'You'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye.'
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  16:26:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
I don't think that's a word
Yeah, Plyss's got a point. But sometimes it's hard. I mean, look at V... how can you keep diplomatic with someone like him?

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

H. Humbert
SFN Die Hard

USA
4574 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2004 :  16:51:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send H. Humbert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Plyss[1] Is that even a word?

No, but reasonableness is. You left off an "s."

"A man is his own easiest dupe, for what he wishes to be true he generally believes to be true." --Demosthenes

"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself - and you are the easiest person to fool." --Richard P. Feynman

"Face facts with dignity." --found inside a fortune cookie
Edited by - H. Humbert on 12/02/2004 16:51:35
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2004 :  01:36:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia
I mean, look at V... how can you keep diplomatic with someone like him?

It's not Verlch that i have trouble staying diplomatic with. It's the likes of JerryB who's combination of beligerence and idiocy drove me to the edge. Also, his overuse of the phrase "LOL" is enough to drive even the most reasonable into fits of screaming rage.
*shudder*
Anyway, thanks for the correction, Humbert, i noticed the word looked kind of strange the way i wrote it, but i just couldn't put my finger on it. No more late-night posting for me.

Miss Tick sniffed. 'You could say this piece of advice is pricesless', she said. 'Are you listening?'
'Yes' said Tiffany.
'Good now...If you trust in yourself.."
'Yes..?'
'..and believe in your dreams...'
'yes?'
'...and follow your star..' Miss Tick went on.
'Yes?'
'You'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye.'
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds.