HK Evangelism have discovered Noah Ark.
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

bebebebebe123

2 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  14:39:33  Show Profile Send bebebebebe123 a Private Message
See it for yourself, and make some comment, thanks!

www.media.org.hk/noahsark/asp/apply1_eng.asp#title3

Thanks for analysising this piece since I am a foreigner & the English seems less baised than the Chinese version. At least not that "religious".

Edited by - bebebebebe123 on 11/23/2004 16:27:04

satans_mom
Skeptic Friend

USA
148 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  15:00:20   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send satans_mom an AOL message  Send satans_mom a Yahoo! Message Send satans_mom a Private Message
Why do I have to download a Chinese language pack for this site?

Yo mama's so fat, she's on both sides of the family.

Go to Top of Page

Ricky
SFN Die Hard

USA
4907 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  15:03:15   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Ricky an AOL message Send Ricky a Private Message
This is far from discovering the ark.

quote:
The exploration team discovered that ice water and sand grains were flowing from a higher elevation and could almost see a large rectangular wooden structure underneath.

They could almost see a large rectangular structure? I'm not quite clear on how you could almost see something, and still know its there. If you "almost" see it, that means you haven't seen it right? But they know its there, so then they have seen it.

quote:
Covered by several layers of ice and mud, the top was flat and formed a gently elevated platform of 50 square metres in area.

What were the actual dimensions according to the Bible? 50 meters sounds too small.

quote:
It was estimated that the black wall was actually a mixture of burnt wood and volcanic ash and this part was the outer shell of the Ark.

Why can't they tell? Why do they have to guess? Normally, it is almost a trival thing to see what something is made of with testing.

quote:
Pastor Li discovered a strange structure on the outside with human-like face and bull-like horns suggesting that it was not to be entered. On the vertical side, there were three large funnel-shaped cracks through which ice water flowed.

Sounds a lot like the face on mars...

I think we will just have to wait until more is revealed.

Why continue? Because we must. Because we have the call. Because it is nobler to fight for rationality without winning than to give up in the face of continued defeats. Because whatever true progress humanity makes is through the rationality of the occasional individual and because any one individual we may win for the cause may do more for humanity than a hundred thousand who hug their superstitions to their breast.
- Isaac Asimov
Go to Top of Page

Cuneiformist
The Imperfectionist

USA
4955 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  15:07:16   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Cuneiformist a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by satans_mom

Why do I have to download a Chinese language pack for this site?

Because it's the Chinese who did the exploring. At least, I think so:
quote:
The exploration team discovered that ice water and sand grains were flowing from a higher elevation and could almost see a large rectangular wooden structure underneath. Covered by several layers of ice and mud, the top was flat and formed a gently elevated platform of 50 square metres in area. It seemed to be a corner of a great structure with its greater bulk buried deep in the snow. On the vertical side, they could see a black wall ingrained with layers of volcanic ash. They interviewed a local Kurd who knew a lot about the mountain. He pointed out a unique feature in this area that the black mud wall looked very different to the generally red soil all around the mountain. It was estimated that the black wall was actually a mixture of burnt wood and volcanic ash and this part was the outer shell of the Ark.

Pastor Li discovered a strange structure on the outside with human-like face and bull-like horns suggesting that it was not to be entered. On the vertical side, there were three large funnel-shaped cracks through which ice water flowed.

The exploration team removed frozen ice and mud to reveal a very large area of ice on the ground inside. They tested the depth of the ice layer and found that it was just three or four inches deep. Underneath this ice, deep water could be seen. With insufficient equipment, they did not venture inside the structure but used powerful lenses and a night-vision camera to shoot the interior. They recorded a wooden structure which looked like a crossbeam inside.

Finally, the team threw small stones inside to test the dimensons. They listened to the sound carefully and estimated that the space was very wide and very deep. This exploration led to three important discoveries:
(i) a wooden structure had been found on Mount Ararat at a height of 4,200 metres;
(ii) the space was very large, and did not resemble a natural structure;
(iii) the peculiar experience of the team members coincided with mysterious stories common in the region: Kurds call the place where the Ark lies "the Valley of Satan" and say it is guarded by supernatural beings. People living at the foot of the mountain avoid the area and seldom venture there (emph. mine)
Anyhow...

Well, bebebebebe123, I must say that the above blurb is just one of what seems like a thousand claims to have found Noah's old boat. However, without numerous photos, free inspection of data, and significant peer review, these claims are no different than fiction. Let's hope that if something really was uncovered there, it will be made public in some real way soon.

Oh-- and welcome to SFN!!
Go to Top of Page

R.Wreck
SFN Regular

USA
1191 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  15:18:34   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send R.Wreck a Private Message
Welcome bebebebebe123

quote:
The exploration team discovered that ice water and sand grains were flowing from a higher elevation and could almost see a large rectangular wooden structure underneath.

I'm almost ready to say that it almost looks like its almost bullshit. How do "almost see" something, then go on to claim that what you "almost" saw is a 3000 year old mythical ship? Hey, I think I'll head down to the Lottery Commission office with my "almost" winning ticket. I'll bet its worth millions!

Seriously though, why no pictures?

And

quote:
They interviewed a local Kurd who knew a lot about the mountain. He pointed out a unique feature in this area that the black mud wall looked very different to the generally red soil all around the mountain. It was estimated that the black wall was actually a mixture of burnt wood and volcanic ash and this part was the outer shell of the Ark.

How did they "estimate" this? Based on what evidence?

quote:
Pastor Li discovered a strange structure on the outside with human-like face and bull-like horns suggesting that it was not to be entered.
Kurds call the place where the Ark lies "the Valley of Satan" and say it is guarded by supernatural beings.

Oh, wait! That settles it then. Human face with horns (the international symbol for "Do Not Enter"), and a superstitious local legend too. Has to be the ark up there.

The foundation of morality is to . . . give up pretending to believe that for which there is no evidence, and repeating unintelligible propositions about things beyond the possibliities of knowledge.
T. H. Huxley

The Cattle Prod of Enlightened Compassion
Go to Top of Page

@tomic
Administrator

USA
4607 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  15:32:28   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit @tomic's Homepage Send @tomic a Private Message
Talk about lowering the bar for proof. I'd call this entire article a bald faced lie. If all that's required for proof is an article then I could write such an article about how god doesn't exist and all the Christians could start sleeping in on Sundays.

@

Gravity, not just a good idea...it's the law!

Sportsbettingacumen.com: The science of sports betting
Go to Top of Page

Siberia
SFN Addict

Brazil
2322 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  15:53:58   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Siberia's Homepage  Send Siberia an AOL message  Send Siberia a Yahoo! Message Send Siberia a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by @tomic

Talk about lowering the bar for proof. I'd call this entire article a bald faced lie. If all that's required for proof is an article then I could write such an article about how god doesn't exist and all the Christians could start sleeping in on Sundays.

@

And then I could write another article saying you're wrong, since I'm so obviously the Goddess. And that from now on, every mortal has to pay respects to me.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

"Why are you afraid of something you're not even sure exists?"
- The Kovenant, Via Negativa

"People who don't like their beliefs being laughed at shouldn't have such funny beliefs."
-- unknown
Go to Top of Page

Dave W.
Info Junkie

USA
26020 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  17:32:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Visit Dave W.'s Homepage Send Dave W. a Private Message
Gotcha beat, R.Wreck. I almost saw that my bank balance is a billion dollars.
It was estimated that the black wall was actually a mixture of burnt wood and volcanic ash and this part was the outer shell of the Ark
Which Bible verse talks about the Ark having at least an inner and outer shell? Which one tells how God told Noah to burn the wood and smear it with volcanic ash? What Ark are these people looking for?

Ricky wrote:
quote:
What were the actual dimensions according to the Bible? 50 meters sounds too small.
The NIV (linked above) says 140 meters by 23 meters. If rectangular, that'd be 3,220 square meters. 50 square meters is too small by a lot, but maybe they almost saw only part of it.

- Dave W. (Private Msg, EMail)
Evidently, I rock!
Why not question something for a change?
Visit Dave's Psoriasis Info, too.
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/23/2004 :  17:40:11   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Siberia

quote:
Originally posted by @tomic

@

And then I could write another article saying you're wrong, since I'm so obviously the Goddess. And that from now on, every mortal has to pay respects to me.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

Hell, we already do, and are!

This is yet another one; they seem to come around every couple of years as if they were on some sort of cycle. The doughty explorers are usually either from a Christian organization or are working a con. Or both, one sometimes suspects.

I want to see some un-doctored photos and the results of some C-14 tests to prove age, and testemony from a secular archological team before I buy into any of it. Indeed, I would prefer to read of all this in a scientific journal.

At the rate it's going, I don't see it happenin'.

Welcome to SFN, bebebebebe123!

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

beskeptigal
SFN Die Hard

USA
3834 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2004 :  05:11:56   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send beskeptigal a Private Message
My bet is that this site is really a scam to get money. I bet it is a totally fake website.
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2004 :  09:33:00   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
Apparently this represents a "strange structure with human-like face and bull-like horns". Could someone please talk me through it, because i fail to see any such thing.

Miss Tick sniffed. 'You could say this piece of advice is pricesless', she said. 'Are you listening?'
'Yes' said Tiffany.
'Good now...If you trust in yourself.."
'Yes..?'
'..and believe in your dreams...'
'yes?'
'...and follow your star..' Miss Tick went on.
'Yes?'
'You'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye.'
Go to Top of Page

Dr. Mabuse
Septic Fiend

Sweden
9687 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2004 :  18:51:27   [Permalink]  Show Profile  Send Dr. Mabuse an ICQ Message Send Dr. Mabuse a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Plyss

Apparently this represents a "strange structure with human-like face and bull-like horns". Could someone please talk me through it, because i fail to see any such thing.

I think I found something that looks like the nose of a camel.

Note, If this image is considered a copyright violation, please remove it, or let me know so I can do it.

Dr. Mabuse - "When the going gets tough, the tough get Duct-tape..."
Dr. Mabuse whisper.mp3

"Equivocation is not just a job, for a creationist it's a way of life..." Dr. Mabuse

Support American Troops in Iraq:
Send them unarmed civilians for target practice..
Collateralmurder.
Go to Top of Page

Plyss
Skeptic Friend

Netherlands
231 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2004 :  00:32:52   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send Plyss a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Mabuse
Note, If this image is considered a copyright violation, please remove it, or let me know so I can do it.

To the best of my knowledge reproducing images for the purpose of critical analysis is considered fair use.

Miss Tick sniffed. 'You could say this piece of advice is pricesless', she said. 'Are you listening?'
'Yes' said Tiffany.
'Good now...If you trust in yourself.."
'Yes..?'
'..and believe in your dreams...'
'yes?'
'...and follow your star..' Miss Tick went on.
'Yes?'
'You'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy. Goodbye.'
Go to Top of Page

ktesibios
SFN Regular

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2004 :  01:04:49   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send ktesibios a Private Message
Well, if we're going to have a pareidolia contest, when I look at the part of the picture to the right of what Dr. Mab circled I can almost see...

a Beagle!

And of course that's an obvious "stay away" sign.

"The Republican agenda is to turn the United States into a third-world shithole." -P.Z.Myers
Go to Top of Page

filthy
SFN Die Hard

USA
14408 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2004 :  04:48:35   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send filthy a Private Message
Hmph. All I see is a medium boulder showing signs of erosion and frost fractures. Maybe I jest ain't a'seein' 'er from the right perspective, maybe. Like through the bottom of a beer bottle.

As boulders go, it's a very nice one, though.

"What luck for rulers that men do not think." -- Adolf Hitler (1889 - 1945)

"If only we could impeach on the basis of criminal stupidity, 90% of the Rethuglicans and half of the Democrats would be thrown out of office." ~~ P.Z. Myres

"The default position of human nature is to punch the other guy in the face and take his stuff." ~~ Dude

Brother Boot Knife of Warm Humanitarianism,

and Crypto-Communist!

Go to Top of Page

moakley
SFN Regular

USA
1888 Posts

Posted - 11/26/2004 :  07:13:44   [Permalink]  Show Profile Send moakley a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by ktesibios

a Beagle!

Darwin's ship is near the top of Mt. Ararat !!!!

Life is good

Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned. -Anonymous
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly Bookmark this Topic BookMark Topic
Jump To:

The mission of the Skeptic Friends Network is to promote skepticism, critical thinking, science and logic as the best methods for evaluating all claims of fact, and we invite active participation by our members to create a skeptical community with a wide variety of viewpoints and expertise.

Home | Skeptic Forums | Skeptic Summary | The Kil Report | Creation/Evolution | Rationally Speaking | Skeptillaneous | About Skepticism | Fan Mail | Claims List | Calendar & Events | Skeptic Links | Book Reviews | Gift Shop | SFN on Facebook | Staff | Contact Us

Skeptic Friends Network
© 2008 Skeptic Friends Network Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds.